News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

God is Imaginary

Started by fencerider, September 11, 2017, 04:18:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 14, 2017, 07:50:27 PM
Perhaps.  But if you hate Populism, you must love Elitism.  And you will burn in Hell, sorry.

Not respecting William James Byran's unsensible gold standard claptrap views is not an argument against populism.  Other politicians were anti- gold standard but otherwise populist.

I am not elitist.  The only thing 1%s mean to me is $3000 bottles of champagne (like Trump's lawyers were caught drinking this week) and utter waste.  If you can't control your own spending, you sure won't care about MY tax dollars.

Elitist?  I laugh at you while eating my dinner of pork stew drinking half my $10 1.5 liter bottle of Zinfandel!

Which is very decent, BTW!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

So you disagree with him on his support for the Silver Mining Subsidy that existed from the early 1870s until the early 1890s.  Are you against the Grange as it existed in the 1890s?  Or do you disagree with the view that the gold standard at that time, was a conspiracy by the British Empire and against American interests?

I think it is true, regardless of the money situation, that without the farmers, all you city folks are dead.  But the battle was lost, farmers are the bitch of the city folk, until the city folk kill all the farmers, and wonder where the food went to.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 19, 2017, 10:04:30 PM
So you disagree with him on his support for the Silver Mining Subsidy that existed from the early 1870s until the early 1890s.  Are you against the Grange as it existed in the 1890s?  Or do you disagree with the view that the gold standard at that time, was a conspiracy by the British Empire and against American interests?

I think it is true, regardless of the money situation, that without the farmers, all you city folks are dead.  But the battle was lost, farmers are the bitch of the city folk, until the city folk kill all the farmers, and wonder where the food went to.

Going off the gold standard would have severely reduced US trade with Europe.  "According to rhetorical historian William Harpine in his study of the rhetoric of the 1896 campaign, "Bryan's speech cast a net for the true believers, but only for the true believers."

Bensel said "In a very real sense, adoption of the silver plank in the platform was akin to a millennial expectation that the "laws of economics" would henceforth be suspended and that the silver men could simply "will" that silver and gold would, in fact, trade on financial markets at a ratio of sixteen to one."

The fluctuations of the silver market would have caused more harm than good to US farmers in the following years.

The laws of economics do not yield to political populism then or now.  The Silver argument was Fool's Gold and has been historicall refuted.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 23, 2017, 04:57:20 AM

Going off the gold standard would have severely reduced US trade with Europe.  "According to rhetorical historian William Harpine in his study of the rhetoric of the 1896 campaign, "Bryan's speech cast a net for the true believers, but only for the true believers."

Bensel said "In a very real sense, adoption of the silver plank in the platform was akin to a millennial expectation that the "laws of economics" would henceforth be suspended and that the silver men could simply "will" that silver and gold would, in fact, trade on financial markets at a ratio of sixteen to one."

The fluctuations of the silver market would have caused more harm than good to US farmers in the following years.

The laws of economics do not yield to political populism then or now.  The Silver argument was Fool's Gold and has been historicall refuted.

So the one and only component of the then GDP that mattered was foreign trade, or trade with the British Empire?  Really?  Or was the lobby community supporting that decision just better funded than the lobby community supporting the alternatives?  In what way has lobbying changed? (rhetorical).

I happen to agree that Free Silver was a subsidy for certain sectors of the economy.  That is how the Feds have been interfering in commerce since before the Civil War.  One of the objections of the South to the North was because of that kind of economic extraction (NYC banks).  The NYC banks are still sucking us dry.

There is only one economic law (given business and government interference) ... F the other guy before he F's you.  And we do, though it is particularly good strategy to use the Feds or States as your bitch in Crony Capitalism (the game, children not allowed).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 23, 2017, 03:27:07 PM
So the one and only component of the then GDP that mattered was foreign trade, or trade with the British Empire?  Really?  Or was the lobby community supporting that decision just better funded than the lobby community supporting the alternatives?  In what way has lobbying changed? (rhetorical).

I happen to agree that Free Silver was a subsidy for certain sectors of the economy.  That is how the Feds have been interfering in commerce since before the Civil War.  One of the objections of the South to the North was because of that kind of economic extraction (NYC banks).  The NYC banks are still sucking us dry.

Feeling a bit bitter about money these days are we?

The wealthiest Southerners were living off indebiting themselves recklessly to people who actually HAD money, and they were in the North.  Who actually produced thing efficiently and earned actual money.

The slave trade wasn't doomed by the Civil War; it was doomed because even the richest Southern plantation-owners were deep in debt as a result of a failed system economically even if you ignore the moral horror of the system.  It was going to collapse anyway and the Southern elite manufactured reasons to succeed economic and slavery.  The system they loved and still try yo support in some States.

