News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Where were you on 9-11?

Started by Cavebear, September 11, 2017, 08:24:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

chill98

I worked for the state in the same office as my mom.  We started early so it was just us, and I was listening to the radio. They announced a plane had hit and no one knew nothing.  I popped up CNN on my pc and wandered into my mom's office and told her.  Without looking up, she said "its a terrorist attack".  I was like, You don't know that...

She said "planes dont hit buildings, it had to be with intent".  I blew her off as being over imaginative.  As co-workers came in, each asked "had we heard what happened?"  Someone dragged a tv out of their office and set it up in the break room.  Each time someone called into the office, they would ask if we had heard. 

The second plane hit and it was over.  Terrorist attack beyond a doubt.  Then when we went out for 1st break, in the smoking area were all these feds, probably 6 of them, in street clothes, and they stood out from the usual crowd.    And that was a sobering moment in itself.  Of course there were feds in our building.  The USA was under attack and no one knew how many plans were being implemented and this building had many state offices.

Over the next few days I felt some guilt as I enjoyed the quiet skies.  The eerie silence of no planes flying around.

aitm

I was in a Dr room preparing for what I thought would be a rather scary finding. Instead I watched the first crash, then the nurse walked in and said matter of factly, "yeah, you're pretty fucked up"....to be fair to her, I had already said in the same words that I was probably fucked up because of ..and...and...and...

Long and short I had/have a thyroid problem..none-the-less before I left the office I knew what we "thought" had happened. And less than one hour later in Lubbock Texas the streets were full of trucks with flags waving and guns sticking out the windows and sometimes a half dozen guys or gals in the backs with assorted weapons. Luckily the police decided to let it ride or we could have had an entire town self destruct in a half day.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on September 11, 2017, 08:24:44 AM
I was in a government building 2 blocks from The White House.  I heard on the radio that a plane had struck the WTC.  Weird accident, but I mentioned it to my Division Director because he was also in charge of emergency response. 

I felt the plane hit the Pentagon.  There was a "thump" up through the floor.  I didn't know what it was at the time.  I will forever remember that I was sitting on a toilet at 9:37 and felt it right up through the plumbing.  Well, I was where I was and no one else felt it.  I got out and asked about it.  No one else knew.  I doubt many other people not at the site detected the Pentagon explosion with their butt!

Then we saw the smoke rising.  We ran to the conference room where the emergency monitor was feeding govt pictures and saw the WTC horror.

When the 2nd one fell, most thought it was a replay of the first tragedy, but I realized and shouted it was the 2nd.  We were horrified

Most everyone simply left, fearing more attacks.  I saw the streets jammed with traffic and sat on the rooftop looking for the rumoured 4th plane.  If it was going to hit something near, I wanted to observe it. 

It didn't. thanks to brave actions by passengers.  But I sat and waited.  The drive home was quiet and easy.

I will never forgive and never forget.   
Who is it you will never forgive?
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mike Cl

I was walking my dogs about 5:30 am, when a neighbor stopped me and said an airplane had hit a building.  I said, 'okay' and finished my walk.  Took a shower and went to work.  When I got to work, it was on a TV at the guards station (juvenile hall) and the second one had hit.  Watched for a bit and then went to my classroom.  I was concerned but I had little to no details.  War entered my thoughts.  Did not have a TV in the classrooms, so had few details until I went home. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 11, 2017, 01:51:49 PM
You never fail to amaze me.    I just wish you weren't such a weird theist.  I could a dismiss a normal one.  It would be easier if we didn't have so much in common...

I get into your head ... thank the dentist who put radio receivers in your fillings ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: _Xenu_ on September 11, 2017, 02:28:33 PM
9/11 happened while I was sleeping. I got up, stopped by my bank to make a withdrawel like any other day, and I could tell the cashier was a bit off for some reason. I drove to Quick Trip to get my morning paper, and there was a guy bringing stacks of special edition papers that said America At War. I thought oh shit, we are at war with the Chinese.

We are ... America whores and wars with everyone ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 11, 2017, 03:49:44 PM
Events happen when you least expect them. 

I went home that day and thought "I really need to find a way to remember this date.  911 did not originally occur to me.  I kept trying "September" something. 

Then, DUH!  I

f I may be allowed some humor...  I bet that never occurred to Bin Laden ...

That was the anniversary of the building of the Pentagon in 1941.  The bastard knew ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

pr126

Baruch

Quote from: pr126 on September 12, 2017, 12:59:11 AM
Anyone knows what happened on 9/11/1683?

Puts up hand ... wasn't that when the croissant was invented?  I messed up on Sunday night.  Was telling that story to friends while eating almond croissants at Starbucks ... and thought it was 1688.  Clever people not only know history, they deliberately reprise it.  Hitler loved to do bad things on Jewish holidays.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Sal1981

Drove home from Gymnasium and was told, paraphrasingly, "A plane hit a skyscraper in New York!" in the car radio. I watched BBC World News for like 3 hours after I got home.

trdsf

Driving to Tim Hortons for a morning coffee and donut -- I was between jobs at the time.  I tuned in Morning Edition; the first plane had only just hit and my thought was "Wow, what a terrible accident" and gave it no further thought.  There was no thought at the time that it was anything more than that, just a terrible accident, like when the Empire State Building was hit by a B-25 in 1945.  Scooted back home, we were expecting the cable installer that day, so I watched snowy coverage from just after the second plane hit.

Being a good Wiccan at the time, I cast a protective circle and tried to gather my by-then rattled wits.  My then-partner came home from work about then; he worked for the state and they sent all the state employees home as it became clear this was more than an accident.  And around about then the cable guy came and hooked us up and we spent the rest of the day as transfixed as anyone else that day.

It was an awful week for him; his brother worked for the federal government, his office was near the Pentagon, and he often was in the Pentagon.  He couldn't get a message out that he was okay until three days later; he had witnessed the Pentagon impact and their department went straight to work -- he was either DoJ or State, I forget which.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 11, 2017, 08:20:08 PM
Who is it you will never forgive?

A longer list than you might think.  Al Queda for planning it, the Taliban for supporting it, the Saudis for tolerating the types of people who conducted it, and many Arabic states who generally supported the idea. 

I consider a large number of Islamists terrorists by religion and nature.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on September 14, 2017, 03:30:18 AM
A longer list than you might think.  Al Queda for planning it, the Taliban for supporting it, the Saudis for tolerating the types of people who conducted it, and many Arabic states who generally supported the idea. 

I consider a large number of Islamists terrorists by religion and nature.
I can't forgive Bush for hiring his entire administration--he is basically a criminal.  And the American people for falling, hook, line and sinker for the fear mongering that Bush used to get his way.  I am so FUCKING SICK and TIRED of hearing people saying 'aren't you afraid?'  My answer--NO, I'm not fucking afraid, I'm pissed.  Get the fuckers who did this--Saudi's--not some other oil rich country.