Genetically modified .... humans

Started by Coveny, September 15, 2017, 06:55:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 23, 2017, 08:49:46 AM
Oh yeah? Who won the last election?

The People, in the Several States, through the Electoral College, decided.  I didn't like the results.  Them's the rules.  But the people voted. 

Let's change that Electoral college.  And in a generation, you might want that old Electoral College...  Beware of making changes based on the results of today.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on September 23, 2017, 09:02:11 AM
The People, in the Several States, through the Electoral College, decided.  I didn't like the results.  Them's the rules.  But the people voted. 

Let's change that Electoral college.  And in a generation, you might want that old Electoral College...  Beware of making changes based on the results of today.
The Electoral college decided the election, not the people.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 23, 2017, 09:12:19 AM

OK, I've too far in support of an idea.  Mostly I support majority voting.  But I'm not ready to throw the Electoral College over board just yet.  Let's see what happens in the next election.  If it is Trump again, I'll say its time to change.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on September 23, 2017, 09:48:41 AM
OK, I've too far in support of an idea.  Mostly I support majority voting.  But I'm not ready to throw the Electoral College over board just yet.  Let's see what happens in the next election.  If it is Trump again, I'll say its time to change.
And it might be too late by then. I suspect the Grim Old Party will try to make elections moot in the future.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 23, 2017, 10:23:02 AM
And it might be too late by then. I suspect the Grim Old Party will try to make elections moot in the future.

You DO reflect my deepest fears sometimes...  But I suspect the Grim Old Party is splitting.  And split parties lose elections as voters come back to balance.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on September 23, 2017, 10:27:04 AM
You DO reflect my deepest fears sometimes...  But I suspect the Grim Old Party is splitting.  And split parties lose elections as voters come back to balance.
They will lose only if the FUD generation system fails them, no matter how badly they act before the elections.
PZ Myers

trdsf

Quote from: Sorginak on September 23, 2017, 08:17:50 AM
So long as the genetic modification is simply to remove life threatening diseases, I don't see a problem.

If, on the other hand, a parent wants to genetically modify a child to be straight instead of gay, then I will have a problem because homosexuality is not a life threatening disease no matter how much one's prejudice toward gay people makes them think it is.
Yeah, there the life threatening part comes from bigotry, not genetics.  Now, if there was a bigotry (and, for that matter, a fundamentalism) gene that could be edited out...
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 23, 2017, 09:02:11 AM

I have to agree.  Or we can just have a one party dictatorship, and just let The Party decide ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 23, 2017, 09:12:19 AM

The Supreme Court decided all future elections, in 2000 ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 23, 2017, 10:23:02 AM

Elections have been moot since the Constitutional Convention of 1787.  That was a coup.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 23, 2017, 10:27:04 AM

Your guarded optimism seems to be happening .. couldn't happen to a better bunch of bastards.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on September 23, 2017, 10:45:53 AM
Yeah, there the life threatening part comes from bigotry, not genetics.  Now, if there was a bigotry (and, for that matter, a fundamentalism) gene that could be edited out...

Don't ask, don't tell.  They will go for the gay gene first ... some people here will be deleted.  With SJW though, they will be retro and use whiteout.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Sorginak on September 23, 2017, 08:17:50 AM
So long as the genetic modification is simply to remove life threatening diseases, I don't see a problem.

If, on the other hand, a parent wants to genetically modify a child to be straight instead of gay, then I will have a problem because homosexuality is not a life threatening disease no matter how much one's prejudice toward gay people makes them think it is.

Politics is THE life threatening disease.  You will be a sterile female worker in the future, just like in Cloud Atlas.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 23, 2017, 08:40:40 AM
We are the People.  We control who is in power.  We may chose leaders for some reason or another, but we choose.

Delusion.  Edward Bernays.  You are Eloi ... or Morlock.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on September 23, 2017, 10:45:53 AM

Genetic health makes sense to me.  I see it like getting a vaccine only better.  Its the other possibilities that worry me.  I read a short story once where all the children on a newly-colonized planet looke exactly like the colony's pregnancy manager.

Oops...

Problems exist.