Any Rick and Morty fans around here?

Started by Hydra009, September 11, 2017, 09:46:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 13, 2017, 07:49:25 PM
They must be from the Doofus Rick dimension.  :P
Hmm.  Possibly.  He's not a emotional wreck like he was in season 2, but I guarantee you some sort of emotional breakdown is definitely going to happen to Rick this season.
Yeah, I would've liked them to stick around, too.  In fact, that's what I was expecting.  What I didn't expect was [spoiler]Rick becomes so jealous of Morty admiring someone else that he set up an elaborate trap to impugn their character and inadvertently got most of them killed.  It's not clear exactly how culpable he was, but imho, a couple charges of involuntary and/or intoxication manslaughter would be warranted at the very least. [/spoiler]

[spoiler]I want the "evil morty = Our rick's Original Morty" theory to be true so bad. I want evil Morty to be thwarted by Rick and Morty by the end of the season. I want a defeated, bitter evil Morty to reveal who he is and, ideally, to have his body dying but his mind being backed up somewhere to a clone body or something. At which point Rick, or Morty, might realize this 'escape' as it's going on and thwart it, and stop it, while the slowly dying Morty is left to realize just what is happening and unable to do anything about it. This could work in two ways. If it's Rick that 'euthanizes' evil Morty, it could show a great breakdown in Rick s he has to destroy his true grandson to make sure his 'adopted' grandson will be safe and to stop the monster he's created by proxy, himself. If it's our Morty that has to kill evil Morty in such a way, it could be the ultimate stepping stone to him becoming an evil Morty himself and could even create  a rift between Rick and Morty not just from Morty's side like we've seen before, but from Rick's side.
One last far-out idea, but one that would be fucking amazing, is if Evil Morty winds up actually killing our Morty and takes his place, or better yet, has Rick kill our Morty thinking it's evil Morty and then taking our Morty's place. I don't see it happening and I'd concider it a balsy move, even for R&M. But it would definitely set the show apart from other cartoons. Even more so than now already.
I also didn't see Rick as genuinely jealous of the Vindicators. I think we're not supposed to read more in the drunken stupor than just that. He created it for NoobNoob, who'm he afterward promptly forgot. He was annoyed and dissapointed, maybe, in Morty's clinging to the Vindicators as heroes. But he didn't build the traps because he was jealous. But hey, that's just my read. :D[/spoiler]
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Cavebear

A Rick breakdown?  What a shock.  He does that every few episodes.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on September 14, 2017, 04:18:44 AM
A Rick breakdown?  What a shock.  He does that every few episodes.
We've only really had two so far: when he tries to commit suicide and when he goes to jail.

He's been close to a breakdown a couple more times (alien parasites, the extremely stressful adventure that prompted a break from adventures) but he didn't completely blue-screen in those situations.

Rick has shown remarkable mental resilience considering all he's been through.  He's been through a lot of extremely difficult situations and not a whole lot phases him.  Usually, other characters have a breakdown before he does.

So while I'm not exactly going out on a limb, it's still a fairly infrequent thing.

Hydra009

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on September 14, 2017, 04:12:15 AM
[spoiler]I want the "evil morty = Our rick's Original Morty" theory to be true so bad. [/spoiler]
[spoiler]Me, too.  Evil Morty was definitely Rick Prime's original Morty.

I doubt Evil Morty will displace c-137 Morty but I do think Evil Morty is planning some sort of Morty uprising against Rick in all dimensions.  c-137 Morty might get swept up in it and he'll have a make a very difficult choice.[/spoiler]

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 14, 2017, 10:56:58 AM
We've only really had two so far: when he tries to commit suicide and when he goes to jail.

He's been close to a breakdown a couple more times (alien parasites, the extremely stressful adventure that prompted a break from adventures) but he didn't completely blue-screen in those situations.

Rick has shown remarkable mental resilience, considering all he's been through.  He's been in a lot of extremely difficult situations and not a whole lot phases him.  Usually, other characters breakdown before he does.

So while I'm not exactly going out on a limb, it's still a fairly infrequent thing.

I am AMAZED!  I didn't actually think that Rick was psychoanayzable until now.  Just sort of a cross between an Angry Beaver and The Robot Chicken...

But you have me hooked...

Rick is the evil stepfather to Morty's Alice.  Rick drags Morty down the Rabbit hole every episode.  Rick is the insane Freddy Kruger of Morty's dreams.  He is the, well, you get it.

Rick is completely nuts, omnipotent, crazy as a loon, utterly rational in an idiotic universe, and as self-centered as only a deity could be.  He is both every fear and hope the child Morty could ever have (though pubescence does peek through at times.

Rick is the Id, Ego, and Superego minus the coordition of the brain hemispheres.

All at the same time...

Hydra009

:confused:  Did I really say anything all amazing?

