Author Topic: Any Rick and Morty fans around here?  (Read 1322 times)

Online Mr.Obvious

Re: Any Rick and Morty fans around here?
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2017, 04:12:15 AM »
They must be from the Doofus Rick dimension.  :P
Hmm.  Possibly.  He's not a emotional wreck like he was in season 2, but I guarantee you some sort of emotional breakdown is definitely going to happen to Rick this season.
Yeah, I would've liked them to stick around, too.  In fact, that's what I was expecting.  What I didn't expect was
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

E = Mc²

In the end, we are all standing in the dark,
trying to figure out why we are here.
But let us not choose one direction
without proof of where it is headed.

Check your pocket for matches
so we can observe and learn together
as fast friends and relative idiots.

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2017, 04:18:44 AM »
A Rick breakdown?  What a shock.  He does that every few episodes.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!  b 1950

Online Hydra009 (OP)

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2017, 10:56:58 AM »
A Rick breakdown?  What a shock.  He does that every few episodes.
We've only really had two so far: when he tries to commit suicide and when he goes to jail.

He's been close to a breakdown a couple more times (alien parasites, the extremely stressful adventure that prompted a break from adventures) but he didn't completely blue-screen in those situations.

Rick has shown remarkable mental resilience considering all he's been through.  He's been through a lot of extremely difficult situations and not a whole lot phases him.  Usually, other characters have a breakdown before he does.

So while I'm not exactly going out on a limb, it's still a fairly infrequent thing.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 11:07:55 AM by Hydra009 »

Online Hydra009 (OP)

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2017, 11:06:48 AM »

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2017, 11:11:38 AM »
We've only really had two so far: when he tries to commit suicide and when he goes to jail.

He's been close to a breakdown a couple more times (alien parasites, the extremely stressful adventure that prompted a break from adventures) but he didn't completely blue-screen in those situations.

Rick has shown remarkable mental resilience, considering all he's been through.  He's been in a lot of extremely difficult situations and not a whole lot phases him.  Usually, other characters breakdown before he does.

So while I'm not exactly going out on a limb, it's still a fairly infrequent thing.

I am AMAZED!  I didn't actually think that Rick was psychoanayzable until now.  Just sort of a cross between an Angry Beaver and The Robot Chicken...

But you have me hooked...

Rick is the evil stepfather to Morty's Alice.  Rick drags Morty down the Rabbit hole every episode.  Rick is the insane Freddy Kruger of Morty's dreams.  He is the, well, you get it.

Rick is completely nuts, omnipotent, crazy as a loon, utterly rational in an idiotic universe, and as self-centered as only a deity could be.  He is both every fear and hope the child Morty could ever have (though pubescence does peek through at times.

Rick is the Id, Ego, and Superego minus the coordition of the brain hemispheres.

All at the same time...

Online Hydra009 (OP)

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2017, 11:20:36 AM »
 :confused:  Did I really say anything all amazing?

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2017, 11:23:54 AM »
:confused:  Did I really say anything all amazing?

One never knows what one starts, do one?

I love Rick and Morty (could do without the drool though)...

But you got me thinking, and isn't that what threads and comments are for? 

Online Hydra009 (OP)

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2017, 11:43:19 AM »

The part about this video that really cooked my noodle was this idea that these escapes from our soul-crushing corporate world (hiking, camping, going to the beach, etc) actually reinforce the system.

If modern life was brutal all the time, I'd hate it and do everything I could to try to find a way out.
But if I were allowed an occasional respite, I'd be more likely to grin and bear it.

In another thread, I talked before how I love nearby parks - being able to get away and temporarily immerse myself in the nature world.  But one side of the park was clear-cut to make room for new apartments.  This really bothered me because it utterly destroyed the illusion.  Instead of showcasing natural beauty, it showcased trash and industry.  I was forced to find another natural space to maintain my illusion of being in nature.

Now, is all this some nefarious ploy to ensure docile citizens?  Doubtful.  More likely, governments quickly discovered that preserving some natural spaces makes people happier and brings in a trickle of tourist dollars.  It's a win-win.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 11:47:07 AM by Hydra009 »

Online Hydra009 (OP)

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2017, 11:45:56 AM »
One never knows what one starts, do one?

I love Rick and Morty (could do without the drool though)...

But you got me thinking, and isn't that what threads and comments are for?
I thought you were sarcastically praising my insight and intentionally taking my attempts at analysis too far in order to mock me.  *sad Jerry face*

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2017, 11:56:03 AM »

The part about this video that really cooked my noodle was this idea that these escapes from our soul-crushing corporate world (hiking, camping, going to the beach, etc) actually reinforce the system.

If modern life was brutal all the time, I'd hate it and do everything I could to try to find a way out.
But if I were allowed an occasional respite, I'd be more likely to grin and bear it.

In another thread, I talked before how I love nearby parks - being able to get away and temporarily immerse myself in the nature world.  But one side of the park was clear-cut to make room for new apartments.  This really bothered me because it utterly destroyed the illusion.  Instead of showcasing natural beauty, it showcased trash and industry.  I was forced to find another natural space to maintain my illusion of being in nature.

Now, is all this some nefarious ploy to ensure docile citizens?  Doubtful.  More likely, governments quickly discovered that preserving some natural spaces makes people happier and brings in a trickle of tourist dollars.  It's a win-win.

OH CRAP!  I had to stop watching the video (since it showed no signs of ending).  But congrats, they have finally actually weirded ME out and my specialty reading is off-the-wall sci fi.  And I thought Nathan Brazil in Well World was far enough with all the different cultures...

I can't wait to watch more Rick and Morty...

Thank you!

Offline Baruch

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2017, 08:41:40 PM »
I am AMAZED!  I didn't actually think that Rick was psychoanayzable until now.  Just sort of a cross between an Angry Beaver and The Robot Chicken...

But you have me hooked...

Rick is the evil stepfather to Morty's Alice.  Rick drags Morty down the Rabbit hole every episode.  Rick is the insane Freddy Kruger of Morty's dreams.  He is the, well, you get it.

Rick is completely nuts, omnipotent, crazy as a loon, utterly rational in an idiotic universe, and as self-centered as only a deity could be.  He is both every fear and hope the child Morty could ever have (though pubescence does peek through at times.

Rick is the Id, Ego, and Superego minus the coordition of the brain hemispheres.

All at the same time...

Rick is my hero ... my new love.
שלום

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2017, 03:53:03 AM »
Rick is my hero ... my new love.

If Rick is your "new" love, than you don't actually know anything about him, do you?

Offline Baruch

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2017, 10:39:37 PM »
If Rick is your "new" love, than you don't actually know anything about him, do you?

I was implying that he is more attractive as an idol ... than you are (my prior love per Diedre).
שלום

Online Hydra009 (OP)

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2017, 11:10:41 PM »
The latest episode, Morty's Mind-Blowers, was a pretty average episode.  More of a mixed bag of clips than an actual show.

But after analyzing it a bit, it really kinda rubs me the wrong way.  This whole idea of memory-tampering seems like an especially horrible thing for Rick to be doing to Morty, plus Rick hasn't previously seemed to mind subjecting Morty to a bunch of extremely bad memories (that was even a plot point in Total Rickall), and if Rick is trying to groom Morty as his successor, then memory-tampering just damages his ability to learn from his adventures.

But man, this episode must be a delight for fanfic writers.  You can come up with any story - no matter how outlandish - and it works because the characters had their memories erased afterwards.

This was my favorite part:

I once poured a perfectly level glass of milk, exactly to the rim with not a single drop going over the side.  It felt like heaven.

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2017, 04:12:30 AM »
I was implying that he is more attractive as an idol ... than you are (my prior love per Diedre).

Rick is an idol the way Freddy Krueger is a good dream.  Morty lives in a world of completely insane people.