Career suggestion to pupils. WTF?

Started by pr126, September 25, 2017, 10:14:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

And the GOP can control what we do with our bodies even further. Not a fan.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gilgamesh on September 27, 2017, 12:06:50 PM
All sex work needs to be legal. Then make it safe with regulations. Then it's a career path like any other.

Yes, that is working in Venezuela.  Women there, even with PhD, are moonlighting as sex workers ... because they want to buy toilet paper.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gilgamesh

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 27, 2017, 01:34:15 PM
And the GOP can control what we do with our bodies even further. Not a fan.

What do you mean? Having sex work be illegal is far more controlling of what people can do with their own body than making it NOT illegal. Make it legal, so then we can put regulation in place that make it safe for women, which it currently isn't. All work is regulated to make it safe for the workers. If it wasn't the corporation would have the workers in horrible conditions, because all the corporate cares about is the profit margin.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Gilgamesh on September 27, 2017, 12:06:50 PM
All sex work needs to be legal. Then make it safe with regulations. Then it's a career path like any other.
I don't like this!!  I agree 100%!  Get the pimp and the disease out of the equation--healthier and saner for all.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Gilgamesh on September 27, 2017, 01:43:44 PM
What do you mean? Having sex work be illegal is far more controlling of what people can do with their own body than making it NOT illegal. Make it legal, so then we can put regulation in place that make it safe for women, which it currently isn't. All work is regulated to make it safe for the workers. If it wasn't the corporation would have the workers in horrible conditions, because all the corporate cares about is the profit margin.
You don't think that having laws regarding sex work won't make the Grim Old Party think up  some right dandy laws?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gilgamesh

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 27, 2017, 02:41:30 PM
You don't think that having laws regarding sex work won't make the Grim Old Party think up  some right dandy laws?

Even if they did, it'd still be a net gain for people who want to have a right to do with their body as they please . Having it legal but with certain ways of practicing it illegal versus having it completely illegal.

Edit: But all work is regulated by the state. It is generally accepted as needed unless you're a libertarian. The alternative is having corporations exploit the worker utterly and completely, and surely you don't want that.

Gawdzilla Sama

You took a  hard turn there that I'm not going to follow.
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 27, 2017, 02:53:58 PM
You took a  hard turn there that I'm not going to follow.

You skidded off into the ditch, long ago ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

As odd as it seems to me, many younger people seem to consider "the sex trade" as entirely legitimate.  I don't think much of the idea, but it seems to be spreading.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 28, 2017, 01:36:17 AM
As odd as it seems to me, many younger people seem to consider "the sex trade" as entirely legitimate.  I don't think much of the idea, but it seems to be spreading.

Not that I approve of puritanism, but you can say one thing for it ... if a girl got pregnant without being married first, she was in trouble.  If a young man got a girl pregnant without marrying her first, the girl's father terminated his future ability to father children ;-)

The problem with sex trade is something like doing it with multiple partners for free .. it is a simple invitation to STD.  Yes, have your partner completely checked out, every time, even if you are married to them ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on September 28, 2017, 01:36:17 AM
Twenty years in the Navy, met hookers in lots of countries. Some not so happy, others entirely comfortable with themselves. I think we should study the various systems and see what would work here.
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 28, 2017, 07:41:49 PM
Twenty years in the Navy, met hookers in lots of countries. Some not so happy, others entirely comfortable with themselves. I think we should study the various systems and see what would work here.

That and build canals to all the inland cities, so that the sailors on leave can more easily visit them ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 28, 2017, 07:47:07 PM
That and build canals to all the inland cities, so that the sailors on leave can more easily visit them ;-)

If prostitutes depended on just sailors, they would starve.  Local trade is much more dependable.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 01, 2017, 03:46:01 AM
If prostitutes depended on just sailors, they would starve.  Local trade is much more dependable.

Perhaps.  Perhaps sailors are more experienced lovers ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Sal1981

Having prostitution illegal gives, like with illegal drugs trade, power to criminals.

Having registered and legal prostitution, you can monitor it for health concerns (STDs) and protect prostitutes in a regulated setting, even tax it too.