News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

God is Imaginary

Started by fencerider, September 11, 2017, 04:18:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fencerider

sometimes when I get bored I do a search on a random phrase just to see what comes up. Last week I learned that a search for the phrase " Is god real?" gets you a complete different list of results than a search for the phrase " god is not real". I found another interesting website like kyroot called 50 proofs that God is imaginary.

https://godisimaginary.com/index.htm

A little bit of entertainment if you only read one or two, but it starts to get repetitive and boring if you read them all. Soon it will be time to search a new phrase...
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Cavebear

Quote from: fencerider on September 11, 2017, 04:18:39 AM
sometimes when I get bored I do a search on a random phrase just to see what comes up. Last week I learned that a search for the phrase " Is god real?" gets you a complete different list of results than a search for the phrase " god is not real". I found another interesting website like kyroot called 50 proofs that God is imaginary.

A little bit of entertainment if you only read one or two, but it starts to get repetitive and boring if you read them all. Soon it will be time to search a new phrase...

Does "god is imaginary" include "human society wouldn't by insane "?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

If reality is imaginary (it is) then someone imaginary could be real ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

It does look like an interesting and well-constructed list, but it's waaaaaay too long for me.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Mike Cl

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 12, 2017, 11:29:06 AM
It does look like an interesting and well-constructed list, but it's waaaaaay too long for me.
I think so to.  Which is why I bookmark those sites and return to them every now and again and read a little further down the list.  Helps on those days when boredom seems to lurk everywhere.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Unbeliever

I just read the whole list, and I can see someone's put a lot of thought into it. I'll have to check it out more fully later, when I have more time. I want to see if anything can be added to the list, or if they've exhaustively covered the field. I didn't see anything obviously missing, which is great! Atheists should know as much as they can about why they don't believe in God. Apatheism's OK, but on a forum we should all be on our toes when these "people" come here to preach at us.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

SGOS

This thread should get the defenders of the faith going

Blackleaf

Quote from: SGOS on September 12, 2017, 12:25:18 PM

Assuming they're willing to read.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on September 12, 2017, 12:25:18 PM

Not defending faith as in ... believe in this without justification.  I only accept it, if I can see, touch or feel it ... and then I am not engaged in any beliefs.

Fides = trustworthiness ... as in the old Roman dog name, Fido.  I do want to be trustworthy, even if you don't care to trust me.  But I have nothing to sell you anyway.

You can accept something if you can see, touch or feel it, and if you do, we are in potential agreement.  Extrapolation from that gets more and more tenuous.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 12, 2017, 12:29:12 PM
Assuming they're willing to read.

Oh I accepted this clear attempt at "clickbait".  But I didn't prematurely raise my expectations.  Rationalist arguments are ... meh, anyway.  But they are a small step up from arguments from authority, like Randy gave us.  Without empirical observation or experimentation ... it is just pissing up wind.  Drew vs Others is simply a rationalizer pissing contest.  But I keep the cow patties as WMD for myself ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

I've heard some theists ask how we can trust our senses - since we must have faith that our senses are showing us the world as it really is, and sometimes we hallucinate. All I can say is we have no choice but to assume that what we see and feel is really there, though we may interpret those things differently. We each are a context, waiting to write the world into our story.
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 12, 2017, 01:27:54 PM
I've heard some theists ask how we can trust our senses - since we must have faith that our senses are showing us the world as it really is, and sometimes we hallucinate. All I can say is we have no choice but to assume that what we see and feel is really there, though we may interpret those things differently. We each are a context, waiting to write the world into our story.

Can't praise this post enough!  Yes, there are multiple paths to nihilism.  Theists and atheists just choose different paths.  Even David Hume didn't go full retard ... he let Rousseau do that.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Well, as Clarence Darrow understood:

"We are born and we die; and between these two most important events in our lives more or less time elapses which we have to waste somehow or other. In the end it does not seem to matter much whether we have done so in making money, or practicing law, or reading or playing, or in any other way, as long as we felt we were deriving a maximum of happiness out of our doings.”

"The best that we can do is to be kindly and helpful toward our friends and fellow passengers who are clinging to the same speck of dirt while we are drifting side by side to our common doom."

God Not Found

Mr.Obvious

"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on September 12, 2017, 01:13:40 PM
Not defending faith as in ... believe in this without justification.  I only accept it, if I can see, touch or feel it ... and then I am not engaged in any beliefs.

Fides = trustworthiness ... as in the old Roman dog name, Fido.  I do want to be trustworthy, even if you don't care to trust me.  But I have nothing to sell you anyway.

You can accept something if you can see, touch or feel it, and if you do, we are in potential agreement.  Extrapolation from that gets more and more tenuous.
Baruch, I have never doubted you had/have first hand experience with your g-d.  And I like the way you explained faith.  As you said, if you can see it, touch it or feel it---belief is not needed, for you it has happened in a tangible way.  You don't believe it, you know it.  And from that gnosis (knowing) your experience can be acted upon.  All of that is valid--for you.  For anyone else to accept your experience requires belief.  I need to believe you really experienced that; had that happen to you.  For you have no way of providing any empirical evidence for me or anyone else.   And so I don't accept what you say about your g-d, not because I think you are making things up, but that your brain did that for (or to) you for some reason.  And I think that in a day far, far from now, science will be able to explain it.  Belief and magic belong in the same universe--the universe of the unnatural, or supernatural--or the land of fiction.  It is real only to one person.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?