Genetically modified .... humans

Started by Coveny, September 15, 2017, 06:55:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: trdsf on September 17, 2017, 12:44:53 AM
A long, slow process of evolution brought our species to this point, and dinking with a code that's evolved to fit its environment should not be done lightly.
We shouldn't do anything that defies God's plan.

Baruch

But ... but ... technology is a god.  We are merely arbitrary genetic transcriptions, copywrited by Google.  Yes ... your modded DNA will be owned by a corporation, not by you.  Any idea that we are going toward a democratic free market is ... hashish.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

if I could be genetically modified overnight, i'd like to be more like Beast from x-men.

because being big, blue, furry and incredibly agile would be a step up from a typical boring human. #mutantlove.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on September 17, 2017, 07:52:55 AM
But ... but ... technology is a god.  We are merely arbitrary genetic transcriptions, copywrited by Google.  Yes ... your modded DNA will be owned by a corporation, not by you.  Any idea that we are going toward a democratic free market is ... hashish.
This is the beginning of a movie script.  Genetically engineered children end up with corporations retaining specific rights over the children.  As an interesting twist in the story line, let's say these specific rights have come to be called "Mineral Rights."  The children belong to the parents, but corporations own the Mineral Rights, and can help themselves to ownership of the children's achievements later in life.  Personal achievements such as wealth and power then become corporate property.  Power being the most useful, but rights to wealth perhaps more glamorous.   The wealth is divided up among upper management, while the power is reserved for the corporation to gain further influence over society.

I'm not sure where the story goes after this, but it's a beginning.

Gawdzilla Sama

I've taken the first steps toward being a cyborg. Useful.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 17, 2017, 10:11:54 AM
I've taken the first steps toward being a cyborg. Useful.

After two cataract surgeries, my eye lenses are artificial.  I am already a cyborg ... and a demi-god.  All you technology worshippers, bow down and worship my cyborgness.

People building a master race ... where have I heard that before?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

pr126

Baruch wrote:
QuoteAfter two cataract surgeries, my eye lenses are artificial.
I had the same surgery. Still need glasses though. :(

Baruch

Quote from: pr126 on September 17, 2017, 11:02:14 AM
Baruch wrote:I had the same surgery. Still need glasses though. :(

Yes, my vision was much improved the first 8 years, but aging continues.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Yeah, but I'm not going blind. I had an orange haze over everything. Now I'm just seeing double.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on September 17, 2017, 07:11:01 AM
We shouldn't do anything that defies God's plan.
Jesus H. Christ!  Somebody finally stated the obvious!!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mike Cl

Yeah, me too.  But at least the fog has lifted--the most startling effect was that the computer graphics looked so good I thought somebody had come in in the dead of night and installed a new graphics card in my computer. :)) And my prescription was much weaker.  Actually, the Dr. told me that with my eyesight, I was legal to drive.  I tried it--came back to the Dr. and told him that I'd much rather have glasses--thank you.  I do think eyesight is a little important when driving. :)
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

pr126

QuoteI do think eyesight is a little important when driving. :)
It doesn't seem to be any trouble for Mr. Magoo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8GTHXTEvIc

Mike Cl

Quote from: pr126 on September 17, 2017, 02:02:47 PM
It doesn't seem to be any trouble for Mr. Magoo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8GTHXTEvIc
It has been AGES since I thought of him! Jim Backus was great!

Mike Cl

It seems to me, in a general sense, genes are not and never have been, static.  They are constantly changing.  But the changes that take hold and are handed down in any great number take a long, long time--especially in human terms.  So, are we really arguing and agonizing over the speed of change rather than change itself?   

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 17, 2017, 02:14:16 PM
It seems to me, in a general sense, genes are not and never have been, static.   
Considering that we have 98% genes in common with chimpanzees, implying that they've been the same since the split, I can't agree with you.
PZ Myers