News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

What is fiction?

Started by Baruch, September 24, 2017, 11:05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: aitm on October 08, 2017, 08:57:31 AM
I have had a book in my mind for years of short stories where the main characters in each story were all average or below average, by that, either in intelligence, social status or simply kind of a schmo. But in each story an event would happen and they would make a conscious decision to take action and to become a hero. And in each story just as the moment of greatness was at hand, some type of calamity would occur and they would be killed or their efforts would be completely overlooked, missed or simply misconstrued so that no one would ever know they even attempted. But after thinking of several story lines, I decided that,  while one story might be good, several of the same type of ending would simply be disheartening to a reader.

Mine are more how the bow was discovered, how horses were domesticated, how gold was first melted, etc.  LOL!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 08, 2017, 09:20:33 AM
Mine are more how the bow was discovered, how horses were domesticated, how gold was first melted, etc.  LOL!

You wrote Clan Of The Cavebear?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on October 02, 2017, 11:41:34 AM
Fiction? Why it's all 100% true all the time.  They can't write things that aren't true!  Everyone knows that.
Please don't say that, or else I'll have to acknowledge that Star Wars had prequels.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 08, 2017, 01:53:56 PM
You wrote Clan Of The Cavebear?

Jean Auel, you Court Fool.  But the day we got internet at the office, the first 2 phrases I searched were "Atheist" and "Clan of the Cave Bear". 

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 08, 2017, 11:14:40 PM
Jean Auel, you Court Fool.  But the day we got internet at the office, the first 2 phrases I searched were "Atheist" and "Clan of the Cave Bear".

So the female protagonist of "Clan of the Cave Bear" invented atheism too?  Amazing.  What will French feminist cave women think of next? ;-))
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Ugh.  I've had an awful time lately with inspiration, so I've been editing rather than writing.  The last idea I've had is too derivative of Robinson's Callahan's Cross-Time Saloon or Clarke's Tales of the White Hart.  I could probably still do something useful with it, but I'll put it off for a while.

Fortunately, there is something satisfying in a simple word tweak that vastly improves not just the structure of the sentence and paragraph, but also of the story.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on October 09, 2017, 06:40:04 PM
Ugh.  I've had an awful time lately with inspiration, so I've been editing rather than writing.  The last idea I've had is too derivative of Robinson's Callahan's Cross-Time Saloon or Clarke's Tales of the White Hart.  I could probably still do something useful with it, but I'll put it off for a while.

Fortunately, there is something satisfying in a simple word tweak that vastly improves not just the structure of the sentence and paragraph, but also of the story.

I like reading and editing better than writing.  I have never had a grand inspiration to write more than an essay, and never fiction.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 09, 2017, 10:46:41 AM
So the female protagonist of "Clan of the Cave Bear" invented atheism too?  Amazing.  What will French feminist cave women think of next? ;-))

I never said that, but that never stops you from suggesting something never said.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 11, 2017, 05:04:24 AM
I never said that, but that never stops you from suggesting something never said.

Some people's posts are so poor, I have to improve them ;-))
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 11, 2017, 07:19:36 AM
Some people's posts are so poor, I have to improve them ;-))

With what was never said?  I reverse don't actually not agree with opposite possibly unnegative.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 11, 2017, 02:56:17 PM
With what was never said?  I reverse don't actually not agree with opposite possibly unnegative.

Your clearest post yet!

Opposite possibly unnegative ... a opposite of a possibly positive (including zero) aka a possibly negative (including zero).

Don't actually not agree ... if we accept black/white conditions, that means you agree (I think).  So so rare we have you agreeing to a possible negative (including zero).

Reversing that means that you disagree with agreeing to a possible negative (including zero).  Agreeing to disagree means you have some position, that is in disagreement with some other position.  "What was never said" qualifies as a zero ... not a possible net negative.  So that fits the bottom structure of your layered utterance.  Meaning that you are agreeing to disagree with a possible non-statement.  You think there was an implication in what I seem to have said, and you are agreeing to disagree about that.  Wheww!  Reminds me of ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_eZmEiyTo0

Don't drink the wine!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 11, 2017, 08:26:19 PM
Your clearest post yet!

Opposite possibly unnegative ... a opposite of a possibly positive (including zero) aka a possibly negative (including zero).

Don't actually not agree ... if we accept black/white conditions, that means you agree (I think).  So so rare we have you agreeing to a possible negative (including zero).

Reversing that means that you disagree with agreeing to a possible negative (including zero).  Agreeing to disagree means you have some position, that is in disagreement with some other position.  "What was never said" qualifies as a zero ... not a possible net negative.  So that fits the bottom structure of your layered utterance.  Meaning that you are agreeing to disagree with a possible non-statement.  You think there was an implication in what I seem to have said, and you are agreeing to disagree about that.  Wheww!  Reminds me of ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_eZmEiyTo0

Don't drink the wine!

So you are telling me I should then?  Well, OK, cheers.