Any Rick and Morty fans around here?

Started by Hydra009, September 11, 2017, 09:46:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

I freaking love this show.  Hands down my favorite animated show of all time.  Yes, even better than the one you're thinking of.

For those who don't know, here's Rick and Morty in a nutshell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2pAYKJcG4g

The premise is simple:  a sociopathic, alcoholic genius scientist takes his naive, impressionable grandson on adventures across the universe (and multiverse).

The universe/multiverse is a deeply chaotic, horrible place where human values are meaningless and life has no inherent value.  These adventures inevitably damage your moral compass and place your life in serious jeopardy.  But you go anyway because there are mega fruit with mega seeds morty, AND I NEED THOSE MEGA SEEDS MORTY!

This show is a perfect mix of wacky hijinks, fart jokes, deep philosophical topics, and morality play (don't EVER be like Jerry, but also don't be too much like Rick)

Its serialized format makes for some very interesting worldbuilding and character development.  I bet 25 schmeckles that in the series finale [spoiler]the Rick we know dies and Morty replaces Rick as the new genius inter-dimensional man of science.[/spoiler]

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

Aw jeez Hydra... I-I think that it's... like it. Yeah, Hydra, oh my, I like it. I do. It's great, and stuff, it's, it's great. Yeah.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Sal1981

I've watched all the episodes so far. Season 3 has really outdone themselves.

Sendt fra min SM-G920F med Tapatalk

Baruch

Quote from: Sal1981 on September 12, 2017, 06:21:39 AM

Sendt fra min SM-G920F med Tapatalk

I really didn't know much about it until last night, when the OP suggested it.  Now I have insomnia ... damn you!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Sal1981 on September 12, 2017, 06:21:39 AM
The Rickshank Rickdemption really wowed me.  Then Vindicators 3: The Return of Worldender became my new favorite.  Now, it's The Ricklantis Mixup.  They just keep on putting out amazing episode after amazing episode.

And it wasn't always that way.  Season 1 was kinda hit and miss.  Season 2 was a noticeable improvement, but it had some issues.  Season 3 has been amazing so far.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 12, 2017, 06:44:10 PM
The Rickshank Rickdemption really wowed me.  Then Vindicators 3: The Return of Worldender became my new favorite.  Now, it's The Ricklantis Mixup.  They just keep on putting out amazing episode after amazing episode.

And it wasn't always that way.  Season 1 was kinda hit and miss.  Season 2 was a noticeable improvement, but it had some issues.  Season 3 has been amazing so far.

Yeah, and what I find weird is that some people seem to think season 3 is the worst one so far.
Reasoning I've heard for it is that people feel let down that Rick isn't showing the heart he seemed to show at the end of season 2. And that Vindicators 3 is one of the worst episodes because they liked the idea of these characters and to see them thrown away, rather than becoming an actual Avenger's style team that comes in time and again in the show as regular characters is somehow a dissapointment.
But I think that's the entire point of the show. It's not about satisfying character-archs and building towards what we expect. I'd classify this show as an anti-show because it goes exactly against that and it works hard to make us trust it, to tug at our heartstrings, and then punch us hard in the stomach when we least expect it. Rick and Morty is hilarious, but it's not out there to work to give us what we think we want. It's out there to do it's own thing. And that's what I like about it. (Amongst a million other reasons.)

Baruch

I watch it for pointers.  To be more like Rick and less like Morty ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

The Ricklantis is not just one of the best, if not the best, R&M episode but also one of the best animated episodes of any series ever.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Mr.Obvious

Unbeliever

I like Rick and Morty, but they'll have to wait until I finish binging on Soap.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 13, 2017, 05:12:17 PM
I like Rick and Morty, but they'll have to wait until I finish binging on Soap.

You made Camus sad.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on September 13, 2017, 04:07:41 AM
Yeah, and what I find weird is that some people seem to think season 3 is the worst one so far.
They must be from the Doofus Rick dimension.  :P

QuoteReasoning I've heard for it is that people feel let down that Rick isn't showing the heart he seemed to show at the end of season 2.
Hmm.  Possibly.  He's not a emotional wreck like he was in season 2, but I guarantee you some sort of emotional breakdown is definitely going to happen to Rick this season.

QuoteAnd that Vindicators 3 is one of the worst episodes because they liked the idea of these characters and to see them thrown away, rather than becoming an actual Avenger's style team that comes in time and again in the show as regular characters is somehow a dissapointment.
Yeah, I would've liked them to stick around, too.  In fact, that's what I was expecting.  What I didn't expect was [spoiler]Rick becomes so jealous of Morty admiring someone else that he set up an elaborate trap to impugn their character and inadvertently got most of them killed.  It's not clear exactly how culpable he was, but imho, a couple charges of involuntary and/or intoxication manslaughter would be warranted at the very least.

And as an aside, Million Ants and Crocubot are my favorite characters.  If you watch closely, whenever Million Ants is splattered with guts, Million Ants quickly absorbs it as nourishment.

Instead of the superhero parody I was expecting, I got a dark and cynical take on superheroes, even casting doubt on the idea of moral good at all.  It was very different, but in a good way.

And it's not entirely clear who's in the right here.  Vance's retort to Rick's moral nihilism, "I get the feeling...he kinda needs that to be the case" might have some merit to it.  Perhaps Rick is attacking the concept of morality for self-serving reasons.  Not just to maintain his status with Morty, but also to try to free himself of guilt for all the evil things he's done.[/spoiler]

QuoteBut I think that's the entire point of the show. It's not about satisfying character-archs and building towards what we expect. I'd classify this show as an anti-show because it goes exactly against that and it works hard to make us trust it, to tug at our heartstrings, and then punch us hard in the stomach when we least expect it.
It does zig-zag expectations and punches us in the gut when we expected a hug.  And while we don't get satisfying character-archs[spoiler]Rick never bemoans the fate of the denizens trapped in his car battery or regrets Cronenberging the world and abandoning 2/3s of his family.  But we do get some nice character development.  Rick is shown to care deeply about Morty.  He also accepts Summer as a Morty substitute, tries to connect with Beth, and attempts to bury the hatchet with Jerry.  Summer becomes more adventure-capable, sometimes surpassing even Morty.  Morty, previously cowardly and idiotic, is showing signs of increasing courage and intelligence.  He went from a simpleton with an unspecified mental condition to a decently intelligent adventurer who can handle some rick tech independently.  He's also now a decent pilot and expert bomb defuser.[/spoiler]

Hydra009

Cavebear

I think the whole point may be that Rick is slowly wearing out.  None of his family is following in his footprints, he has destroyed all his similars in the other universes and Morty is slowly coming to realize Rick is too sick to be a role model.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!