Genetically modified .... humans

Started by Coveny, September 15, 2017, 06:55:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 17, 2017, 03:33:28 PM
Considering that we have 98% genes in common with chimpanzees, implying that they've been the same since the split, I can't agree with you.

A 2% variation in a different direction (and given gene splicing we can do better than that) you would be a different kind of simian, and living in a zoo.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 17, 2017, 10:11:54 AM
I've taken the first steps toward being a cyborg. Useful.
Me too! I wear glasses. Cyborgs need love too!
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 17, 2017, 04:31:22 PM
Me too! I wear glasses. Cyborgs need love too!
I have hardware implanted. Some of it is helpful.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Mike Cl

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 17, 2017, 03:33:28 PM
Considering that we have 98% genes in common with chimpanzees, implying that they've been the same since the split, I can't agree with you.
That illustrates my point.  At one time, I would imagine that chimps and humans were almost, if not the same collection of genes.  Over time the 100% has degraded to 98%; I would suggest that in another million years (or any other very long time span), the 98% will degrade to 97% and then 96%, etc.  Both human and chimp genes will have mutated and had the mutations take effect.  If we now create gene mutations and don't totally rely on the old method, that degradation of the differences between chimp and human will happen more quickly.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 17, 2017, 05:22:06 PM
That illustrates my point.  At one time, I would imagine that chimps and humans were almost, if not the same collection of genes.  Over time the 100% has degraded to 98%; I would suggest that in another million years (or any other very long time span), the 98% will degrade to 97% and then 96%, etc.  Both human and chimp genes will have mutated and had the mutations take effect.  If we now create gene mutations and don't totally rely on the old method, that degradation of the differences between chimp and human will happen more quickly.
Much longer than that.
Quote7 million years ago
A new study of genes in humans and chimpanzees pins down with greater accuracy when the two species split from one. The evolutionary divergence occurred between 5 million and 7 million years ago, an estimate that improves on the previous range of 3 million to 13 million years in the past.Dec 19, 2005
When Humans and Chimps Split - Live Science
https://www.livescience.com/3996-humans-chimps-split.html
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 17, 2017, 05:39:00 PM
Much longer than that.
Okay--I can accept that time span.  The only point I had was that we seem to be talking about speed of change, not that we will change--slowly or quickly.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 17, 2017, 06:11:11 PM
Okay--I can accept that time span.  The only point I had was that we seem to be talking about speed of change, not that we will change--slowly or quickly.
I'm just pointing out that in 7 million years our DNA changed about 2%. Probably less if you give the chimps equal mutations.
PZ Myers

aitm

The bright spot is that Dick and Jane Dumbfuck cannot afford designer babies while Buffy and Richard can. This alone suggests that hopefully if such comes to fruition, that children born from such devises will be of people of higher normal intellect. And lets face it, those with little intellect will be quite happy with the normal process....
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: aitm on September 17, 2017, 08:50:12 PM
The bright spot is that Dick and Jane Dumbfuck cannot afford designer babies while Buffy and Richard can. This alone suggests that hopefully if such comes to fruition, that children born from such devises will be of people of higher normal intellect. And lets face it, those with little intellect will be quite happy with the normal process....
Rich =/= "higher than normal intellect".
PZ Myers

aitm

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 17, 2017, 09:20:48 PM
Rich =/= "higher than normal intellect".

Didn't say rich. But in general people of greater wealth do have a higher intellect than us lower caste.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: aitm on September 18, 2017, 10:42:51 AM
Didn't say rich. But in general people of greater wealth do have a higher intellect than us lower caste.
[citation required]
PZ Myers

aitm

Unbeliever

I think it's inevitable that gene "improvement" will be taken advantage of by whomever can afford it. If not in America, then there are plenty of other places in the world that don't play by our rules. This may well be one of those proverbial genies that's out of its bottle for good. With things like CRISPR Cas-9 and whatever else they'll be coming up with, genetic manipulation is getting easier, so that soon any Joe Blow will be able to make use of the genetic code to create wonders.

We've got way too much knowledge for the miniscule amount of wisdom we have.
God Not Found

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers