News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Hurricane Irma

Started by Hydra009, September 06, 2017, 11:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on September 23, 2017, 08:53:00 AM
The temperature in most of the caves I've been in around here runs in the high 50s to low 60s. That's sweater weather for me. I imagine someplace like your buddy's mine in an area with a higher average annual surface temperature would probably be quite nice. Maybe in the upper 60s or even low 70s.
72 F., he says. I say "you have go outside sometime".

Meanwhile, he meets living expenses while adding rooms.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on September 23, 2017, 08:53:00 AM
The temperature in most of the caves I've been in around here runs in the high 50s to low 60s. That's sweater weather for me. I imagine someplace like your buddy's mine in an area with a higher average annual surface temperature would probably be quite nice. Maybe in the upper 60s or even low 70s.

My grampa had plans to build a hillside house.  I've thought of that myself.  Kind of hard to find hillsides around here though.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on September 23, 2017, 09:42:10 AM
My grampa had plans to build a hillside house.  I've thought of that myself.  Kind of hard to find hillsides around here though.
Make one. I've seen one where the basement and garage are above ground and the lawn slopes up to meet the house on three sides. The garage door is on the fourth side, and the basement has a glass wall that open out onto a patio and an "armored" room for tornado sheltering. The owner bought four adjacent lots to get it looking right. Very pretty. Cost a pretty penny. And the garage/basement has poured concrete walls with rebar, it will stand up to most anything.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 23, 2017, 10:22:08 AM
Make one. I've seen one where the basement and garage are above ground and the lawn slopes up to meet the house on three sides. The garage door is on the fourth side, and the basement has a glass wall that open out onto a patio and an "armored" room for tornado sheltering. The owner bought four adjacent lots to get it looking right. Very pretty. Cost a pretty penny. And the garage/basement has poured concrete walls with rebar, it will stand up to most anything.

Odd as it may seem, I contacted a realtor looking for a site of an acre or more, with a mostly below ground basement.  Closest I can get.  The water table is very high here.  Maybe I should pack up and really move to Kentucky.  I hear they have hills.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on September 23, 2017, 10:32:44 AM
Odd as it may seem, I contacted a realtor looking for a site of an acre or more, with a mostly below ground basement.  Closest I can get.  The water table is very high here.  Maybe I should pack up and really move to Kentucky.  I hear they have hills.
Come to Missouri. We have hills and we speak English-ish. I already have the hill picked out for my version of Bag End.
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on September 23, 2017, 10:32:44 AM
Back in the day, my grandparents moved north of Portland, Or.,  about 20 miles into the hills.  They had 10 acres with 3 springs on the property.  Mainly hilly, with a flat spot in the middle of the property.  That's where the house went.  In my dreams, I had a house dug out of a very steep hillside--it would have been one with the garage only above ground.  But that was a long time ago.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 23, 2017, 10:50:37 AM
Back in the day, my grandparents moved north of Portland, Or.,  about 20 miles into the hills.  They had 10 acres with 3 springs on the property.  Mainly hilly, with a flat spot in the middle of the property.  That's where the house went.  In my dreams, I had a house dug out of a very steep hillside--it would have been one with the garage only above ground.  But that was a long time ago.

Dreams unfulfilled, both of us...

Maybe I should find an off-beat builder.  I'm not dead yet!

trdsf

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 23, 2017, 08:09:39 AM
I have an internet friend who lives in an abandoned opal mine. He says the temperature is quite agreeable without any mechanical assistance. Considering that this is Australia and the surface temp is routinely in triple digits I wonder if he's relativizing on me.
I think just the idea of living in an abandoned opal mine sounds fascinating.  Except I'd always be poking at the walls to see if they missed any.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: trdsf on September 23, 2017, 12:17:35 PM
I think just the idea of living in an abandoned opal mine sounds fascinating.  Except I'd always be poking at the walls to see if they missed any.
Tell me about it. He is smarter than me, luckily for him. He drove spikes through the walls the length an mining engineer had given him as the minimum thickness needed for support in his little mine. Gives him a reference point for the "no more chipping" limit. And, as I mentioned, he adds rooms. It seems the mine wasn't played out, it just wasn't an economical project for the hardcore miners. He has found opals up to 100 carats.
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on September 23, 2017, 12:17:35 PM

Well, a quick info search says there is usually nothing else valuable around opal, so poke away but don't bring down the house.  Er mine...

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 23, 2017, 08:09:39 AM
I have an internet friend who lives in an abandoned opal mine. He says the temperature is quite agreeable without any mechanical assistance. Considering that this is Australia and the surface temp is routinely in triple digits I wonder if he's relativizing on me.

I saw a NG article on Coober Pedy once.  Looked very interesting, but you have to go in/out thru a vertical shaft.  I wouldn't do that anymore.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 23, 2017, 05:58:13 PM
I saw a NG article on Coober Pedy once.  Looked very interesting, but you have to go in/out thru a vertical shaft.  I wouldn't do that anymore.

I live in a house with many windows.  I spent time near them when inside and a lot of time outside.  At night, I sleep in a large room in a large bed but in blackout conditions.  Go figure.  An in-cave house would have to be LARGE with lots of lights.