News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Whites using urban slang terms

Started by Bahana, September 10, 2017, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bahana

Sometimes those words are so much fun to say that white people can't help it. If it's not your natural way of speaking it can sound mocking. Does this anger those in the urban community? Is it cultural appropriation?

Shiranu

We don't have anyone "urban" here, so potentially hard for you to receive a good answer.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Mike Cl

Not quite sure what you are driving at--not a hip hop lover nor urban.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Munch

Why can't white people be urban? Plenty of white rapers and hip hop performers around.

This is like saying black people can't do classical music or Opera.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Shiranu

Quote from: Bahana on September 10, 2017, 02:38:54 PM
No hip hop lovers?

Love hip hop, just not the culture I'm from.

And I don't think most African Americans and inner city minorities have a problem with urban whites, they have a problem with suburban whites who haven't struggled a day in their life appropriating something "cool" without any understanding or care for why that culture developed the way it did.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Cavebear

Quote from: Shiranu on September 10, 2017, 04:05:41 PM

And I don't think most African Americans and inner city minorities have a problem with urban whites, they have a problem with suburban whites who haven't struggled a day in their life appropriating something "cool" without any understanding or care for why that culture developed the way it did.

I don't appropriate "urban cool".  Don't hit high or low, around the backside of in front too. 

I say hello and shake hands.  And speak and write standard midwest American.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on September 10, 2017, 04:05:41 PM

Rap only for thug gangsters?

Jazz only for 1930s Blacks?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.