Author Topic: Any Rick and Morty fans around here?  (Read 184 times)

Offline Hydra009 (OP)

Any Rick and Morty fans around here?
« on: September 11, 2017, 09:46:00 PM »
I freaking love this show.  Hands down my favorite animated show of all time.  Yes, even better than the one you're thinking of.

For those who don't know, here's Rick and Morty in a nutshell:

The premise is simple:  a sociopathic, alcoholic genius scientist takes his naive, impressionable grandson on adventures across the universe (and multiverse).

The universe/multiverse is a deeply chaotic, horrible place where human values are meaningless and life has no inherent value.  These adventures inevitably damage your moral compass and place your life in serious jeopardy.  But you go anyway because there are mega fruit with mega seeds morty, AND I NEED THOSE MEGA SEEDS MORTY!

This show is a perfect mix of wacky hijinks, fart jokes, deep philosophical topics, and morality play (don't EVER be like Jerry, but also don't be too much like Rick)

Its serialized format makes for some very interesting worldbuilding and character development.  I bet 25 schmeckles that in the series finale
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 09:54:08 PM by Hydra009 »

Offline Baruch

Re: Any Rick and Morty fans around here?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 01:28:16 AM »
You got me hooked ... but isn't this Drew's theory?

שלום

Online Mr.Obvious

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 06:05:34 AM »
Aw jeez Hydra... I-I think that it's... like it. Yeah, Hydra, oh my, I like it. I do. It's great, and stuff, it's, it's great. Yeah.
E = Mc²

In the end, we are all standing in the dark,
trying to figure out why we are here.
But let us not choose one direction
without proof of where it is headed.

Check your pocket for matches
so we can observe and learn together
as fast friends and relative idiots.

Offline Sal1981

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 06:21:39 AM »
I've watched all the episodes so far. Season 3 has really outdone themselves.

Sendt fra min SM-G920F med Tapatalk

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool" --- Richard P. Feynman

Offline Baruch

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 07:20:32 AM »

Sendt fra min SM-G920F med Tapatalk

I really didn't know much about it until last night, when the OP suggested it.  Now I have insomnia ... damn you!
שלום

Offline Hydra009 (OP)

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 06:44:10 PM »
The Rickshank Rickdemption really wowed me.  Then Vindicators 3: The Return of Worldender became my new favorite.  Now, it's The Ricklantis Mixup.  They just keep on putting out amazing episode after amazing episode.

And it wasn't always that way.  Season 1 was kinda hit and miss.  Season 2 was a noticeable improvement, but it had some issues.  Season 3 has been amazing so far.

Online Mr.Obvious

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 04:07:41 AM »
The Rickshank Rickdemption really wowed me.  Then Vindicators 3: The Return of Worldender became my new favorite.  Now, it's The Ricklantis Mixup.  They just keep on putting out amazing episode after amazing episode.

And it wasn't always that way.  Season 1 was kinda hit and miss.  Season 2 was a noticeable improvement, but it had some issues.  Season 3 has been amazing so far.

Yeah, and what I find weird is that some people seem to think season 3 is the worst one so far.
Reasoning I've heard for it is that people feel let down that Rick isn't showing the heart he seemed to show at the end of season 2. And that Vindicators 3 is one of the worst episodes because they liked the idea of these characters and to see them thrown away, rather than becoming an actual Avenger's style team that comes in time and again in the show as regular characters is somehow a dissapointment.
But I think that's the entire point of the show. It's not about satisfying character-archs and building towards what we expect. I'd classify this show as an anti-show because it goes exactly against that and it works hard to make us trust it, to tug at our heartstrings, and then punch us hard in the stomach when we least expect it. Rick and Morty is hilarious, but it's not out there to work to give us what we think we want. It's out there to do it's own thing. And that's what I like about it. (Amongst a million other reasons.)
E = Mc²

Offline Baruch

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 06:57:42 AM »
I watch it for pointers.  To be more like Rick and less like Morty ;-)
שלום

Online Shiranu

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 07:30:31 AM »
The Ricklantis is not just one of the best, if not the best, R&M episode but also one of the best animated episodes of any series ever.
"No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin or his background or his religion..." - Nelson Mandela

"Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be." - Miguel de Cervantes

Online Mr.Obvious

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 05:09:02 PM »
E = Mc²

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 05:12:17 PM »
I like Rick and Morty, but they'll have to wait until I finish binging on Soap.
God Not Found
"Never criticize someone unless you've walked a mile in his shoes. Then when you criticize him at least you'll be a mile away - and you'll have his shoes."
Ray Magliozzi
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted at all."

Offline Baruch

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 06:25:13 PM »
I like Rick and Morty, but they'll have to wait until I finish binging on Soap.

You made Camus sad.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 08:42:39 PM by Baruch »
שלום

Offline Hydra009 (OP)

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 07:49:25 PM »
Yeah, and what I find weird is that some people seem to think season 3 is the worst one so far.
They must be from the Doofus Rick dimension.  :P

Reasoning I've heard for it is that people feel let down that Rick isn't showing the heart he seemed to show at the end of season 2.
Hmm.  Possibly.  He's not a emotional wreck like he was in season 2, but I guarantee you some sort of emotional breakdown is definitely going to happen to Rick this season.

And that Vindicators 3 is one of the worst episodes because they liked the idea of these characters and to see them thrown away, rather than becoming an actual Avenger's style team that comes in time and again in the show as regular characters is somehow a dissapointment.
Yeah, I would've liked them to stick around, too.  In fact, that's what I was expecting.  What I didn't expect was

But I think that's the entire point of the show. It's not about satisfying character-archs and building towards what we expect. I'd classify this show as an anti-show because it goes exactly against that and it works hard to make us trust it, to tug at our heartstrings, and then punch us hard in the stomach when we least expect it.
It does zig-zag expectations and punches us in the gut when we expected a hug.  And while we don't get satisfying character-archs
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 07:58:24 PM by Hydra009 »

Offline Hydra009 (OP)

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2017, 07:56:25 PM »

Wisecrack is always great at spotting the deeper meanings of the episodes.

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2017, 04:09:26 AM »
I think the whole point may be that Rick is slowly wearing out.  None of his family is following in his footprints, he has destroyed all his similars in the other universes and Morty is slowly coming to realize Rick is too sick to be a role model.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 04:17:32 AM by Cavebear »
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!