Any Rick and Morty fans around here?

Started by Hydra009, September 11, 2017, 09:46:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

I just finished watching the first two seasons on Hulu, which I originally got for the purpose of watching Game of Thrones before realizing that it required an additional charge for HBO shows. Yeah, I'm definitely going to cancel before my one month free trial is over, but at least I got to watch this before discovering I could watch most of it for free at the Adult Swim website. Anyway, enough about how Hulu sucks balls, because Rick and Morty definitely doesn't suck balls. I absolutely love the show's blend of comedy, weirdness, and drama. I like how even though most episodes are self-contained, they continue to build the world around them and make subtle references to previous episodes. Every episode does something different, even spending virtually an entire episode watching the characters watch interdimensional TV, which sounds stupid on paper yet works somehow. Absolutely brilliant.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Shiranu

I wonder how many R&M fans realise that Saint Harmon & even Roilland are "Raging SJW Cucks", and have been for several projects now...

https://www.inverse.com/article/36696-rick-and-morty-season-3-female-writers-harassment-dan-harmon
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Blackleaf

Quote from: Shiranu on September 24, 2017, 10:33:17 PM
I wonder how many R&M fans realise that Saint Harmon & even Roilland are "Raging SJW Cucks", and have been for several projects now...

https://www.inverse.com/article/36696-rick-and-morty-season-3-female-writers-harassment-dan-harmon

I am aware. My sister also informed me that one of the important creative minds of the show was a devout Christian. Both facts seem a bit contradictory to the material they're responsible for creating...
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 24, 2017, 09:58:55 PMRick and Morty definitely doesn't suck balls
You keep me peeling scrap squamps and slipping nib-nibs, and I'll suck whatever aint nailed down.  :P

QuoteI like how even though most episodes are self-contained, they continue to build the world around them and make subtle references to previous episodes.
Almost every episode has little details that are homages to classic scifi movies, Gravity Falls references, or fan theory goodness (like the helmet Rick occasionally fiddles with in the garage)

QuoteEvery episode does something different, even spending virtually an entire episode watching the characters watch interdimensional TV, which sounds stupid on paper yet works somehow. Absolutely brilliant.
I could watch interdimensional TV all day long and never tire of it.

My personal favorite is Fake Doors.  It would be great if the exterior of the store was a bunch of doors and only one actually works.  You walk in and do a little browsing...and suddenly, there's a fire.  Which door was the entrance?  Do you even remember?

Shiranu

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 24, 2017, 10:36:13 PM
I am aware. My sister also informed me that one of the important creative minds of the show was a devout Christian. Both facts seem a bit contradictory to the material they're responsible for creating...

How so? Christians are allowed to have a sense of humour, and people who think women deserve to be treated like humans can poke fun of themselves as well.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on September 23, 2017, 04:12:30 AMRick is an idol the way Freddy Krueger is a good dream.  Morty lives in a world of completely insane people.
Arguably, Jerry is now the only one in the family who doesn't have psychotic urges or some other severe mental dysfunction.  He's a bit sad and pathetic and mistake-prone, but his idea of a good time is ovenless brownies, which is nothing compared to what Rick, Morty, and Summer are into.  And despite being normally calm and rational, Beth's shown some troubling behavior from time to time, too.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Shiranu on September 24, 2017, 10:58:12 PM
How so? Christians are allowed to have a sense of humour, and people who think women deserve to be treated like humans can poke fun of themselves as well.

The show has dark and nihilistic undertones, bringing into question the value of life itself. And then there's also this:

--Fulke Greville--

Shiranu

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 24, 2017, 11:34:01 PM
The show has dark and nihilistic undertones, bringing into question the value of life itself. And then there's also this:

Again, nothing in the Bible says Christians cant have a sense of humour. I joke about some fucked up shit, doesn't mean I support that fucked up shit.

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on September 24, 2017, 10:33:17 PM

Everything is politics with you?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Jason78

Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Blackleaf

One thing I like about Rick and Morty is that it addresses one of the questions I've had about string theory for years. If there's a universe for every universe, no matter how improbable, what are the limits of that improbability? Is there a universe where every time someone walks outside, they get struck by lightning, and so humanity was forced to build underground roads and cities to avoid the wrath of the sky? Is there a universe where people compete to see how many bowling balls they could fit in one plastic bag before it rips, where the world record is 237? Is anything really impossible, or does each bowling ball in the bag just reduce the chances of the bag remaining in one piece to a smaller and smaller number, approaching but never touching zero? In Rick and Morty, you have a world where people evolved from corn, a universe where telepathic spiders are one of the dominant species on earth, and all kinds of crazy weird stuff. It appears in the show that when there are an infinite number of universes, nothing is impossible.
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 26, 2017, 11:03:20 AM
One thing I like about Rick and Morty is that it addresses one of the questions I've had about string theory for years. If there's a universe for every universe, no matter how improbable, what are the limits of that improbability? Is there a universe where every time someone walks outside, they get struck by lightning, and so humanity was forced to build underground roads and cities to avoid the wrath of the sky? Is there a universe where people compete to see how many bowling balls they could fit in one plastic bag before it rips, where the world record is 237? Is anything really impossible, or does each bowling ball in the bag just reduce the chances of the bag remaining in one piece to a smaller and smaller number, approaching but never touching zero? In Rick and Morty, you have a world where people evolved from corn, a universe where telepathic spiders are one of the dominant species on earth, and all kinds of crazy weird stuff. It appears in the show that when there are an infinite number of universes, nothing is impossible.

This is why string theory hasn't developed more.  The telepathic spiders don't want it to, and the conspiracy squirrels kill anyone who fails to get the message.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 26, 2017, 11:03:20 AM
I've wondered the same thing. It seems to me that in an infinite multiverse even the laws of logic may be different in some universes. If that's the case then Katie bar the door! But just how robust are the laws of logic? Can there really be a universe where, for example, the law of non-contradiction doesn't hold? Is there really a universe where supernatural magic is the normal state of affairs?

It may be that the multiverse is able to generate, somewhere within itself, literally everything that can be conceived, and maybe things that can't even be conceived. What a cluster-fuck of an existence that would be! All those fictional characters we've read about in books might not really be fiction after all, but real people - out there somewhere.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 26, 2017, 01:35:42 PM
I've wondered the same thing. It seems to me that in an infinite multiverse even the laws of logic may be different in some universes. If that's the case then Katie bar the door! But just how robust are the laws of logic? Can there really be a universe where, for example, the law of non-contradiction doesn't hold? Is there really a universe where supernatural magic is the normal state of affairs?

It may be that the multiverse is able to generate, somewhere within itself, literally everything that can be conceived, and maybe things that can't even be conceived. What a cluster-fuck of an existence that would be! All those fictional characters we've read about in books might not really be fiction after all, but real people - out there somewhere.

There are posters here who deny the present reality of para-consistent logic.  You don't have to go to another universe.  BTW - reality in general, and consciousness in particular ... can't be conceived, at least by ape men.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Well, none of us perceives reality in its fullness. We see what our evolution has prepared us to see, and nothing more. Science allows us to see a bit more, but we probably won't ever see reality the way it really  is.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman