What date do you estimate atheism will overtake theism in the world population

Started by Coveny, September 07, 2017, 10:35:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

Quote from: Baruch on September 12, 2017, 12:04:47 AM
Personality types aren't directly inheritable either, though children either conform to their parents or invert them.  People are more complicated than Mendel's peas.  I was adopted, and my social ability to conform makes me  a cross between my adoptive parents, not my natural ones.  Blackleaf wants to claim that one can't characterize personality (happy, sad etc) .. because it isn't quantitative, like surveying ... personality tests being so much less objective.  But he doesn't claim to have anything better.

Happy and sad are not personalities; they are emotions.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Coveny

http://fordebating.com is now in beta.

We have 1v1 and 2v2 debates 2-6 round debates others vote on and will have up to 16-man tourneys working soon.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Coveny on September 12, 2017, 08:35:59 AM
**Going off topic sorry**
Anyone who believes they are free just try doing something with no money. I learned my lesson when the housing bubble burst and financially had the worst time of my life. We are slaves to the money/job until be gain our financial freedom, and the ruling elite want us to spend time worrying about the "others" rather than worrying about the people who cause the problems. Because let me assure you blacks, women, LGBT, mexicans, muslims, or whatever this weeks escape goat is, wasn't the ones who have gotten richer and richer while we fight each other over what is left...

Inflation is outrunning the minimum wage and Republicans see no problem with this. A few decades ago, you could work a minimum wage job, pay for college, and pay for food and rent. When you adjust for inflation, the minimum wage in 1968 was about $11.39. There is absolutely no evidence that raising the minimum wage causes inflation. All it does is force greedy companies to pay their workers a wage they can live off of.
--Fulke Greville--

AllPurposeAtheist

All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 12, 2017, 10:42:06 AM
Happy and sad are not personalities; they are emotions.

Optimist vs Pessimist?  Or are you just happy or sad ;-)  I suspect your Emotion Quotient needs boosting.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Coveny on September 12, 2017, 08:35:59 AM
**Going off topic sorry**
Anyone who believes they are free just try doing something with no money. I learned my lesson when the housing bubble burst and financially had the worst time of my life. We are slaves to the money/job until be gain our financial freedom, and the ruling elite want us to spend time worrying about the "others" rather than worrying about the people who cause the problems. Because let me assure you blacks, women, LGBT, mexicans, muslims, or whatever this weeks escape goat is, wasn't the ones who have gotten richer and richer while we fight each other over what is left...

Sorry you had to find that out the hard way.  The modern world is simply the Medieval world of ... royalty, nobility, clergy, military, guild craftsmen and peasants (levels I thru VI)... with better technology.  One of the best con jobs of all time, after the Bible ;-)

Put yourself in the place of the royalty and the nobility ... they are just trying obsessive/compulsive grow their estate beyond all reason, and avoid Paris, 1788.  Because that leads to Paris, 1792.  If I had inherited wealth, didn't have to work for a living, but felt that the working folks owed my their obedience in return for my philanthropy (known as patronage in old Rome) ... I don't know what I would do ... probably be an ass like the way I think those folks are.  Fortunately I was saved by having to work for a living (at level III, IV and V).  Never been a farmer, ... or upper class, missed it by this ... much.  My great grandparents were farmers though.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Baruch on September 12, 2017, 12:58:32 PM
Optimist vs Pessimist?  Or are you just happy or sad ;-)  I suspect your Emotion Quotient needs boosting.

You didn't say anything about optimism or pessimism. You said happy and sad. Both pessimists and optimists can be happy or sad, depending on the circumstances and their current mood. Optimism and pessimism are about expectations for the future, and are probably learned behaviors. Pessimism in particular might be a form of learned helplessness. People also seem to have different thresholds for what they can tolerate, so two people in similar situations may have completely different reactions to stress. While one may break, the other might be perfectly fine. This isn't optimism vs pessimism either, because some pessimists may actually have a numbness that allows them to better cope with stress.
--Fulke Greville--

PickelledEggs

Quote from: SoldierofFortune on September 11, 2017, 05:10:49 PM
It will be when the people who orders the world want...
Religions are useful tools to them...
I disagree that it will go away simply because the people in charge want it to be there. The "people in charge" know that humans more times than not "need" religion or feel a desire to believe in something greater for comfort or whatever reason. This is deeper than "the people in charge want it so"

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 12, 2017, 02:04:43 PM
You didn't say anything about optimism or pessimism. You said happy and sad. Both pessimists and optimists can be happy or sad, depending on the circumstances and their current mood. Optimism and pessimism are about expectations for the future, and are probably learned behaviors. Pessimism in particular might be a form of learned helplessness. People also seem to have different thresholds for what they can tolerate, so two people in similar situations may have completely different reactions to stress. While one may break, the other might be perfectly fine. This isn't optimism vs pessimism either, because some pessimists may actually have a numbness that allows them to better cope with stress.

Usually emotions are considered a part of psychology too, not just LARPing as Spock.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Baruch on September 12, 2017, 07:09:08 PM
Usually emotions are considered a part of psychology too, not just LARPing as Spock.

Yes, emotions are a part of psychology. But emotions are separate from personality, which was the topic. If someone asked you to describe your personality, would you tell them, "I just learned that my brother died, so I'm sad?" If so, don't be surprised if they back away slowly and suddenly remember a thing they have to do.
--Fulke Greville--

aitm

A mere twenty years ago I would have said in 30 years atheism would comprise 30% of the pop. But, alas, science and education, although the front runners in the atheist movement cannot compete equally with fear. After 9-11 religion took a boost as patriotism wrapped itself in the babble and vice versa, and now after we had the audacity to elect a black person, racism wrapped in patriotism, standing on the babble has boosted the ignorant to record numbers.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 11, 2017, 11:27:40 PM
That's basically my impression.  Just compare religious norms throughout recent history and it's obvious that a lot of things have changed.  Stuff like witches and magic are taken much less seriously now.  Fundies still exist of course, but they're less and less mainstream.  Meanwhile, atheism has gone from being a criminal charge to a small group of people to a mainstream public opinion, at least in the West.

There's every reason to believe that in time, theism may die out, much the same way that belief in faeries and ghosts have largely died out.  While it is true that people will still seek meaning and jump to irrational explanations for the unknown, religion may no longer have as tight a grip on that market as it once did.

That sure agrees with MY thoughts.  Superstitions die slowly as science explains the things religion is based on.  Like defining a circle with smaller external and enlarging internal polygons, religion is slowly being smothered by fact.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Coveny

Neil DeGrasse Tyson - "If that's how you want to invoke your evidence for god, then god is an ever-receding pocket of scientific ignorance."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HooeZrC76s0
http://fordebating.com is now in beta.

We have 1v1 and 2v2 debates 2-6 round debates others vote on and will have up to 16-man tourneys working soon.

Cavebear

Quote from: Coveny on September 14, 2017, 07:50:39 AM
Neil DeGrasse Tyson - "If that's how you want to invoke your evidence for god, then god is an ever-receding pocket of scientific ignorance."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HooeZrC76s0
Love him.  The first time I ever heard him speak, I said, He's the new "Carl Sagan".  And that was before the Cosmos remake.  Great Neil, terrible graphics, BTW...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!