Any Rick and Morty fans around here?

Started by Hydra009, September 11, 2017, 09:46:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

Apparently, Mr. Poopybutthole's name is a reference to a proto-Rick from an earlier cartoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcMFHRXp8xM
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Cavebear

Quote from: Blackleaf on October 04, 2017, 03:55:00 PM
I don't think Rick has ever messed with time travel. When you have infinite universes, there isn't much point to time travel. You can just travel to a dimension that's exactly the same except in the ways that matter to you. You could even find an alternate timeline where your other self is already dead and you can take their place without anyone noticing. When it comes to Beth, I agree with the video. I don't think Beth is a clone. Then again, the writers have been known to fuck with their audience, like that time when...

[spoiler=Spoiler for season 2]Mr. Poopybutthole turned out to be real despite all signs pointing to him being a parasite.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Spoiler for season 3]Or when season three started with Rick saying, "And that's how I escaped from space prison. Oo, scary place!"[/spoiler]

I think Rick does have a basic prime universe with Morty Prime.  And possibly Beth Prime.  Or Beth clone.  Summer might be able to know.  Summer might be the only real surviving character of Prime. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Sal1981

Rick and Morty S03E10 - The Rickchurian Mortydate
[spoiler]A little stab at the nihilism when at the end of the episode Rick points out that "That 'nothing matters' does matter" angle. Something that's also explored in the very first cartoon of http://existentialcomics.com/comic/1

So, a whole year waiting for season 4?[/spoiler]

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on October 04, 2017, 03:55:00 PMI don't think Rick has ever messed with time travel. When you have infinite universes, there isn't much point to time travel. You can just travel to a dimension that's exactly the same except in the ways that matter to you.
Yep.  Plus, time is policed by those weird meatball-shaped time cops.  And there are potential paradoxes and unintended outcomes.

Imo, it's not that Rick isn't able to time travel, it's that he chooses not to because it's more trouble than it's worth and more dangerous than dimensional travel.

Baruch

Rick Morty S03E10 - awesome!  Obama finally is shown as he really is.  Only sci-fi sarcasm animation can tell it like it really is!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 07, 2017, 03:30:23 PM
Rick Morty S03E10 - awesome!  Obama finally is shown as he really is.  Only sci-fi sarcasm animation can tell it like it really is!

You are one of a kind.  Thankfully.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 08, 2017, 03:38:03 AM
You are one of a kind.  Thankfully.

I am copywrited and trademarked ... so don't copy me ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Baruch on October 07, 2017, 03:30:23 PMRick Morty S03E10 - awesome!  Obama finally is shown as he really is.  Only sci-fi sarcasm animation can tell it like it really is!
His appearance is modeled after Obama, but his personality is very different.  Hell, his personality is pretty different from his earlier appearance in Get Schwifty.

My theory is that this dimension, the USA is a much stronger superpower whose military adventurism has a much better track record.  There might never have been a Vietnam war or it ended very differently.  Hence the ability to run roughshod over Brazil's sovereign territory.  (Come to think of it, there isn't any character in R&M who's a hippy, is there?  There's Scary Mr Johnson, but he exists only in a dream)  Adapted Ricktech or alien tech from when the Federation left Earth might explain their advanced technology.

Hydra009

And before I forget, McDonald's did a szechuan sauce promotion yesterday.  But only some locations had the sauce, and they typically didn't get much (mine only got 18 sauce packets, which is typical).  I didn't get any.  Few people did.

Looking back on this bizarre want-it-need-it spell, I dunno if I'm super down with a commercial tie-in like this - I think it'd be better if they kept it generic than shilling individual brands.  But I'll overlook it because it was such a great punchline.  The idea that Rick went through hell and back all for that sauce is so damn absurd and funny that it's hard to be mad at it.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 08, 2017, 04:30:48 PM
And before I forget, McDonald's did a szechuan sauce promotion yesterday.  But only some locations had the sauce, and they typically didn't get much (mine only got 18 sauce packets, which is typical).  I didn't get any.  Few people did.

Looking back on this bizarre want-it-need-it spell, I dunno if I'm super down with a commercial tie-in like this - I think it'd be better if they kept it generic than shilling individual brands.  But I'll overlook it because it was such a great punchline.  The idea that Rick went through hell and back all for that sauce is so damn absurd and funny that it's hard to be mad it at.

Well, McDonald's is more of a cultural icon than a shill.  There is air, water, and McDonald's, LOL!

And no, I haven't eaten there in years...

Baruch

Sounds like you need some of that Szechuan Sauce!

Here is an explanation, that makes sense to me, as to why I like this show ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPJy0fGoaGc

I am definitely a Rick, maybe not the Rickest Rick however.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Baruch on October 09, 2017, 05:53:11 PMI am definitely a Rick, maybe not the Rickest Rick however.
Good, because the Rickest Rick is pretty screwed up.  The Citadel-dwelling Ricks vary quite a bit: the Council and secret Council are pretty arrogant and sociopathic while Ricks low on the totem pole are a lot friendlier and trustworthy.  I'd have a drink or two with most of the guard Ricks, cop Ricks, and working stiff Ricks.

Everyone likes Rick and want to be like Rick, but imo what people really like about him are his devil-may-care attitude, near-omnipotence, and his freedom from responsibilities.  He can escape harsh realities in ways that most people can't.  But they don't really want to be like Rick - passed out on his workbench with a pile of ashes in front of him.

Plus, I dunno if many people could really handle the whole multiverse experience.

Just imagine landing on an Earth where slavery is still legal.  You'd want to do something about it, right?  Well, your well-intentioned actions will almost certainly have unintended negative consequences, like touching off WWIII.  As a nuke rockets to your city, you wisely flee to another dimension.  The next time you see something horrific, you look the other way and don't think about it.  You do a lot of not thinking about things.  It makes you callous and unempathetic.  Your values start to crumble over time and you eventually end up...well, a lot like Rick.

Shiranu

QuoteEveryone likes Rick and want to be like Rick...

I cant imagine anything worse than being like Rick.

Besides being like Jerry, because fuck Jerry.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on October 09, 2017, 07:47:58 PMBesides being like Jerry, because fuck Jerry.
Jerry's pretty cowardly, lacks agency, imperceptive ("human music, I like it") and has poor judgement (R2D2 coins)

But he at least means well and genuinely cares for his family.  That's better than Rick most days.  So take your attitude to the men's section of Kmart and cut him some slack.......s. :P

I have a theory.  When Rick's out of the picture, Jerry flourishes.

Confirming evidence:
* He adjusted amazingly well during alien occupation and kept the family safe and sound while other people apparently lived in the sewers.
* He was a movie star in an alternate dimension.
* During the Rick potion apocalypse, he became an action hero.  Later, he became feral along with the rest of the family, but he was decisive and authoritative.  He did surprisingly well for himself considering the circumstances.

Disconfirming evidence:
* Jerry's depressing bachelor existence (Keevara was an impressive catch for him, but he poorly managed the relationship)
* Meeseeks fiasco
* Hungry For Apples (the best day of his life was when no one stomped on his dreams)
* Jerry Jamboree (though arguably, it's Rick's fault that place is so crappy)

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on October 09, 2017, 07:47:58 PM
I cant imagine anything worse than being like Rick.

Besides being like Jerry, because fuck Jerry.

Somebody has to be a Morty.  You would be one of the tortured Morties on the Dome of Morties ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.