News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

No, it's not

Started by trdsf, September 18, 2017, 12:36:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

O, frabjous day.  Put September 23 on your calendars, some moron has decided that the end of the world is nigh:

Quote from: The Washington Post
But the theory has been getting renewed attention recently. Added to it is the precise date of the astronomical event leading to Earth’s destruction. And that, according to David Meade, is in six days â€" Sept. 23, 2017. Unsealed, an evangelical Christian publication, foretells the Rapture in a viral, four-minute YouTube video, complete with special effects and ominous doomsday soundtrack. It’s called “September 23, 2017: You Need to See This.”

Why Sept. 23, 2017?

Meade’s prediction is based largely on verses and numerical codes in the Bible. He’s honed in one number: 33.

“Jesus lived for 33 years. The name Elohim, which is the name of God to the Jews, was mentioned 33 times [in the Bible],” Meade told The Washington Post. “It’s a very biblically significant, numerologically significant number. I’m talking astronomy. I’m talking the Bible … and merging the two.”

Robert Schumann, in reviewing Frédéric Chopin's Variations on "Là i darem la mano" by Mozart, wrote "Hats off, gentlemen, a genius."

Well, hats back on, gentlemen (and ladies, and anyone else not otherwise included), an idiot.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

fencerider

I been seeing those videos on youtube since March. oddly enough they were saying last year the end of the world was gonna be Sept 23, 2016.

If the world ends on Sept 23, 2017, the culprit will probably be Trump not your guy.... Better wait until late in the day. I wouldn't was to miss the MCAS Miramar air show for the end of the world
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

SGOS

End of the world?  Oh, shit.  I hate it when that happens.  The 23rd is not a good day for me.  I've got to get my firewood in and clean out the garage.

Mike Cl

The Millerites come again--and again--and again.  At least all of these 1000's of predictions do have one thing in common--they are all wrong. 

Nothing biblical can last since it is all fictional.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Blackleaf

Why do Christians keep predicting the end of the world when Jesus specifically said that no one would know the day or the hour of his return, that he'd be like a thief in the night? That doesn't leave much room for interpetation.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 18, 2017, 09:27:58 AM
The Millerites come again--and again--and again.  At least all of these 1000's of predictions do have one thing in common--they are all wrong. 

Nothing biblical can last since it is all fictional.

A broken clock is right twice a day.  Disaster prediction is probably right once a decade.  Apocalypse prediction .. so far .. nada.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on September 18, 2017, 12:44:52 PM
A broken clock is right twice a day.  Disaster prediction is probably right once a decade.  Apocalypse prediction .. so far .. nada.
So far end of the world, or any other kind, of religious predictions are not up to the broken clock standard.  Not by a long shot.  Never right is 0%.  But then their source material is faulty so that stands to reason.  Oooops!  Bad word--reason.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Unbeliever

Yeah, but just because they've been wrong all those other times doesn't mean they'll be wrong this time.

I mean, just look how beautiful it'll be:

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

God Not Found

trdsf

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 18, 2017, 09:38:19 AM
Why do Christians keep predicting the end of the world when Jesus specifically said that no one would know the day or the hour of his return, that he'd be like a thief in the night? That doesn't leave much room for interpetation.
I predict tomorrow will be the end of the world.  Since the prediction has been made, it can't happen tomorrow.

Tomorrow, I will make the same prediction.

Repeat ad infinitum.  Logically, no end of the world ever.  :)
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Unbeliever

Quote from: trdsf on September 18, 2017, 04:34:08 PM
I predict tomorrow will be the end of the world.  Since the prediction has been made, it can't happen tomorrow.

Tomorrow, I will make the same prediction.

Repeat ad infinitum.  Logically, no end of the world ever.  :)
Well, at least as long as you live to keep predicting, anyway.
God Not Found

Baruch

Apocalypse won't be pretty ... no rapture, and nobody to bury all those dead bodies ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Jeremiah 25:33:

QuoteAnd the slain of the Lord shall be at that day from one end of the earth even unto the other end of the earth: they shall not be lamented, neither gathered, nor buried; they shall be dung upon the ground.
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 18, 2017, 06:38:31 PM
Jeremiah 25:33:

Reincarnated as cow patties in India ... sacred dung, but useful for making holy fires in poor villages Unbeliever sahib.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.