News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Atheism Poll

Started by Drew_2017, September 09, 2017, 03:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

They seem conveniently to forget about the parasites, the tornadoes, the earthquakes, etc. when believing in the absolute goodness of their God.

Isn't that special?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on September 14, 2017, 03:22:50 PM
I would turn that around, actually -- they see a god, and they need to make everything be a reason for that god to exist, no matter how much of a non sequitur the claim is.  They're not looking at the universe and deriving a creator, they're looking at a creator first and declaring the universe a 'creation' by fiat.  It's the "But but but... rainbows!  Puppies!  Butterflies!" argument, writ extremely large.

Atheists don't claim to have the answers.  Certainty is for theists.  What we claim to have are questions I suppose.  Constant questions, and subject to revision as new facts are learned.  There is no revelations or "knowing".  There is always "the best understanding at the moment".

Theists want certainty and that is never possible.  The game is the seeking of information and perception of reality based on understanding what you know at the moment.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Mike Cl

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 14, 2017, 03:36:17 PM
They seem conveniently to forget about the parasites, the tornadoes, the earthquakes, etc. when believing in the absolute goodness of their God.

Isn't that special?
I love it when they say--Look at nature--isn't it wonderful, isn't it beautiful--there must be a god!  Yet they fail to see the spider paralyzing the fly and sucking it to death.  Beautiful!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 14, 2017, 06:43:20 PM
I love it when they say--Look at nature--isn't it wonderful, isn't it beautiful--there must be a god!  Yet they fail to see the spider paralyzing the fly and sucking it to death.  Beautiful!

People are just like that ... 4 eyes (if you wear glasses) and bloodsuckers.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

All the important things in the Babble aren't true. Creation story, resurrection, divine intervention, etc., all bullshit. Same with all the other gods. And believers don't make it any better, they lie and lie and lie.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on September 14, 2017, 01:57:40 PM
Fair enough.  I'll just keep on not believing it, because I don't give a big enough shit to research it either.

Some people who are part of Western civilization, like to claim that they owe nothing to prior generations ... they pulled themselves out of their own hat.  But every letter I type, goes back 3000 years and beyond ... so do the words and concepts.  There is nothing new under the sun .. you Millennials ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 14, 2017, 07:27:30 PM
All the important things in the Babble aren't true. Creation story, resurrection, divine intervention, etc., all bullshit. Same with all the other gods. And believers don't make it any better, they lie and lie and lie.

Yes, almost all fiction, like the Odyssey and Herodotus too.  Enjoy heroic poetry or not.  Enjoy patriotic propaganda or not.  For most people, their own consciousness is in a state of psychotic hysterical denial ever since they came out of their mother's birth canal.  They are John Luc Picard ... in the Gamma quadrant etc ... they can't accept themselves.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Isn't that special?

They define goodness in a special way.  I choose not to ... I see reality as amoral.  If you rob, rape and murder people ... I wouldn't be surprised at all.  Just don't virtue signal like a craven coward.  Man up.  This Is Sparta!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 14, 2017, 02:37:48 PM
When did I ever claim to have answers? All I've got are questions, and working hypotheses.

Smart people have questions ... dumb people have answers.  Atheists and theists are both arrogant, both are dumb.  Just don't go full retard into nihilism.

And no, I don't see many working hypotheses here, just people with answers ... with a few exceptions.  They believe the science they read, they aren't scientists themselves.  Like a peasant who can't read, telling the priest what is in the Bible (assuming the priest can read Latin).  This is a natural weakness of democracy.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Isn't that special?

Nah. See, the good stuff is evidence of God. The bad stuff is evidence of sin, for we live in a broken world...which God created.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 14, 2017, 02:01:06 PM
Aside from most of the nonsense, why "2500 years"?  That means something to you, doesn't it?

Maybe according to you, Adam and Eve were the first atheists ;-)  It was only priests who came on later, who screwed things up.

History is your friend, if you bother.  Look up historical atheism.  It dates to secular philosophy in Greece and India, about 2500 years ago.  Not special to me, just a fact.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 14, 2017, 07:38:55 PM
Nah. See, the good stuff is evidence of God. The bad stuff is evidence of sin, for we live in a broken world...which God created.

Did you forget the (sarc)?  The theology you are quoting is OT Jewish.  You are expropriating the memes of a minority, you meany!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Baruch on September 14, 2017, 07:41:21 PM
Did you forget the (sarc)?  The theology you are quoting is OT Jewish.  You are expropriating the memes of a minority, you meany!

Nah. I've heard people say such things many times in my years at church and religious gatherings. The two claims are rarely said at the same time, though, lest they bring attention to their cognitive dissonance.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 14, 2017, 07:52:54 PM
Nah. I've heard people say such things many times in my years at church and religious gatherings. The two claims are rarely said at the same time, though, lest they bring attention to their cognitive dissonance.

Well, just don't go LARPing around in a yarmulka ;-)  The Catholics might think you are a cardinal.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Isn't that special?
I thought tornadoes, earthquakes and hurricanes were Teh Gays fault.  Funny how the tornadoes and hurricanes never hit San Francisco, or the hurricanes and earthquakes never hit here.

Funny how they never think that they're a message from their god saying "Dumbass, why do you live in a tornado/earthquake/hurricane prone area?"
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan