What date do you estimate atheism will overtake theism in the world population

Started by Coveny, September 07, 2017, 10:35:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Yes, apparently good graphics were too expensive for DeGrasse's project.  Also they were chosen to dumb down to the perceived audience, assumed to be less intelligent than in the 70s.

Dr Tyson happens to be wrong outside of his domain of expertise ... but I don't hold that against him.  I match your Tyson and raise you a Morgan Freeman.  Don't temp me to bring out my MLK card!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 08, 2017, 10:18:12 AM
The four-letter Myers Briggs personality types that I assume you're refering to are not exactly scientifically sound. They oversimplify personalities, but many continue to use them anyway. I haven't seen any research to suggest any one type gravitates to atheism.

If I recall correctly, I was an IJTM (ISTJ?) or the one that was relentlessly logical (and not to make a joke of it Spocklke).  I was as a child and am as an adult.

The opposites of me on the chart were ALWAYS very religious.  I think there is a connection.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 14, 2017, 01:25:54 PM
If I recall correctly, I was an IJTM (ISTJ?) or the one that was relentlessly logical (and not to make a joke of it Spocklke).  I was as a child and am as an adult.

The opposites of me on the chart were ALWAYS very religious.  I think there is a connection.

I agree.  With Blackleaf, the perfect drives out the practical.  I seem to be mostly the same now as in the past, but I shifted one out of 4 letters, maybe.  Less logical, more intuitive.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Coveny

Myers Briggs personality types are not scientific, accurate, or any more useful than a horoscope...

Try the big five - http://www.outofservice.com/bigfive/

Or this less accepted Hexaco - http://hexaco.org/hexaco-online
http://fordebating.com is now in beta.

We have 1v1 and 2v2 debates 2-6 round debates others vote on and will have up to 16-man tourneys working soon.

Cavebear

Quote from: Coveny on September 14, 2017, 02:03:25 PM
Myers Briggs personality types are not scientific, accurate, or any more useful than a horoscope...

Try the big five - http://www.outofservice.com/bigfive/

Or this less accepted Hexaco - http://hexaco.org/hexaco-online

I found the Myers Briggs to be pretty accurate among my coworkers.  The ones I agreed with daily were the same types as me.  The ones I least agreed with there the opposites in all letters.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Coveny on September 14, 2017, 07:50:39 AM
Neil DeGrasse Tyson - "If that's how you want to invoke your evidence for god, then god is an ever-receding pocket of scientific ignorance."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HooeZrC76s0

Science is in the process of killing the whole idea of God. How many gaps have to be filled before the God delusion finally peters out for lack of hiding places for an invisible fiction?

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 14, 2017, 03:28:24 PM

Science is in the process of killing the whole idea of God. How many gaps have to be filled before the God delusion finally peters out for lack of hiding places for an invisible fiction?

There will always be a "last gap" but that isn't important.  The important thing is that we are finding the edges to the puzzle and that helps us figure out the rest.

SGOS

Considering how much mileage some theists make out of first cause of creation thing, it seems like that one gap is all that is needed to demand a god.  Think Drew; "Existence, therefore God."

Unbeliever

That final gap will eventually be closed up, but I bet they'll find some other "mystery" to harp on.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

No, science, unfortunately, is the process of killing the whole idea of humanity, to satisfy smug autistic geniuses.  Think of Caligula, only smarter.  Musk and Zuckerberg come to mind.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Baruch on September 14, 2017, 07:47:17 PM
No, science, unfortunately, is the process of killing the whole idea of humanity, to satisfy smug autistic geniuses.  Think of Caligula, only smarter.  Musk and Zuckerberg come to mind.

I doubt you'll believe that next time you need a doctor.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 14, 2017, 07:55:25 PM
I doubt you'll believe that next time you need a doctor.

Musk and Zuckerberg aren't doctors.  My doctor is doing her best to kill me (see stats on how many people doctors kill).  It was a saying in ancient times, that doctors bury their mistakes.  My dental hygienist is a sadist though ... has arms like a linebacker!

The medical community isn't there to cure you, they are there to sell the drugs that are pushed on them by drug salesmen.  Legal form of drug pushing.  The usual situation is ... the cure is as bad as the disease (but not usually worse).  Think of the first treatment for syphilis.  Mercury salts.  If the syphilis didn't kill you first, the medicine would ... but usually the medicine killed you slower.  Death is man's fate ... stop trying to live forever.  Who do you think you are, Elon Musk?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 14, 2017, 08:15:45 PM
Musk and Zuckerberg aren't doctors.  My doctor is doing her best to kill me (see stats on how many people doctors kill).  It was a saying in ancient times, that doctors bury their mistakes.  My dental hygienist is a sadist though ... has arms like a linebacker!

The medical community isn't there to cure you, they are there to sell the drugs that are pushed on them by drug salesmen.  Legal form of drug pushing.  The usual situation is ... the cure is as bad as the disease (but not usually worse).  Think of the first treatment for syphilis.  Mercury salts.  If the syphilis didn't kill you first, the medicine would ... but usually the medicine killed you slower.  Death is man's fate ... stop trying to live forever.  Who do you think you are, Elon Musk?

Do tell how many people doctors kill than save.  I would love to see the numbers.  But you won't provide the numbers because they save a lot more than are killed through error.

And I mean currently, not some time in the past where they knew less.

Coveny

Quote from: Cavebear on September 19, 2017, 06:06:08 AM
Do tell how many people doctors kill than save.  I would love to see the numbers. 
Martin Makary from the Johns Hopkins university school of medicine research found it was the third leading cause of death in the U.S.

http://www.bmj.com/content/353/bmj.i2139

I'm not sure how you could find a list of people "saved". It's similar to trying to find a list of mass murders stopped because someone was carrying. It's very difficult to both decide there would have been death, and that it was saved objectively and with a consensus.
http://fordebating.com is now in beta.

We have 1v1 and 2v2 debates 2-6 round debates others vote on and will have up to 16-man tourneys working soon.

Cavebear

Quote from: Coveny on September 19, 2017, 09:56:15 AM
Martin Makary from the Johns Hopkins university school of medicine research found it was the third leading cause of death in the U.S.

http://www.bmj.com/content/353/bmj.i2139

I'm not sure how you could find a list of people "saved". It's similar to trying to find a list of mass murders stopped because someone was carrying. It's very difficult to both decide there would have been death, and that it was saved objectively and with a consensus.

So you are suggesting we should shut down all the hospitals?  As that is ridiculous, so are the lethality claims.  They measure specific problems not applicble to the whole situation.