Should convincing someone of a bad idea lead to prosecution?

Started by Coveny, September 09, 2017, 10:56:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

One can be in favor of science in general, plant-breeding in general and vaccines, but still not in favor of genetic plant-breeding. 

My concern is that genetic plant-breeding is mostly that it allows some plants to be resistant to standard herbicides, patented plants pollens that drift to innocent farmers' crops (leading to moronic patent violation claims), and generalized herbicide resistance in weeds.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 28, 2017, 01:05:14 AM
One can be in favor of science in general, plant-breeding in general and vaccines, but still not in favor of genetic plant-breeding. 

My concern is that genetic plant-breeding is mostly that it allows some plants to be resistant to standard herbicides, patented plants pollens that drift to innocent farmers' crops (leading to moronic patent violation claims), and generalized herbicide resistance in weeds.

So you do understand ;-)  Law of unintended consequences, and no actual enforceable bioethics laws to begin with.  If it makes some criminal organization a profit, it is their right to do it.  In which case we need to apologize to the Columbian drug cartel.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 28, 2017, 07:22:49 PM
So you do understand ;-)  Law of unintended consequences, and no actual enforceable bioethics laws to begin with.  If it makes some criminal organization a profit, it is their right to do it.  In which case we need to apologize to the Columbian drug cartel.

The consequences may not have been as "unintended" as some companies would claim.  And I see the sarcasm...  LOL!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!