News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

I have returned from a decade-long absence!

Started by davoarid, September 14, 2017, 12:30:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davoarid

I used to post on this forum every day back when I was in college.....must have been 2004-2006-ish? I just stumbled back across this by random--my goodness, I still recognize some of the names! (Hillbilly Atheist, SVZurich....Buckster!)

Anyone know if the archives from way back a million years ago exist somewhere? I mostly want to try to remember what my old name was...or read over my old posts, to see how much I've changed!

But if not, eh, I'll cope. I still have fond memories.

Cavebear

Quote from: davoarid on September 14, 2017, 12:30:41 AM
I used to post on this forum every day back when I was in college.....must have been 2004-2006-ish? I just stumbled back across this by random--my goodness, I still recognize some of the names! (Hillbilly Atheist, SVZurich....Buckster!)

Anyone know if the archives from way back a million years ago exist somewhere? I mostly want to try to remember what my old name was...or read over my old posts, to see how much I've changed!

No idea about archives.  Ask the Admins.  Are you an atheist?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

pr126

Quote from: davoarid on September 14, 2017, 12:30:41 AM

Welcome back. The names you are mentioning are no longer here.

We had at least two major crashes, and could not restore the old AF as you knew it. Lost forever.
Very few members still here from a decade ago.
Reggie has left the forum to a new crew.

This is not the AF as you knew it. Sorry to disappoint.

If I remember, you are from the UK, West country?

davoarid

Quote from: pr126 on September 14, 2017, 01:46:26 AM
Welcome back. The names you are mentioning are no longer here.

We had at least two major crashes, and could not restore the old AF as you knew it. Lost forever.
Very few members still here from a decade ago.
Reggie has left the forum to a new crew.

This is not the AF as you knew it. Sorry to disappoint.

If I remember, you are from the UK, West country?
Bah--that sucks! I was from North Dakota, but now (like most people who grew up in North Dakota) live in Minneapolis.

Oh well. I'm sure seeing the crap 20-year-old me was writing would produce more cringe than is healthy. That's too bad that everyone I knew has left. Todangst was another one--guy taught me SO much stuff here. :)

To answer the previous poster: I don't believe in a personal God or anything, but I'm much much much less militant in my atheism now than I was in my heyday here.

pr126

You can find some of the old members at Rationalresponders forum.

Cavebear

Quote from: davoarid on September 14, 2017, 01:57:15 AM
Bah--that sucks! I was from North Dakota, but now (like most people who grew up in North Dakota) live in Minneapolis.

Oh well. I'm sure seeing the crap 20-year-old me was writing would produce more cringe than is healthy. That's too bad that everyone I knew has left. Todangst was another one--guy taught me SO much stuff here. :)

To answer the previous poster: I don't believe in a personal God or anything, but I'm much much much less militant in my atheism now than I was in my heyday here.

Too bad.  I understand though,  I was on an atheist site in the 90s (streaming chat).  It went away and I miss some old friends from there.  They are probably still around, maybe even here, but we don't recogonize each other's avatars, LOL!.

pr126

Quote from: Cavebear on September 14, 2017, 07:53:20 AM
Nothing worse than toad angst...  Just a mild joke.  LOL!
Todangst translated from German = fear of death.

Sent from my LG-H860 using Tapatalk

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on September 14, 2017, 08:21:32 AM
Todangst translated from German = fear of death.

Sent from my LG-H860 using Tapatalk

Do you think toads do not suffer angst?  OK, I'm not Baruch.  I actually mean something intelligible by what I say.  I clicked on your links.  Only one worked at the time.  And that one was something about Jesus and Mohammed being the same person?

So I sort of gave up on that.

A toad finding itself of a road feels angst.  It's going to likely die.  I will not be the toad.  I would at least hop FAST!

Mr.Obvious

Welcome back, prodigal son, to our little band of heathens.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Cavebear

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on September 14, 2017, 08:32:20 AM
Welcome back, prodigal son, to our little band of heathens.

Yeah yeah, hurray hurray.  Let's see a worthwhile post.

aitm

Welcome back. We are much quieter than we used to be. Some like it, some don't.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Blackleaf

It's kinda depressing trying to reconnect with people, only to find most of them left. At least this site still exists. The ones I frequented when I was a kid have mostly dissolved. Been here a grand total of two years. Welcome back.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Mike Cl

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 14, 2017, 09:53:29 AM
It's kinda depressing trying to reconnect with people, only to find most of them left. At least this site still exists. The ones I frequented when I was a kid have mostly dissolved. Been here a grand total of two years. Welcome back.
When you get to be my age that is the nature of the beast.  Some have moved on and others have died.  That will happen more and more for me, I think.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?