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 14, 2017, 11:20:36 AM
:confused:  Did I really say anything all amazing?

One never knows what one starts, do one?

I love Rick and Morty (could do without the drool though)...

But you got me thinking, and isn't that what threads and comments are for? 

Hydra009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjDnuc0y1Gc

The part about this video that really cooked my noodle was this idea that these escapes from our soul-crushing corporate world (hiking, camping, going to the beach, etc) actually reinforce the system.

If modern life was brutal all the time, I'd hate it and do everything I could to try to find a way out.
But if I were allowed an occasional respite, I'd be more likely to grin and bear it.

In another thread, I talked before how I love nearby parks - being able to get away and temporarily immerse myself in the nature world.  But one side of the park was clear-cut to make room for new apartments.  This really bothered me because it utterly destroyed the illusion.  Instead of showcasing natural beauty, it showcased trash and industry.  I was forced to find another natural space to maintain my illusion of being in nature.

Now, is all this some nefarious ploy to ensure docile citizens?  Doubtful.  More likely, governments quickly discovered that preserving some natural spaces makes people happier and brings in a trickle of tourist dollars.  It's a win-win.

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on September 14, 2017, 11:23:54 AM
One never knows what one starts, do one?

I love Rick and Morty (could do without the drool though)...

But you got me thinking, and isn't that what threads and comments are for?
I thought you were sarcastically praising my insight and intentionally taking my attempts at analysis too far in order to mock me.  *sad Jerry face*

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 14, 2017, 11:43:19 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjDnuc0y1Gc

The part about this video that really cooked my noodle was this idea that these escapes from our soul-crushing corporate world (hiking, camping, going to the beach, etc) actually reinforce the system.

If modern life was brutal all the time, I'd hate it and do everything I could to try to find a way out.
But if I were allowed an occasional respite, I'd be more likely to grin and bear it.

In another thread, I talked before how I love nearby parks - being able to get away and temporarily immerse myself in the nature world.  But one side of the park was clear-cut to make room for new apartments.  This really bothered me because it utterly destroyed the illusion.  Instead of showcasing natural beauty, it showcased trash and industry.  I was forced to find another natural space to maintain my illusion of being in nature.

Now, is all this some nefarious ploy to ensure docile citizens?  Doubtful.  More likely, governments quickly discovered that preserving some natural spaces makes people happier and brings in a trickle of tourist dollars.  It's a win-win.

OH CRAP!  I had to stop watching the video (since it showed no signs of ending).  But congrats, they have finally actually weirded ME out and my specialty reading is off-the-wall sci fi.  And I thought Nathan Brazil in Well World was far enough with all the different cultures...

I can't wait to watch more Rick and Morty...

Thank you!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 14, 2017, 11:11:38 AM
I am AMAZED!  I didn't actually think that Rick was psychoanayzable until now.  Just sort of a cross between an Angry Beaver and The Robot Chicken...

But you have me hooked...

Rick is the evil stepfather to Morty's Alice.  Rick drags Morty down the Rabbit hole every episode.  Rick is the insane Freddy Kruger of Morty's dreams.  He is the, well, you get it.

Rick is completely nuts, omnipotent, crazy as a loon, utterly rational in an idiotic universe, and as self-centered as only a deity could be.  He is both every fear and hope the child Morty could ever have (though pubescence does peek through at times.

Rick is the Id, Ego, and Superego minus the coordition of the brain hemispheres.

All at the same time...

Rick is my hero ... my new love.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 14, 2017, 08:41:40 PM
Rick is my hero ... my new love.

If Rick is your "new" love, than you don't actually know anything about him, do you?

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 19, 2017, 03:53:03 AM
If Rick is your "new" love, than you don't actually know anything about him, do you?

I was implying that he is more attractive as an idol ... than you are (my prior love per Diedre).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

The latest episode, Morty's Mind-Blowers, was a pretty average episode.  More of a mixed bag of clips than an actual show.

But after analyzing it a bit, it really kinda rubs me the wrong way.  This whole idea of memory-tampering seems like an especially horrible thing for Rick to be doing to Morty, plus Rick hasn't previously seemed to mind subjecting Morty to a bunch of extremely bad memories (that was even a plot point in Total Rickall), and if Rick is trying to groom Morty as his successor, then memory-tampering just damages his ability to learn from his adventures.

But man, this episode must be a delight for fanfic writers.  You can come up with any story - no matter how outlandish - and it works because the characters had their memories erased afterwards.

This was my favorite part:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1zBtJhgwBI

I once poured a perfectly level glass of milk, exactly to the rim with not a single drop going over the side.  It felt like heaven.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 19, 2017, 10:39:37 PM
I was implying that he is more attractive as an idol ... than you are (my prior love per Diedre).

Rick is an idol the way Freddy Krueger is a good dream.  Morty lives in a world of completely insane people.