Any Rick and Morty fans around here?

Started by Hydra009, September 11, 2017, 09:46:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 26, 2017, 11:03:20 AM
One thing I like about Rick and Morty is that it addresses one of the questions I've had about string theory for years. If there's a universe for every universe, no matter how improbable, what are the limits of that improbability? Is there a universe where every time someone walks outside, they get struck by lightning, and so humanity was forced to build underground roads and cities to avoid the wrath of the sky?
I got the impression that the universes in the central finite curve (whatever that is) have Earths that are very similar to our own with very similar Ricks and Mortys, but the further away from that you get, the more alien our Earth and its denizens become.

But alien worlds are almost always more different from our Earth than most alternate Earths.  So my headcanon is that the planets that are most different from Earth (strange plants/animals like megafruit, bizarre physical properties like a screaming sun) are almost always non-Earth planets.

And yes, theoretically there could be an alternate Earth with extreme lightning activity.  Or telepathic spiders.  But those are outliers - most Earths are more like our Earth than not like our Earth.  At least on a physical/biological level.  Culturally, there's more variation.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 26, 2017, 07:27:36 PM
Well, none of us perceives reality in its fullness. We see what our evolution has prepared us to see, and nothing more. Science allows us to see a bit more, but we probably won't ever see reality the way it really  is.

Reality as conceived by ape men?  Don't over think it.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 27, 2017, 12:09:09 AM
Reality as conceived by ape men?  Don't over think it.

Technically speaking, there were never "ape men" but there were "manlike apes".  There is a difference.

But that has nothing to with R&M.  That show is wonderfully insane.  Though I do personally wish Rick would drool less.

None of the characters are the slightest bit sane.  Not even Morty.  If anything, his crazy family has driven HIM totally nuts. 

I remember when the standard character arrangement of any show, (animated or sitcom) was that one character was always the "sensible one".  I think that ended with "Married With Children.  They were ALL nuts.  And that was SO freeing... 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Sal1981

Quote from: Cavebear on September 28, 2017, 02:24:19 AM
Technically speaking, there were never "ape men" but there were "manlike apes".  There is a difference.

But that has nothing to with R&M.  That show is wonderfully insane.  Though I do personally wish Rick would drool less.

None of the characters are the slightest bit sane.  Not even Morty.  If anything, his crazy family has driven HIM totally nuts. 

I remember when the standard character arrangement of any show, (animated or sitcom) was that one character was always the "sensible one".  I think that ended with "Married With Children.  They were ALL nuts.  And that was SO freeing... 
Al Bundy often had little tid-bits of philosophical truths scattered about in the show, I watched it a lot, back in the day.

Cavebear

Quote from: Sal1981 on September 28, 2017, 06:10:05 AM
Al Bundy often had little tid-bits of philosophical truths scattered about in the show, I watched it a lot, back in the day.
Each of the M-W-C characters were occasionally allowed some words of wisdom.  But none were exactly role models. 

I remember my favorite scene there.  Kelly was famed for her basic stupidity.  But once when she had some friends over and a problem arose, they all said "Let's ask Kelly, she's the smart one"! 

I laughed so hard I almost gagged.  But it was a good reminder that almost anyone can have dumber friends...

I love you all, my friends...

Blackleaf

Quote from: Cavebear on September 28, 2017, 06:27:46 AMBut it was a good reminder that almost anyone can have dumber friends...

I love you all, my friends...

"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

ABCs of Beth

[spoiler]My theory: Beth has been temporarily replaced with an android - she's gone off to find out who she is apart from her family/obligations.  Rick is now the sole guardian of the grandkids.  And he has plans...[/spoiler]

Blackleaf

Co-creator of Rick and Morty, Dan Harmon, guest starred on a Film Theory episode today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY8-TUD3_Zo
--Fulke Greville--

Cavebear

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 29, 2017, 04:05:31 PM
Co-creator of Rick and Morty, Dan Harmon, guest starred on a Film Theory episode today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY8-TUD3_Zo

I saw the episode where Rick explains Beth's life to her.  Apparently she was a crazy version of Morty.  But they really did a number on us.

Rick explains that he could send Beth to the world she really wants and create a perfect clone of her to stay behind, all memories, etc...  Totally up to her.  And at the end, there is "a" Beth and we don't know which decision she made, do we?

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 01, 2017, 07:08:12 AM
I saw the episode where Rick explains Beth's life to her.  Apparently she was a crazy version of Morty.  But they really did a number on us.

Rick explains that he could send Beth to the world she really wants and create a perfect clone of her to stay behind, all memories, etc...  Totally up to her.  And at the end, there is "a" Beth and we don't know which decision she made, do we?

Sexist?  As if men aren't crazy ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBhhlE92mIQ

EDIT: Pretty much as soon as I posted that, I found the video where he revisited the elusive szechuan sauce, this time with an actual sample and original McDonald's ingredients list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhc_bXGvmp0
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on October 01, 2017, 07:08:12 AMRick explains that he could send Beth to the world she really wants and create a perfect clone of her to stay behind, all memories, etc...  Totally up to her.  And at the end, there is "a" Beth and we don't know which decision she made, do we?
It's left ambiguous, so we have no idea.  It could be her, it could not be her.  Hell, she could've taken off with Rick and Rick made a double of himself for all we know.

The last thing she did before making the decision was look at family photos on the fridge while sappy music played.  It's possible she prioritized family and stayed.  But that sappy music could've just been misdirection.

Given Beth's abandonment issues, it'd be hypocritical for her to bail.  But she idolizes Rick and came to the realization that she's a lot like him.  But maybe she realized that she differs from him in one important way - she squanches her family and sticks by them through and through.  She doesn't leave when it's convenient, like he did.

Hydra009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK7lICvUhCI

Turns out that Beth is (probably) the real deal.  Looking back, that episode had more of a preoccupation with time than the Doctor Strange movie.  It's almost like they were hints.

TL;DW: there wasn't enough time to clone Beth, so Beth is real.  Well, as real as one of infinite daughters can be.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 02, 2017, 11:48:02 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK7lICvUhCI

Turns out that Beth is (probably) the real deal.  Looking back, that episode had more of a preoccupation with time than the Doctor Strange movie.  It's almost like they were hints.

TL;DW: there wasn't enough time to clone Beth, so Beth is real.  Well, as real as one of infinite daughters can be.

Rick plays with time.  He could have come back at any time and cloned her.  Or not.  And repeatedly does and doesn't.  We can't know.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Cavebear on October 04, 2017, 03:39:42 AM
Rick plays with time.  He could have come back at any time and cloned her.  Or not.  And repeatedly does and doesn't.  We can't know.

I don't think Rick has ever messed with time travel. When you have infinite universes, there isn't much point to time travel. You can just travel to a dimension that's exactly the same except in the ways that matter to you. You could even find an alternate timeline where your other self is already dead and you can take their place without anyone noticing. When it comes to Beth, I agree with the video. I don't think Beth is a clone. Then again, the writers have been known to fuck with their audience, like that time when...

[spoiler=Spoiler for season 2]Mr. Poopybutthole turned out to be real despite all signs pointing to him being a parasite.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Spoiler for season 3]Or when season three started with Rick saying, "And that's how I escaped from space prison. Oo, scary place!"[/spoiler]
--Fulke Greville--