Free silver was always a fake issue.  It never really mattered whether silver was currency.  Currency is always just trusted bits of paper for individual exchange after modern governments came into being.

Ever tried to eat a $1 bill?  Is it more nutritious than a $5?  Or a $100?

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 28, 2017, 05:17:26 AM
Feeling a bit bitter about money these days are we?

The wealthiest Southerners were living off indebiting themselves recklessly to people who actually HAD money, and they were in the North.  Who actually produced thing efficiently and earned actual money.

The slave trade wasn't doomed by the Civil War; it was doomed because even the richest Southern plantation-owners were deep in debt as a result of a failed system economically even if you ignore the moral horror of the system.  It was going to collapse anyway and the Southern elite manufactured reasons to succeed economic and slavery.  The system they loved and still try yo support in some States.

Free silver was always a fake issue.  It never really mattered whether silver was currency.  Currency is always just trusted bits of paper for individual exchange after modern governments came into being.

Ever tried to eat a $1 bill?  Is it more nutritious than a $5?  Or a $100?

I agree ... debtors always bitch that they didn't get a good deal ;-)  Yes, I do think it was going to fail, because of low cyclic prices for cotton (available from Egypt and India).  Well, if we can kill all of Congress, when they go $1 over budget ... then we don't need a hard money standard.  The only value of hard money, is that it is hard for the politicians to buy votes.  Otherwise all countries end up like Venezuela.  And you prove my point regarding Populism of 1890s ... the farmers should have gone John Galt and starved the cities out.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 28, 2017, 06:51:51 PM
I agree ... debtors always bitch that they didn't get a good deal ;-)  Yes, I do think it was going to fail, because of low cyclic prices for cotton (available from Egypt and India).  Well, if we can kill all of Congress, when they go $1 over budget ... then we don't need a hard money standard.  The only value of hard money, is that it is hard for the politicians to buy votes.  Otherwise all countries end up like Venezuela.  And you prove my point regarding Populism of 1890s ... the farmers should have gone John Galt and starved the cities out.

You should learn the lesson of the 2 chinese villages about to war with each other over making hoes.  A bearucrat stepped in and declared that one village would make the blades and one the handles and they all lived happily ever after selling the assembled hoes.  The end.  Go to sleep now...

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 01, 2017, 09:33:05 AM
You should learn the lesson of the 2 chinese villages about to war with each other over making hoes.  A bearucrat stepped in and declared that one village would make the blades and one the handles and they all lived happily ever after selling the assembled hoes.  The end.  Go to sleep now...

Good story, but we are uncivilized "round eyes" and we have no Mandate From Heaven via the Emperor.  This is how paper money was first propagated in China under the N Sung dynasty, and shortly later by the Yuan (Mongol) dynasty.  The Mongol officials were succinct ... accept this official paper in lieu of payment, or the divine Kublai Khan will be pissed, and have us remove your head (and that of all your other relatives ... that is a lot of people in China).  The resulting hyperinflation helped bring down the Yuan dynasty, that and Divine Wind destroying two invasions of Japan.  Banzai!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 01, 2017, 03:32:27 PM
Good story, but we are uncivilized "round eyes" and we have no Mandate From Heaven via the Emperor.  This is how paper money was first propagated in China under the N Sung dynasty, and shortly later by the Yuan (Mongol) dynasty.  The Mongol officials were succinct ... accept this official paper in lieu of payment, or the divine Kublai Khan will be pissed, and have us remove your head (and that of all your other relatives ... that is a lot of people in China).  The resulting hyperinflation helped bring down the Yuan dynasty, that and Divine Wind destroying two invasions of Japan.  Banzai!

The Chinese invasion of Japan failed mostly because they thought river boats could cross the ocean.  Almost all naval battles are between obsolete ships and new ideas.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 04, 2017, 04:23:19 AM
The Chinese invasion of Japan failed mostly because they thought river boats could cross the ocean.  Almost all naval battles are between obsolete ships and new ideas.

That isn't how the Japanese describe it ;-)  Here, I have a fresh plate of fugu for you to try ;-))
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 04, 2017, 08:27:50 PM
That isn't how the Japanese describe it ;-)  Here, I have a fresh plate of fugu for you to try ;-))

Yeah, the Japanese prefer the Divine Wind idea suggesting they were supernaturally favored.  But the Chinese Emperor's demand for "boats now" was mostly to blame.  And I read an article once that gave some evidence that  the Chinese actually used Japanese slaves to build the boats designed to attack Japan.  Talk about STUPID!  LOL!