Genetically modified .... humans

Started by Coveny, September 15, 2017, 06:55:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 19, 2017, 02:39:53 AM
I read about an artificial womb for deliberately preemie lambs.  It worked.  Can you guess what comes next?

I was a premie ... but I didn't come from Krypton.  But I am a demigod.  What say you, Bear-El?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: pr126 on September 19, 2017, 12:10:39 PM
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley.

People here think you are an Epsilon ... but they are wrong.  They are mostly Betas themselves ... small fish in a big pond.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 19, 2017, 01:14:16 PM
I like Orson Scott Card - even if he is a Mormon. I don't know that he's my favorite, though. I'd have to think more about that. I do like his characters and the moral quandaries they must navigate.

Do his characters escape the quandaries of their special underwear ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 19, 2017, 01:14:16 PM
I like Orson Scott Card - even if he is a Mormon. I don't know that he's my favorite, though. I'd have to think more about that. I do like his characters and the moral quandaries they must navigate.
Heinlein
Asimov.
Jack Chalker.
Anne Mcaffrey.
Niven and/or Pournelle.
David Drake.
Harry Harrison.
John Campbell.
the list is long.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 19, 2017, 01:27:46 PM
But averages, aren't the same as specific results.  There are poor PhDs and wealthy HS grads.

Oh sure, one can be a very educated idiot.  Just look at some Trumpians.  2 of his lawyers were caught sharing a $3000 bottle of wine at lunch last week as if it was a normal thing to do.  Next to a table of reporters.

You have to be pretty dim to do either.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

aitm

Quote from: Baruch on September 19, 2017, 01:27:46 PM
But averages, aren't the same as specific results.  There are poor PhDs and wealthy HS grads.

Meh, I don't care enough to bother trying to prove that collage educated peeps on the average make more money than high school dropouts. I am sure it's out there. Don't care, I know I am right anyway....I always am.........so ..........there. :P~~
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 19, 2017, 01:38:35 PM
Heinlein
Asimov.
Jack Chalker.
Anne Mcaffrey.
Niven and/or Pournelle.
David Drake.
Harry Harrison.
John Campbell.
the list is long.

Damn good list!  You like Chalker?  I have a whole shelf...

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: aitm on September 19, 2017, 06:00:53 PM
Meh, I don't care enough to bother trying to prove that collage educated peeps on the average make more money than high school dropouts. I am sure it's out there. Don't care, I know I am right anyway....I always am.........so ..........there. :P~~
Educated yes, intelligent, no. Many intelligent people never get a chance to even finish high school.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 19, 2017, 06:13:28 PM
Educated yes, intelligent, no. Many intelligent people never get a chance to even finish high school.

I don't want to say that education is over-rated.  I took most "Introduction To..." classes in college I could fit into my major schedule and the general knowledge as been great.  Understanding the basics of botany, geology, and anthropology, etc  inform my life to this day  and I try to keep up with general knowledge as best I can. 

But I've known some self-educated people with high school degrees who are pretty impressive.  I would say, however, that the difference is breadth.

I was sitting in abn office waiting room for a telecommunications meeting (my eventual specialization) and a fellow sat down next to me and mentioned explosives.  We had a grand 15 minutes discussing chemical reactions.  When the receptionist called him into his meeting, he said "well, let's go". 

I had to say that wasn't my meeting.  He asked why I was there and I said "telecommunications".  He asked if I wanted to come to his instead.  I said I couldn't. 

My boss was stunned...

Well...  I had just read a book about explosives.  Learning stuff is fun!

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 19, 2017, 06:13:28 PM

But you didn't answer my question about Chalker...

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on September 23, 2017, 05:52:22 AM
But you didn't answer my question about Chalker...
I've recently read all the Well of Souls books in order. I read the Soul Rider series last winter. I have the River of Dancing Gods series on the shelf. Currently reading the Quintara Marathon.

So, no, never heard of him.
PZ Myers

Sorginak

Quote from: Coveny on September 15, 2017, 06:55:32 PM
So do you think the benefits of genetically modified humans outweigh the negatives?

So long as the genetic modification is simply to remove life threatening diseases, I don't see a problem.

If, on the other hand, a parent wants to genetically modify a child to be straight instead of gay, then I will have a problem because homosexuality is not a life threatening disease no matter how much one's prejudice toward gay people makes them think it is.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Sorginak on September 23, 2017, 08:17:50 AM
So long as the genetic modification is simply to remove life threatening diseases, I don't see a problem.

If, on the other hand, a parent wants to genetically modify a child to be straight instead of gay, then I will have a problem because homosexuality is not a life threatening disease no matter how much one's prejudice toward gay people makes them think it is.
The people in power will draw the lines.
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 23, 2017, 08:27:37 AM
The people in power will draw the lines.

We are the People.  We control who is in power.  We may chose leaders for some reason or another, but we choose.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on September 23, 2017, 08:40:40 AM
We are the People.  We control who is in power.  We may chose leaders for some reason or another, but we choose.
Oh yeah? Who won the last election?
PZ Myers