News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Do you find Americanisms irritating?

Started by St Truth, September 25, 2017, 11:04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 26, 2017, 10:47:53 AM
The Midwestern accent was a favorite of TV execs in the '50s as being the "most neutral" accent for Americans. (You get to define "Midwest".)
And why call centers like placing in Ohio, we can be understood by everyone from the most Brahmin of Bostonians to the most Bayou of Louisianans and all points between and beside.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Mike Cl

Quote from: trdsf on September 26, 2017, 11:25:56 AM
And why call centers like placing in Ohio, we can be understood by everyone from the most Brahmin of Bostonians to the most Bayou of Louisianans and all points between and beside.
Really?  I wish I was connected to call centers in Ohio.  Usually it is Ohio, India!  And I get really tired of hearing myself keep saying--What?  What?
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 26, 2017, 11:38:23 AM
Really?  I wish I was connected to call centers in Ohio.  Usually it is Ohio, India!  And I get really tired of hearing myself keep saying--What?  What?
I like getting calls from India! Those conversations usually end with me saying "...and your mother fucks elephants in Hell."
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

trdsf

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 26, 2017, 11:38:23 AM
Well, okay, call centers that opt to stay in the US, anyway.

I get a kick out of hearing someone with an obvious Indian Subcontinent accent introduce themselves as 'Steve' or 'Brenda'.  Technically possible, but... shyeah, right.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Mike Cl

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 26, 2017, 11:49:38 AM
I like getting calls from India! Those conversations usually end with me saying "...and your mother fucks elephants in Hell."
Yeah, I like getting those calls from India that start--Are you on your computer?  I listen for a heart beat and then utter...............and your mother fucks dead dogs............I have not added, 'in hell' yet, tho.  I like that little flourish at the end.  For some reason I'm usually hung up on.

But the calls I was referring to were the service calls that I make about something I need service on and get sent to a call center in India--or Bangladesh, or some place like that.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 26, 2017, 12:38:00 PM
Yeah, I like getting those calls from India that start--Are you on your computer?  I listen for a heart beat and then utter...............and your mother fucks dead dogs............I have not added, 'in hell' yet, tho.  I like that little flourish at the end.  For some reason I'm usually hung up on.

But the calls I was referring to were the service calls that I make about something I need service on and get sent to a call center in India--or Bangladesh, or some place like that.
Companies are starting to realize that "Live Chat" has no accent.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Quote from: trdsf on September 26, 2017, 12:11:23 PM

I get a kick out of hearing someone with an obvious Indian Subcontinent accent introduce themselves as 'Steve' or 'Brenda'.  Technically possible, but... shyeah, right.
I would but I'm usually trying to understand them because they need to walk me through something or give me some info of some type. 

Baruch

Quote from: Sal1981 on September 26, 2017, 04:05:46 AM
I don't see why this matters.

It is funny.  Ever see a YouTube of Irish people being exposed to Americanisms or American culture for the first time?  Blogs of English people who have gone to college in the US or who have immigrated here?  It is pure social comedy ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Sal1981

Well, that could be one valid reason. If not for making it easier to communicate.

Sendt fra min SM-G920F med Tapatalk

aitm

Would you some tea and biscuits while I play the violin?
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Cavebear

Quote from: St Truth on September 25, 2017, 11:04:33 PM
And the worst about them is they are creeping into England and the rest of the world at a steady pace. A lot of words we use today were dismissed in my parents' time as unacceptable Americanisms. I'm sure it's an indisputable fact that British English is linguistically superior. After all, English isn't just our language, it's also our national identity. There are a lot of nuances and different shades of meaning that we have now lost because of the corrosion of our language by Americanisms. The domination of US English has a lot to do with their film industry. English books that are published in the US by English authors are routinely translated into US English by the publishers but American books published in Britain retain their language.  Try reading Harry Potter published in the US and you'll see I'm right.

I may not be politically correct but I'm truthful for I am...

St Truth

You might be surprised to learn that I would love to read a standard college world history book from England.  And from other countries translated literally in any version of English. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 28, 2017, 01:48:19 AM
You might be surprised to learn that I would love to read a standard college world history book from England.  And from other countries translated literally in any version of English.

Empire: A History of the British Empire ... by a Welshman, is an eye opener.  Trevor Lloyd is the author.  Americans have so many engrained prejudices about England, and Anglophones have even more engrained prejudices about non-English speakers.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 28, 2017, 07:43:12 PM
Empire: A History of the British Empire ... by a Welshman, is an eye opener.  Trevor Lloyd is the author.  Americans have so many engrained prejudices about England, and Anglophones have even more engrained prejudices about non-English speakers.

Well, I meant more high school or college textbooks to see what they say compared to US ones.  Not to know "The Real History", but to see the cultural differences.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

sdelsolray

The evidence reveals language changes over time among the various populations that use it.

Deal with it.

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 26, 2017, 10:47:53 AM
The Midwestern accent was a favorite of TV execs in the '50s as being the "most neutral" accent for Americans. (You get to define "Midwest".)
I grew up in Chicago and never paid much attention to accents other than the southern accent.  I moved to Montana when I was 17, and it seemed like people talked pretty normal.  I remember hearing about the Chicago accent, and even though I was from there, I had no clue what it sounded like.  Years later, the Chicago accent popped up in a movie and hit me like a brick.  I recognized the tonal patterns and word emphasis immediately, and for the first time, I understood what the Chicago accent sounded like.  I didn't speak that way, at least not in such a pronounced way, and I wasn't aware of it as an accent.  The thing is, not everyone from Chicago talks that way.  I remember that some older men's speech sounded odd to me, and it was not uncommon among the older generation.  I don't know why, but I came to the conclusion that these were Polish immigrants or people from the lower class that never learned how to talk properly.  Instead of "the" it was "duh",  and  "for" came out "fir"  I thought it was just people from the low end of society.

Years ago, SNL made a whole series of skits centered around a bunch of Chicago males drinking beer in a bar and praising "duh Shikago Barres and dare coach Joe Dit-ka  Let's have a drink fir duh Berres.  Now one fir Dit-ka."  It just sounds like people who speak poorly to me.  But in Chicago, it's accepted and expected as normal I guess.