Author Topic: Should convincing someone of a bad idea lead to prosecution?  (Read 354 times)

Online Cavebear

Re: Should convincing someone of a bad idea lead to prosecution?
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2017, 01:05:14 AM »
One can be in favor of science in general, plant-breeding in general and vaccines, but still not in favor of genetic plant-breeding. 

My concern is that genetic plant-breeding is mostly that it allows some plants to be resistant to standard herbicides, patented plants pollens that drift to innocent farmers' crops (leading to moronic patent violation claims), and generalized herbicide resistance in weeds.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!  b 1950

Offline Baruch

« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2017, 07:22:49 PM »
One can be in favor of science in general, plant-breeding in general and vaccines, but still not in favor of genetic plant-breeding. 

My concern is that genetic plant-breeding is mostly that it allows some plants to be resistant to standard herbicides, patented plants pollens that drift to innocent farmers' crops (leading to moronic patent violation claims), and generalized herbicide resistance in weeds.

So you do understand ;-)  Law of unintended consequences, and no actual enforceable bioethics laws to begin with.  If it makes some criminal organization a profit, it is their right to do it.  In which case we need to apologize to the Columbian drug cartel.
שלום

Online Cavebear

« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2017, 08:35:05 AM »
So you do understand ;-)  Law of unintended consequences, and no actual enforceable bioethics laws to begin with.  If it makes some criminal organization a profit, it is their right to do it.  In which case we need to apologize to the Columbian drug cartel.

The consequences may not have been as "unintended" as some companies would claim.  And I see the sarcasm...  LOL!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!  b 1950