News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Trumps UN Speech

Started by Drew_2017, September 20, 2017, 09:50:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on October 04, 2017, 02:22:56 PM
The idea would be to basically eliminate all the N Korean artillery stuff at the start.  After that, they are gone.  Before they get nuclear weapons to launch.
Are you aware of the extensive tunnel system that NK has?  Some of the tunnels are aimed at SK (most are big enough to allow two tanks side-by-side to travel forward), but apparently we don't know where all of them are.  Do you trust that we have all of his missile sites and ammo dumps located?  I think he is just crazy enough to have hundreds of such  hidden sites and may have many missiles on a moments notice to launch.  And if he thought he was going to die, would he spare Russia or China or any other area he could reach?
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on October 04, 2017, 03:11:45 PM
Are you aware of the extensive tunnel system that NK has?  Some of the tunnels are aimed at SK (most are big enough to allow two tanks side-by-side to travel forward), but apparently we don't know where all of them are.  Do you trust that we have all of his missile sites and ammo dumps located?  I think he is just crazy enough to have hundreds of such  hidden sites and may have many missiles on a moments notice to launch.  And if he thought he was going to die, would he spare Russia or China or any other area he could reach?

Of course not.  But if we HAD to do something,  you have to do what you can to mitigate the response.    Better to destroy what you can 5 minutes before they launch than 5 minutes after.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on October 04, 2017, 03:41:18 PM
Of course not.  But if we HAD to do something,  you have to do what you can to mitigate the response.    Better to destroy what you can 5 minutes before they launch than 5 minutes after.
Okay, I get that.  But I'd like to think that the powers that be are actually trying to diffuse the situation rather than making it worse.  I don't feel that right now.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Sylar

Quote from: chill98 on October 04, 2017, 10:49:03 AM
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/21/world/asia/trump-korea-japan.html

Trade with China comprises 90% of North Korea's trade (as of 2014): http://www.38north.org/2015/10/rfrank102215/.

Not sure how new sanctions that don't take that into account will fare better than previous ones.

Quote from: chill98 on October 04, 2017, 10:49:03 AMI am going out on a limb here and guessing you did not watch the Trump speech and personally have no idea what parts people [allegedly] cringed at, which is why you have to resort to (I am guessing a personal fav for you) the estate tax.   You are making up scenarios to compensate for your lack of firsthand knowledge of the ACTUAL speech.

I didn't watch the speech; I read the transcript. You are discussing body language with someone else, not with me. I do not care about body language or establishing whether someone cringed or not.

Our conversation started when I inquired if you actually think Trump and T-Rex are at odds with respect to giving their buddies great deals. I gave the estate tax example as support for my position that they are not at odds.

Quote from: chill98 on October 04, 2017, 10:49:03 AMHere's my personal (and too poor to be affected by it) opinion on the Death Tax.

The Estate Tax === Grave robbing.

You're not going to change my opinion about that.

Quite simplistic and lacking nuisance, but OK. Suit yourself.

Quote from: chill98 on October 04, 2017, 10:49:03 AMThe UN is a vacuum.  Congress, SCotUS, the executive branch, and ultimately the US voters are what impacts US policy.  Period.  And that is the way it should be.

You're wrong. Money is what impacts US policy. Case in point: NRA lobby and gun legislation.

Quote from: chill98 on October 04, 2017, 10:49:03 AMFair game for discussion if you have a willing participant in a related topic.  Therefore, I decide which participants are worth discussion with.  The mods are irrelevant to that end.

And as soon as you decide I'm not a worthy participant, this discussion will cease.

Quote from: chill98 on October 04, 2017, 10:49:03 AMFinally, thoughout this thread the only substantial complaint about the ACTUAL speech comes from the N. Korean statement, when, if looked at as written, is more hot air from the complainers and I quote:

The United States has great strength and patience, but if it is forced to defend itself or its allies, we will have no choice but to totally destroy North Korea.

/quote

And that will be entirely Rocketmans fault if it happens.

Comrade Kill All Fun doesn't give a shit about US -- he only cares about self-preservation. He will never initiate an attack against US (so US doesn't get an excuse to bomb the shit out of him) and he will never give up his nukes and ICBMs (so he doesn't end up like Saddam or Qaddafi).

It is common sense that if attacked, we will retaliate. It's not exactly news. Just fiery language to fire up his base, without actually substance.
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all." --Oscar Wilde

chill98

Quote from: Sylar on October 04, 2017, 06:30:56 PM
Trade with China comprises 90% of North Korea's trade (as of 2014): http://www.38north.org/2015/10/rfrank102215/.

Not sure how new sanctions that don't take that into account will fare better than previous ones.

Me neither.  But your question was:

Quote from: SylarWhat actions does Trump plan to take with respect to North Korea as a follow-up to his speech's rhetoric at the United Nations?

Which shows Trump is not going nuke.  Trump is exploring other options first

Quote from: Sylar on October 04, 2017, 06:30:56 PM
I didn't watch the speech; I read the transcript. You are discussing body language with someone else, not with me. I do not care about body language or establishing whether someone cringed or not.

Yet (and I quote)

Quote from: SylarCorrect me if I'm wrong, but what you're saying is that if T-Rex were to cringe during Trump's speech, he'd cringe at Trump [allegedly] preventing him from getting his buddies great deals?

So there you are using body language and ignoring my actual response to that poster:

QuoteSo, in reflection and based on Tillersons work experience, Trumps speech would make him cringe if he planned on getting his corporate buddies great deals.  And I quote:

Trump Quote

For too long, the American people were told that mammoth multinational trade deals, unaccountable international tribunals, and powerful global bureaucracies were the best way to promote their success. But as those promises flowed, millions of jobs vanished and thousands of factories disappeared. Others gamed the system and broke the rules. And our great middle class, once the bedrock of American prosperity, was forgotten and left behind, but they are forgotten no more and they will never be forgotten again.
/ trump quote

Yeah, I can see Tillerson cringing at this.  But not for the reasons you [poster] imply.

Quote from: SylarOur conversation started when I inquired if you actually think Trump and T-Rex are at odds with respect to giving their buddies great deals. I gave the estate tax example as support for my position that they are not at odds.

See above speech quote.  Yes I think they are at odds on several fronts. Not all of them, maybe not most of them.

Quote from: Sylar
You're wrong. Money is what impacts US policy. Case in point: NRA lobby and gun legislation.

LoL, its not the money in this example, its the votes.  One thing often forgotten is lots of democrats own guns too. 

Quote from: SylarComrade Kill All Fun doesn't give a shit about US -- he only cares about self-preservation. He will never initiate an attack against US (so US doesn't get an excuse to bomb the shit out of him) and he will never give up his nukes and ICBMs (so he doesn't end up like Saddam or Qaddafi).

It is common sense that if attacked, we will retaliate. It's not exactly news. Just fiery language to fire up his base, without actually substance.

First, you cannot guarantee rocketman will not launch an attack on s.korea, japan or even US holdings.  Otherwise, on this we agree mostly.  Which is the topic of the thread.  So far, there has been NO substantial complaint about the Trump UN speech in this thread. 

I disliked trump and all he represented.  Didn't buy into 'the Donald' meme when it was current events.  Did not understand why Oprah gushed over him at the time.  But there it is, a video record spanning a few decades regarding his position on various political issues, some of which I find myself in agreement with.  Some of which are personally important to me and some of which I just find wrong on general purposes.

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on October 04, 2017, 05:36:31 PM
Okay, I get that.  But I'd like to think that the powers that be are actually trying to diffuse the situation rather than making it worse.  I don't feel that right now.

I agree.  But my thought was about what to do "IF"...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!