News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Atheism Poll

Started by Drew_2017, September 09, 2017, 03:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: Drew_2017 on September 10, 2017, 11:05:42 AM
I hope those who claimed to have a 99% or a 100% certainty a Creator of the universe doesn't exist have more than a tepid lack of belief.
A tepid lack of belief; hmmm.  I don't think my lack of belief even reaches that high of a level of intensity.  Would it be more convincing if I had a rabid lack of belief?  I can do rabid.  Although, it would be kind of weird to get rabid about something you don't care if you have or not.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on September 10, 2017, 12:58:53 PM
Your presence on the Internet isn't you, it is a work of fiction.  Same as for all posters.  So are you saying you don't exist, or that you are cartoonish?
You postulate something--"Your presence on the Internet isn't you,..." .  I agree that it isn't the total essence of me.  And I can lie, so that that part is a fiction.  But my presence on the internet is an extension of me.  It is not generated by a robot.  It is possible to figure out where I'm posting from, track me down and physically find me.  Not so for your g-d or any god(s).  There is not a single solitary thing that can be used to trace back to god(s).  Nothing.  That is a huge difference.  I postulate from that that there are no god(s)--never were nor ever will be; hence they are all fictions and some cartoonish.

So, you postulate something about me, and then assume your postulation is true.  You then fly off on a tangent with you assumption--"So are you saying you don't exist,"--I've never said that.  "....or that you are cartoonish?"  I've not said that either, but I suppose that would be in the eye of the beholder.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

pr126

Who created the creator? And why?

Drew_2017

Quote from: Baruch on September 10, 2017, 12:58:53 PM

Drew ... you failed epistemology.  The others failed metaphysics.  The law court version of determining reality is ... political (cough).  They have added science to it, but it still isn't science.  A court determines guilt, not truth.  Elections are like a very big jury too.  Political ... to determine guilt.  Hillary was found guilty of failing the election, not guilty of failing any truth.  If elections were about truth (whatever that is) ... we would never be done arguing about the result of the election (cough).  Notice how ... politically, it is very necessary to hide the truth, during elections, and while governing.  Plato said ... the rulers are the only ones who should be allowed to lie.  People lie in court all the time .. or are simply mistaken.  Same as real life, not as in a rigorous laboratory.

A civil court doesn't attempt to find the truth, they attempt to determine who made the better case for what they think is true. Sometimes this results (per Mark Twain) in determining who hired the best lawyer. Barring conclusive evidence such as exists for a round earth this is our closest approximation. It just makes atheists look like a cult to say they are 99% sure no Creator exists.

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
Albert Einstein

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jex6k2uvf9aljrq/theism.rtf?dl=0

Mike Cl

Quote from: pr126 on September 10, 2017, 02:35:11 PM
Ah!  The Forever question.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Drew_2017

Quote from: SGOS on September 10, 2017, 02:33:25 PM
A tepid lack of belief; hmmm.  I don't think my lack of belief even reaches that high of a level of intensity.  Would it be more convincing if I had a rabid lack of belief?  I can do rabid.  Although, it would be kind of weird to get rabid about something you don't care if you have or not.

It should go from a lack of belief to disbelief is that such a far stretch for people who claim to be 99% sure? Do you lack belief in Santa Claus or disbelieve?
Albert Einstein

Mike Cl

Quote from: Drew_2017 on September 10, 2017, 10:13:43 AM
So you can be even more classless...good to know.
You wouldn't know class if it slapped you in the face.

Drew_2017

Quote from: pr126 on September 10, 2017, 02:35:11 PM

I don't know who or how or why the Creator was created any more than you know how or why mindless forces came into existence and caused a universe that supports life to exist. That doesn't stop you from believing what you believe does it?
Albert Einstein

SGOS

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 10, 2017, 02:35:03 PM
You postulate something--"Your presence on the Internet isn't you,..." .  I agree that it isn't the total essence of me.  And I can lie, so that that part is a fiction.  But my presence on the internet is an extension of me.  It is not generated by a robot.  It is possible to figure out where I'm posting from, track me down and physically find me.  Not so for your g-d or any god(s).  There is not a single solitary thing that can be used to trace back to god(s).  Nothing.  That is a huge difference.  I postulate from that that there are no god(s)--never were nor ever will be; hence they are all fictions and some cartoonish.

So, you postulate something about me, and then assume your postulation is true.  You then fly off on a tangent with you assumption--"So are you saying you don't exist,"--I've never said that.  "....or that you are cartoonish?"  I've not said that either, but I suppose that would be in the eye of the beholder.
My God, Man.  You are trying to respond to a post that makes no sense to anyone but the guy that posted it.  You know, it's not impolite to ignore posts like that.   :hammerhead:

SGOS

Quote from: Drew_2017 on September 10, 2017, 02:39:19 PM
Do you lack belief in Santa Claus or disbelieve?
Actually, I'm rather tepid about the whole thing.

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on September 10, 2017, 02:43:54 PM
My God, Man.  You are trying to respond to a post that makes no sense to anyone but the guy that posted it.  You know, it's not impolite to ignore posts like that.   :hammerhead:
:)))))!!

aitm

Quote from: Drew_2017 on September 10, 2017, 02:24:29 PM

The existence of the universe by itself is evidence it was caused unintentionally by natural forces or had been caused intentionally by a creator.

OR created accidentally. You keep leaving this out as if you think that there has never been anything created by accident, or by mistake or pure stupidity.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

sdelsolray

Quote from: aitm on September 10, 2017, 03:04:55 PM
OR created accidentally. You keep leaving this out as if you think that there has never been anything created by accident, or by mistake or pure stupidity.

...or has always existed requiring no creation at all.

aitm

Quote from: sdelsolray on September 10, 2017, 03:11:54 PM
...or has always existed requiring no creation at all.

he doesn't allow that as an option....except if it's a god of course.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Drew_2017

Quote from: aitm on September 10, 2017, 03:04:55 PM

The existence of the universe by itself is evidence it was caused unintentionally by natural forces or had been caused intentionally by a creator.

Goddamn son... unintentionally by naturalistic forces covers accidents, mistakes or stupidity.
Albert Einstein