News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Male or Female?

Started by Sorginak, September 24, 2017, 11:33:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sorginak

When you play a computer game or a platform game, do you play a male or female character?

First, state your gender and then the gender of the character you usually play in a game.

For me, I am male.
I always play male characters in games.

Munch

Male and almost always male characters. On occasion I'll play a female for something different, but for me its about how attractive looking my player character is to play as.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Mike Cl

Male, and about 75% female.  And this irritates my youngest grandson no end.  "Why are you always a female??"  After grinning in the biggest fashion I can, I tell him (again) that when I play a character I usually have to look at them quite a bit--I prefer to look at females than males.  He always finds this explanation unsatisfying--which makes me grin even deeper!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Sorginak

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 24, 2017, 12:12:45 PM
Male, and about 75% female.  And this irritates my youngest grandson no end.  "Why are you always a female??"  After grinning in the biggest fashion I can, I tell him (again) that when I play a character I usually have to look at them quite a bit--I prefer to look at females than males.  He always finds this explanation unsatisfying--which makes me grin even deeper!

That tends to be the explanation of straight men who play female characters, from my gaming experience. 

Munch

yeah pretty much, my straight male friends either mostly had a mix of male and female, or more leaning toward female characters, where as my gay friends had the opposite all mostly male. It really just bottles down to what you find attractive. Its why in games with face sliders people design their character to look as good to them as they want to look at, not make the character look like themselves.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Blackleaf

Quote from: Sorginak on September 24, 2017, 11:33:21 AM
When you play a computer game or a platform game, do you play a male or female character?

First, state your gender and then the gender of the character you usually play in a game.

For me, I am male.

Male, generally play as females when there's an option. Not sure why. I think it might have to do with my interest in roleplaying. Playing as a female makes my character different, which makes it easier to separate myself from reality. But at the same time, my character isn't so different that I'm left on an alien world with nothing to fall back on, which is why I usually roleplay as human characters when beast, elven, or alien races are also options. Also, females are nicer to look at from behind, so...
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Mike Cl

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 24, 2017, 04:00:35 PM
Male, generally play as females when there's an option. Not sure why. I think it might have to do with my interest in roleplaying. Playing as a female makes my character different, which makes it easier to separate myself from reality. But at the same time, my character isn't so different that I'm left on an alien world with nothing to fall back on, which is why I usually roleplay as human characters when beast, elven, or alien races are also options. Also, females are nicer to look at from behind, so...
I find I always play a human or human like character.  The only time I don't play human is in Skyrim when I am a Wood Elf--I like archers, so the Wood Elf is perfect with their boost to archery.  But then the Elf looks like a human in Skyrim, so I almost don't count that.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hydra009

Quote from: Sorginak on September 24, 2017, 11:33:21 AMWhen you play a computer game or a platform game, do you play a male or female character?

For me, I am male.
Male.  I mostly play as male (around a 2-1 ratio), though when I have the option, I typically play as a robot/alien without a distinct sex.

trdsf

Quote from: Munch on September 24, 2017, 12:44:08 PM
yeah pretty much, my straight male friends either mostly had a mix of male and female, or more leaning toward female characters, where as my gay friends had the opposite all mostly male. It really just bottles down to what you find attractive. Its why in games with face sliders people design their character to look as good to them as they want to look at, not make the character look like themselves.
Same way for me.  If I'm going to be looking at a character most of the time in a game, I shall prefer to look at males.  Evil Twin, who's straight, plays females because he'd rather look at them.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

I tend toward either a bit randomly.  In Civ 2 I am perfectly happy being Cleopatra of the Egyptians or Thor of the Vikings.  Or Hera of the Greeks.  If I had a game with Amazons, I might make a joke and be Genghis Khan. 

In earlier quest games, my teams were generally about 50/50. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!