News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

No, it's not

Started by trdsf, September 18, 2017, 12:36:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on September 25, 2017, 12:12:52 AM
You know, even though I was the OP, I completely forgot about it yesterday.  But then, my asshole roommate moved out yesterday (without warning, which figures), so I was imbibing in many manhattans in celebration.  :D

Good luck finding a better roommate.  Meanwhile, goodbye to bad rubbish?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Baruch on September 25, 2017, 12:16:20 AM
Good luck finding a better roommate.  Meanwhile, goodbye to bad rubbish?
I'm not even interested in another roommate right now.  I can afford the place just fine on my own.  There are only two people right now that I would be willing to consider as roommate material.  One is my ex and one is an old friend from WAY back.  Other than them, fuck it.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Mike Cl

Quote from: trdsf on September 25, 2017, 12:12:52 AM
You know, even though I was the OP, I completely forgot about it yesterday.  But then, my asshole roommate moved out yesterday (without warning, which figures), so I was imbibing in many manhattans in celebration.  :D
Congrats on your new-found freedom and peace of mind!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Unbeliever

You mean I survived the apocalypse, and didn't even get a stupid T-shirt?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 25, 2017, 09:39:29 AM
You mean I survived the apocalypse, and didn't even get a stupid T-shirt?

All t-shirts come from China now, and you would be helping the enemy, if you bought one ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

China may be your enemy, but not mine - nor America's, as far as I know.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 25, 2017, 04:04:37 PM
China may be your enemy, but not mine - nor America's, as far as I know.

Says the guy with the Karl Marx avatar ;-)  Sure comrade, tell me a good joke like that, at the next Party Congress.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 24, 2017, 01:08:15 PM
You are the first person to take my statement as non-sarcasm, and make an intelligent question!  Are you the real Unbeliever? ;-)

I study humanity, anthropology, comparative religion thru place and time.  I get into people's head space, living or dead.  Monotheism arises from paganism, so does atheism (all secularism).  Monotheism (to atheists) is a way station on the path from many gods to no gods (full secularism).  However I don't believe in Aristotelian teleology; human life and breakdown of tradition is too great, each generation nearly starts from scratch.  I see all theism as personalism ... and monotheism as fundamentalist paganism.  Jews, Christians and Muslims are far into the fundie spectrum compared to pagans.   That doesn't mean that pagans are necessarily tolerant, they are simply more complex (see modern Sri Lanka ... Buddhist fundies).  To me, secularism is impersonalism.  A few Hindus and Buddhists are impersonalists ... but they are LARPing secularists.  Most Hindus and Buddhists are theistic.

In Greco-Roman culture, there was a continuum from simple peasant to Zeus on Olympus.  Divinity wasn't either/or, but either/and.  Since proclaiming one's divinity was a dangerous political statement, usually this was confined to prominent living people (Alexander or the Emperor Augustus) or recently living prominent people (Julius Caesar).  But this was political, that wasn't the underlying pagan thinking.  But it was articulated, by the rich and powerful, mythologically.

I'm impressed that you acknowledge the gradual religious steps from natural pantheism to multiple specific deities to monotheism.  I didn't know you had it in you.

But you still fail to make the last logical step.  That there can be one less deity than the popular current idea of ONE deity...  Go for "none".  You are almost there.

Take that last step and be free...

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 28, 2017, 03:46:42 AM
I'm impressed that you acknowledge the gradual religious steps from natural pantheism to multiple specific deities to monotheism.  I didn't know you had it in you.

But you still fail to make the last logical step.  That there can be one less deity than the popular current idea of ONE deity...  Go for "none".  You are almost there.

Take that last step and be free...

Why be free?  Free fall doesn't end so good ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 28, 2017, 07:06:06 PM
Why be free?  Free fall doesn't end so good ;-(

The difference between "free" and "free fall" is the difference between "without cost" and "THUD".

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 01, 2017, 06:02:12 AM
The difference between "free" and "free fall" is the difference between "without cost" and "THUD".

There is no free lunch .. it always ends in a THUD.  I hope to die, before the present fantasy economy goes THUD.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 01, 2017, 10:43:22 AM
There is no free lunch .. it always ends in a THUD.  I hope to die, before the present fantasy economy goes THUD.

The eternal jester...

TANSTAAFL.  But the THUD is entirely different, as you well know. 

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 01, 2017, 10:51:12 AM
The eternal jester...

TANSTAAFL.  But the THUD is entirely different, as you well know.

THAD is entirely different, it is in S Korea, to prevent the NorKs from doing any THUDs.  Tell me how you feel when all government pensions are cut to zero, as a way to pay for the tax cuts of the rich ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 01, 2017, 11:06:02 AM
THAD is entirely different, it is in S Korea, to prevent the NorKs from doing any THUDs.  Tell me how you feel when all government pensions are cut to zero, as a way to pay for the tax cuts of the rich ;-(

That has nothing to do with anything, as so many of your posts also do not.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 01, 2017, 11:14:23 AM
That has nothing to do with anything, as so many of your posts also do not.

If it happens (nuke from NorK or killing pensions) you won't find it nothing ;-(  Municipal pensions are nearing self destruction (see Dallas) in shades of Detroit past.  How much longer until Federal pensions and SS are nuked?  Stupid rabbit, tricks are for politicians working for plutocracy.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.