News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Where were you on 9-11?

Started by Cavebear, September 11, 2017, 08:24:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

I was in a government building 2 blocks from The White House.  I heard on the radio that a plane had struck the WTC.  Weird accident, but I mentioned it to my Division Director because he was also in charge of emergency response. 

I felt the plane hit the Pentagon.  There was a "thump" up through the floor.  I didn't know what it was at the time.  I will forever remember that I was sitting on a toilet at 9:37 and felt it right up through the plumbing.  Well, I was where I was and no one else felt it.  I got out and asked about it.  No one else knew.  I doubt many other people not at the site detected the Pentagon explosion with their butt!

Then we saw the smoke rising.  We ran to the conference room where the emergency monitor was feeding govt pictures and saw the WTC horror.

When the 2nd one fell, most thought it was a replay of the first tragedy, but I realized and shouted it was the 2nd.  We were horrified

Most everyone simply left, fearing more attacks.  I saw the streets jammed with traffic and sat on the rooftop looking for the rumoured 4th plane.  If it was going to hit something near, I wanted to observe it. 

It didn't. thanks to brave actions by passengers.  But I sat and waited.  The drive home was quiet and easy.

I will never forgive and never forget.   
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Gawdzilla Sama

At Purdue. My office had a TV "for training" and football games. The boss came in the turned it on without speaking. A crowd gathered. When the second plane hit I said "And where were you the day the war started?"
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Munch

I was running an assault course at an outdoor activity grounds. Was a fun day, even got to get close to horses for the first time and pet them.
Then got home and was told what happened, spent the rest of the day glued to the TV in shock
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Cavebear

What everyone was doing at the time is fascinating...  Hope to hear more.  I am thinking about it deeply today.

Baruch

At work in the same military medical clinic I provide computer support in.  We used to have a big screen TV in the lobby for the patients.  Usually had Fox News on it ;-(  Heard a rumor so went out to the lobby to see what was going on.  Was watching the big screen TV when the second plane hit.  Seemed surreal.  Then I had to get back to work.  Been on elevated military alert for 16 years now.

Did not know about the Pentagon hit or the Pennsylvania crash until later that day.  Sometime that morning we went to highest alert, when all aircraft in N America were grounded.  Everyone was confined to the building until the end of the work shift at that alert level (defense, not offense).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 11, 2017, 01:10:28 PM
At work in the same military medical clinic I provide computer support in.  We used to have a big screen TV in the lobby for the patients.  Usually had Fox News on it ;-(  Heard a rumor so went out to the lobby to see what was going on.  Was watching the big screen TV when the second plane hit.  Seemed surreal.  Then I had to get back to work.  Been on elevated military alert for 16 years now.

Did not know about the Pentagon hit or the Pennsylvania crash until later that day.  Sometime that morning we went to highest alert, when all aircraft in N America were grounded.  Everyone was confined to the building until the end of he work shift at that alert level (defense, not offense).

You never fail to amaze me.    I just wish you weren't such a weird theist.  I could a dismiss a normal one.  It would be easier if we didn't have so much in common...

GrinningYMIR

I was at school, was young and didn't understand the gravity of what was happening yet
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Cavebear

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on September 11, 2017, 01:55:52 PM
I was at school, was young and didn't understand the gravity of what was happening yet

That actually matters, too.  And that difference of experience counts.  I remember my parents talking about Pearl Harbor.  I understood it, but I didn't experience it.  Likewise, my youngest sister "understood" the JFK assassination but did not experience it.

There is a sense of "being there" that is never the same as learning about an event.  I hope you never have an event like those.  But you will, we just have no idea what it will be.  Some defining "I experienced that" moment. 

Thank you for the perspective.

_Xenu_

9/11 happened while I was sleeping. I got up, stopped by my bank to make a withdrawel like any other day, and I could tell the cashier was a bit off for some reason. I drove to Quick Trip to get my morning paper, and there was a guy bringing stacks of special edition papers that said America At War. I thought oh shit, we are at war with the Chinese.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

Unbeliever

We've always been at war with East Asia...
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 11, 2017, 03:20:58 PM
We've always been at war with East Asia...
We've always been at war with Oceania.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

I was minding my own business when I was told about it. I didn't believe it at first, since the guy who told me was known for the pulling of legs. But I turned on the TV and it was all over the place.

I still don't think we've been told the truth about what really happened. But I don't usually tell that to people, lest they think I'm an aluminum-foil-wearing Alex Jones fan. The only reason he talks about it is that everyone knows he's full of shit, so it's easier to discount the whole thing.
God Not Found

Cavebear

Quote from: _Xenu_ on September 11, 2017, 02:28:33 PM
9/11 happened while I was sleeping. I got up, stopped by my bank to make a withdrawel like any other day, and I could tell the cashier was a bit off for some reason. I drove to Quick Trip to get my morning paper, and there was a guy bringing stacks of special edition papers that said America At War. I thought oh shit, we are at war with the Chinese.

Events happen when you least expect them. 

I went home that day and thought "I really need to find a way to remember this date.  911 did not originally occur to me.  I kept trying "September" something. 

Then, DUH!  I

f I may be allowed some humor...  I bet that never occurred to Bin Laden ...

Unbeliever

Just came across this:

Fox host compares 9/11 memorial to Confederate monuments

Quote from: Secretary Ryan ZinkeSince we don't put up statues of Jesus, everyone is going to fall morally short.

Yeah, except him...
God Not Found

PickelledEggs

I was in 7th grade middle school in my home room. The announcement came on stating what happened, followed by a few names being called to leave class to go home. I live near NYC and a lot of people commute to The City. A few of my fellow classmates lost parents that day.