News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Home Crafts

Started by Munch, September 26, 2017, 07:01:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

Just a place for fun stuff we make at home that isn't drawings and baking.

I've taken a hobby of repurposing glass jars, instead of just throwing them out, and using them for craft.

One of the problems with using old jam, honey, pickle and similar glass jars is getting the labels off. Thankfully I found a solution. I first soak the jars in boiling water for ah hour, and then scrap off the labels with the back of a knife.

But that leaves the label adhesive, which is harder to get off. Thankfully I found a good youtube video and tip on removing adhesive paste from glass. Just mix together 3 teaspoons of baking/bicarbonate of soda, with 2-3  teaspoons of sunflower/vegetable oil into a paste, and rub the paste over the adhesive. Scrape it off with the back of a knife or scrubbing pad after half hour, works a treat.

My mum asked me if I could make her a fairy jar, something she saw on youtube, and thought it be a fun project, So I took a old kilner jar, cleaned it, brought fairy silhouettes to glue inside, and brought a can of glass frosting spray, coating it.

pretty happy with the results, I gotta glue on some glitter and buy some twine to decorate it, but otherwise pretty happy with the effect of the frosted glass.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Sorginak

I was expecting the silhouette of a naked lion on there. 

Gawdzilla Sama

Some days this works, some days it sucks.

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Munch

Quote from: Sorginak on September 26, 2017, 10:30:18 AM
I was expecting the silhouette of a naked lion on there.

hey not a bad idea!

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Gawdzilla Sama

Pole dancing? (Innuendo obligatory.)
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Wait, where do you get "frosting spray'?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Munch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 28, 2017, 03:04:48 AM
Wait, where do you get "frosting spray'?

ebay, cost like £3.50 on there, in shops (around paint and decorating isles) they sold it for like £7-8, so was a good find.

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on September 28, 2017, 07:44:17 AM
ebay, cost like £3.50 on there, in shops (around paint and decorating isles) they sold it for like £7-8, so was a good find.

Some things, you never know you want until you learn they exist.  I'm thinking it would be a REALLY NEAT mailbox paint...

Gawdzilla Sama

Munch, there's stuff called "Goo Gone" that removes adhesives a treat.
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 28, 2017, 08:01:34 AM

I've used that and it works pretty well.  The newer the adhesive, the better it works.  It won't clean 20 year old paint of a garage door window, but it is decent.  Smells good too and won't burn your hands like some of the more serious stuff.

Munch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 28, 2017, 08:01:34 AM
oh nifty, might have to try some of that

Gawdzilla Sama

Beware. It dissolves condoms.

Don't ask.
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 28, 2017, 09:57:07 AM
Beware. It dissolves condoms.

Don't ask.

Aside from how you might know that...  Um, actually, that IS the only question...

Munch

My aunts taken up a craft which is pretty interesting. She's been asking me, my mother, brother, her daughter and friends to give her all the plastic bags we have spare from shopping, to keep hold of them and not recycle them.

Thats because she's been doing this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=006K1_0yftc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr_WHW_tGSE

She's managed to create blankets for one of the homeless shelters here in my town, takes a while to make just one blanket, but its a really nice way of helping people out with stuff we'd just throw out.