News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Atheism Poll

Started by Drew_2017, September 09, 2017, 03:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drew_2017

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 09, 2017, 06:47:11 PM
I constantly marvel in awe that things like us can exist in such a universe as we seem to find ourselves in. None of us asked to be here, but here we are. None of us knows how or why, none of us know the rules,  but assuming that "God did it" pretty much puts a stop to further research, since we already know the answer - God did it. So we'll accept an answer that we cannot have confidence in because we have no reliable way to test the hypothesis. So we'll never come to an answer that we can have at least some confidence in. The scientific method isn't the best way to get reliable answers to our most fundamental questions - it's the only way.

If we were to find God did it as Isaac Newton believed we can only hope to make as many scientific discoveries as he did. What he wanted to know what was how God did it. I have no qualms with the scientific method, I believe it uncovers the truth regardless of where our bias lies.

QuoteSo, if you think there is/was/might-have-been/maybe such a creator God, tell us a bit about it - what is it like, how can you know anything at all about it? Does it communicate with humans? Does it wish to be worshiped? Can it cure my ignorance?

You'll have to consult your local churches or theologians for those answers.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
Albert Einstein

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jex6k2uvf9aljrq/theism.rtf?dl=0

Drew_2017

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 09, 2017, 07:35:26 PM
Which god? Just any god in general? If you give me a specific god, I'll tell you how likely I personally think it is that they exist. Zeus? As close to 0% as I can reasonably get. The Biblical gods? 0.5%. Some vaguely defined monotheist god? Maybe 10%. If the world around us is anything to go by, though, he's most likely not a benevolent one and not worthy of worship.

God defined as a transcendent being who caused the universe to exist.
Albert Einstein

Blackleaf

Quote from: Drew_2017 on September 09, 2017, 10:46:56 PM
God defined as a transcendent being who caused the universe to exist.

Transcendence is doubtful. I think it's more likely a god would be connected to and inseparable from the universe, like what Baruch perscribes to. I think it's possible a god exists in this universe, but I'm waiting to see the evidence.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Drew_2017

Quote from: aitm on September 09, 2017, 08:32:42 PM
I am 100% that there is no "god" as defined as the creator of the universe.

How certain are you that all we observe including our own existence could come about by some mindless mechanistic process that never intended to cause life or a create a habitable universe? I guess you have to be 100% confident or you couldn't be 100% confident a Creator wasn't involved in our existence or the universe. I can't fathom where this complete confidence comes from. Even though everything I can check tells me I'm sitting at my desk typing on a keyboard and responding to a post I can't be a 100% certain its not all an illusion. As is stands we really have very little facts about how the universe came into existence or why it has the properties to cause stars, planets and ultimately life. No one in here seems to deny there is much we don't know about how our existence came about. I conclude then that 100% confidence is 100% faith. 
Albert Einstein

Drew_2017

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 09, 2017, 08:47:35 PM
100% certain there are no god(s).

Can I safely assume you are making a claim you are prepared to back up (preferably with facts and data) and defend?
Albert Einstein

Mike Cl

Quote from: Drew_2017 on September 09, 2017, 11:28:43 PM
Can I safely assume you are making a claim you are prepared to back up (preferably with facts and data) and defend?
It's been done.  Read your own threads about it.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 09, 2017, 05:08:18 PM
Defining God as Creator of the universe doesn't define what God is, but what he does.

And G-d is a verb, not a noun.  I would contend that applies to all "persons".  Non-persons are what ... not who.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Drew_2017 on September 09, 2017, 10:08:03 PM
Judging from your disgusting analogy I don't think you're remotely interested in a genuine dialog. I know the favorite hobby horse of atheists is there is no evidence of a Creator (according to atheists of course). There is a thread in here called Goddidit VS Naturedidit you can read all about the case in favor of theism not that it will make any difference.

Don't take it so personal.  There is nothing more natural than crap.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

pr126

To me, the existence or the non-existence of god makes absolutely no difference.

I do believe though, that man created god in his own image.
For some, religion is a comfort blanket, to others, it is a lethal weapon.

Baruch

Quote from: pr126 on September 10, 2017, 01:20:13 AM
To me, the existence or the non-existence of god makes absolutely no difference.

I do believe though, that man created god in his own image.
For some, religion is a comfort blanket, to others, it is a lethal weapon.

Which makes people not just demigods, but uber-gods.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

pr126

Quote from: Baruch on September 10, 2017, 01:36:14 AM
Which makes people not just demigods, but uber-gods.
IVF , genetic manipulation, cloning, etc.

Baruch

Quote from: pr126 on September 10, 2017, 01:40:25 AM
IVF , genetic manipulation, cloning, etc.

Not gods of wisdom, but more like Loki.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Drew_2017 on September 09, 2017, 10:08:03 PM
Judging from your disgusting analogy I don't think you're remotely interested in a genuine dialog. I know the favorite hobby horse of atheists is there is no evidence of a Creator (according to atheists of course). There is a thread in here called Goddidit VS Naturedidit you can read all about the case in favor of theism not that it will make any difference.

The analogy serves to show The ridiculousness of your way of Looking at it, in my eyes. It's just an absurd scenario. And it's only poo. Get over yourself. Poo is funny. If i were to go vulgar, I'd find a much worse example, buddy.

In any case, if you don't want to keep getting 'atheism is a lack of a belief' thrown in your face around here, stop making threads showing us that we need to Explain it To you. It boils down to The same discussion there as it does here, because you don't seem to get that is effectively The point of view of most atheists and what it entails for discussion. You are a man who is repeating himself over and over again drew, and who then has The audacity to complain he gets the same arguments thrown back at him.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

SGOS

If you think the percentage of certainty has anything to do with atheism, you probably don't understand most atheists.  Percentages are useful in sliding scales, which lend themselves to percentages.  But atheism is not a sliding scale.  It's either on or off.  Saying that I am 98% certain that a god doesn't exist is not relevant to my belief.  Belief poses the simple question, "Do you believe?"  No need to make a Federal case out of it and no need for percentages.  It's a simple question that defines and separates theists from atheists.  The answer is:  Yes or No.

I couldn't identify my level of certainty about the existence of god, because I have no knowledge or evidence of a god to work with.

And to Drew, I suspect you hear a lot of positive assertions from people who would rather not make positive assertions about what cannot be known, but they do anyway because you set the bar of credibility so low with with your own positive assertions.  People say, "Well if Drew can pull thoughts out of his ass, I guess I can too," so you end up being contradicted by opposing beliefs that are as inane as your own.  And when reasoned arguments are given, you seem to filter them out, so all that you are aware of is bullshit, and then you become even more distracted and lost.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on September 10, 2017, 01:09:03 AM
And G-d is a verb, not a noun.  I would contend that applies to all "persons".  Non-persons are what ... not who.
Is Bugs Bunny a verb, too???  How about Pecos Bill--another verb?  So, according to your dictates then, god is a what, not a who.  A what?  A fiction, that's what.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?