News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Trumps UN Speech

Started by Drew_2017, September 20, 2017, 09:50:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sorginak

I just change the channel when Trump's face appears on the television. 

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 21, 2017, 06:48:51 AM
Anyone paying attention knows that Trump has gone full MIC, and may have always been that way, or not allowed to run for office.  Unfortunate debut at the UN.  Statesmen aren't produced in the US, just war-mongers ....

There are a lot of MIC acronyms http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/MIC   I'll choose "Moron In Charge".

As to war-mongers, few US Presidents have chosen to be War-Mongers.  Eisenhower resisted Vietnam put sent a few advisors to help our French allies, Kennedy resisted Vietnam but left the advisors and sent a few troops to train the S Vietnamese, Johnson resisted Vietnam saying why do we care.  Every step was a foot into the quicksand. 

Others tried to stay out but allies drew us in. 

My biggest objection is that we don't finish what we start.  Reagan tried CIA operations to stay under the radar.  Bush senior could have ended Saddam early.  Bill Clinton did it about right in the Balkans.  Bush Junior messed up in Afghanistan.  Obama tried to get out but couldn't. 

Trump is trying to start a limited nuclear war.

I'm tired of us being the worlds' policemen.  Let us back out and see what happens...  IT WON'T BE NICE...

The era of post WWII Pax Americana is ending.  A new era of militaristic-global anarchy is beginning.  And we all will regret it.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Sylar

Quote from: Cavebear on September 23, 2017, 03:11:07 AM
There are a lot of MIC acronyms http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/MIC   I'll choose "Moron In Charge".

As to war-mongers, few US Presidents have chosen to be War-Mongers.  Eisenhower resisted Vietnam put sent a few advisors to help our French allies, Kennedy resisted Vietnam but left the advisors and sent a few troops to train the S Vietnamese, Johnson resisted Vietnam saying why do we care.  Every step was a foot into the quicksand. 

Others tried to stay out but allies drew us in. 

My biggest objection is that we don't finish what we start.  Reagan tried CIA operations to stay under the radar.  Bush senior could have ended Saddam early.  Bill Clinton did it about right in the Balkans.  Bush Junior messed up in Afghanistan.  Obama tried to get out but couldn't. 

Trump is trying to start a limited nuclear war.

I'm tired of us being the worlds' policemen.  Let us back out and see what happens...  IT WON'T BE NICE...

The era of post WWII Pax Americana is ending.  A new era of militaristic-global anarchy is beginning.  And we all will regret it.

I think Baruch means "Military Industrial Complex".
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all." --Oscar Wilde

Sylar

Quote from: Drew_2017 on September 20, 2017, 09:50:48 PM
I thought it was direct, to the point and minus the kind of mealy mouth double talk we so typically hear from politicians.

So which parts did you like? Which parts did you dislike?
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all." --Oscar Wilde

Baruch

Quote from: Sylar on September 26, 2017, 08:24:11 PM
I think Baruch means "Military Industrial Complex".

"Military Industrial Complex" ... should be "Military Intelligence Complex".  CIA doesn't want you to know that.  Even Eisenhower didn't want you to know that.  But remember ... military intelligence is an oxymoron ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

fencerider

missing intelligence complex? something to add to my medical terminology. or maybe you meant military indulgence complex

I was trying to see how his speech would appear if we cut out the part about North Korea, but its a little hard to ignore... maybe time for a vacation in Miami. I'll come back to l.a. after the Geiger counter gets down to 100 rads

no it won't be nice Cavebear. if the U.S. stops playing policeman the defense contractors will throw a fit. They think they have a right to our pocketbooks
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Baruch

Quote from: fencerider on September 27, 2017, 12:42:34 AM
missing intelligence complex? something to add to my medical terminology. or maybe you meant military indulgence complex

I was trying to see how his speech would appear if we cut out the part about North Korea, but its a little hard to ignore... maybe time for a vacation in Miami. I'll come back to l.a. after the Geiger counter gets down to 100 rads

no it won't be nice Cavebear. if the U.S. stops playing policeman the defense contractors will throw a fit. They think they have a right to our pocketbooks

In a democracy, every special interest has a right to your pocketbook.  It won't stop until you and I are penniless.  Ancient Athens failed ultimately (due to Spartan hostility).  Without directing money to their fleet, they would have failed immediately (due to Persian hostility).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

chill98

Quote from: Drew_2017 on September 20, 2017, 09:50:48 PM
I thought it was direct, to the point and minus the kind of mealy mouth double talk we so typically hear from politicians.

The first time I read the transcript I was unhappy.  I was disappointed at the toned down nature of his speech.  I had hoped for a more firery speech and thought the word 'kleptocrat/kleptocracy' should have been included at least once. 

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/19/trump-un-speech-2017-full-text-transcript-242879

But I did like how he did not coddle some of the most egregious examples, naming N.Korea, Iran specifically.  I would have preferred a straight up "its embarrassing that Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and UAE sit on the UNHRC; and their very presence is a slap in the face for anything associated with human rights."

rather than this:

In some cases, states that seek to subvert this institution's noble aims have hijacked the very systems that are supposed to advance them. For example, it is a massive source of embarrassment to the United Nations that some governments with egregious human rights records sit on the U.N. Human Rights Council.

So I guess he was really trying to be a good statesman  :)

All around I would give the speech a B. 

Cavebear

Quote from: chill98 on September 27, 2017, 11:22:01 AM
The first time I read the transcript I was unhappy.  I was disappointed at the toned down nature of his speech.  I had hoped for a more firery speech and thought the word 'kleptocrat/kleptocracy' should have been included at least once. 

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/19/trump-un-speech-2017-full-text-transcript-242879

But I did like how he did not coddle some of the most egregious examples, naming N.Korea, Iran specifically.  I would have preferred a straight up "its embarrassing that Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and UAE sit on the UNHRC; and their very presence is a slap in the face for anything associated with human rights."

rather than this:

In some cases, states that seek to subvert this institution's noble aims have hijacked the very systems that are supposed to advance them. For example, it is a massive source of embarrassment to the United Nations that some governments with egregious human rights records sit on the U.N. Human Rights Council.

So I guess he was really trying to be a good statesman  :)

All around I would give the speech a B.

It was an insulting speech Trump gave at the UN.  Secretary of State Tillerson was caught on camera holding his head in his hands in apparent frustration at Trump's speech.  Most Heads Of State were stone-faced angry.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 28, 2017, 12:51:56 AM
It was an insulting speech Trump gave at the UN.  Secretary of State Tillerson was caught on camera holding his head in his hands in apparent frustration at Trump's speech.  Most Heads Of State were stone-faced angry.

Nuke the UN ... they all bought advertisements on Facebook, so they are all ... Annunaki.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 28, 2017, 07:19:43 AM
Nuke the UN ... they all bought advertisements on Facebook, so they are all ... Annunaki.

Another unsupported claim...

chill98

Quote from: Cavebear on September 28, 2017, 12:51:56 AM
LOL

So What?!   Lemme put it another way

Good.

Cavebear

Quote from: chill98 on September 28, 2017, 10:12:11 AM
LOL

So What?!   Lemme put it another way

Good.

Well, yes, the point was that the Trumps' top Secretary cringed at the UN speech, and good for him.  On the other hand, he hasn't resigned, so one could wonder how much personal humiliation a Trump Cabinet member can take.  A LOT, it seems.

chill98

Quote from: Cavebear on September 28, 2017, 10:22:00 AM
Well, yes, the point was that the Trumps' top Secretary cringed at the UN speech, and good for him.  On the other hand, he hasn't resigned, so one could wonder how much personal humiliation a Trump Cabinet member can take.  A LOT, it seems.
I wouldnt peg you for a Tillerson fan.  So what exactly was YOUR point?  Thats the best you can do?  Tillerson seemed unhappy so Trump sucks?  Thats the depth of your analysis?? 

Figures....

Cavebear

Quote from: chill98 on September 28, 2017, 10:34:50 AM
I wouldnt peg you for a Tillerson fan.  So what exactly was YOUR point?  Thats the best you can do?  Tillerson seemed unhappy so Trump sucks?  Thats the depth of your analysis?? 

Figures....

Well I'm not a big Tillerson fan, but I saw his humiliation and who can't feel for THAT?  Obviously, it was either not the speech Tillerson expected (and was therefore out of the inner circle loop), or it was what he expected and was utterly distraught thinking of how he could face he peers in other governments after the debacle. 

I could go either way on that, not knowing what Tillerson knew beforehand.

That's my analysis...  Analyzing Trump speeches is smoking grass and drinking beer at the same time.  For the less experienced, that's like taking an upper and a downer at the same time...