What date do you estimate atheism will overtake theism in the world population

Started by Coveny, September 07, 2017, 10:35:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on September 11, 2017, 12:22:43 AM
I expected that (really), and no insult meant at all saying that.  But if we could get theism down to the flat-earther level, that would be a great benefit to all humanity.  Pretty much laughed at and little attention paid.
True.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Coveny on September 10, 2017, 02:35:54 PM
As it stands now it's 1 that it will happen at some point and 9 that it won't. I believe it will, as atheism is in it's infancy, and the more globalized the world becomes the less it's possible to isolate and indoctrinate children before they hear about and experience opposing viewpoints.
In order to understand that it wont, you must understand human psychology. A very basic understanding will tell you that things like trauma, stress, and hardship, will harbor a need for believing in something "greater" and since something as common as a loved one dying can fling people in to despair, remorse, and depression is something that will never go away... the belief in afterlife and all the fringe beliefs that come with it, will also never go away.

Some people do not have the strength to not reject reality when it stomps on their heart, throws sand in their eyes, and spits in their face. If you think about it, it can be seen as an evolutionary survival mechanism

Cavebear

Quote from: PickelledEggs on September 11, 2017, 05:02:14 PM
In order to understand that it wont, you must understand human psychology. A very basic understanding will tell you that things like trauma, stress, and hardship, will harbor a need for believing in something "greater" and since something as common as a loved one dying can fling people in to despair, remorse, and depression is something that will never go away... the belief in afterlife and all the fringe beliefs that come with it, will also never go away.

Some people do not have the strength to not reject reality when it stomps on their heart, throws sand in their eyes, and spits in their face. If you think about it, it can be seen as an evolutionary survival mechanism

Yet flat earthers ARE considered idiots now and they weren't 400 years ago.   It will happen to theism some day...

SoldierofFortune

It will be when the people who orders the world want...
Religions are useful tools to them...

Cavebear

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 08, 2017, 10:18:12 AM
The four-letter Myers Briggs personality types that I assume you're refering to are not exactly scientifically sound. They oversimplify personalities, but many continue to use them anyway. I haven't seen any research to suggest any one type gravitates to atheism.

My parents were not atheists.   

Coveny

Quote from: SoldierofFortune on September 11, 2017, 05:10:49 PM
It will be when the people who orders the world want...
Religions are useful tools to them...

I wish I could disagree with THAT statement. :(
http://fordebating.com is now in beta.

We have 1v1 and 2v2 debates 2-6 round debates others vote on and will have up to 16-man tourneys working soon.

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on September 11, 2017, 05:08:15 PM
Yet flat earthers ARE considered idiots now and they weren't 400 years ago.   It will happen to theism some day...
That's basically my impression.  Just compare religious norms throughout recent history and it's obvious that a lot of things have changed.  Stuff like witches and magic are taken much less seriously now.  Fundies still exist of course, but they're less and less mainstream.  Meanwhile, atheism has gone from being a criminal charge to a small group of people to a mainstream public opinion, at least in the West.

There's every reason to believe that in time, theism may die out, much the same way that belief in faeries and ghosts have largely died out.  While it is true that people will still seek meaning and jump to irrational explanations for the unknown, religion may no longer have as tight a grip on that market as it once did.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 11, 2017, 05:14:10 PM
My parents were not atheists.

Personality types aren't directly inheritable either, though children either conform to their parents or invert them.  People are more complicated than Mendel's peas.  I was adopted, and my social ability to conform makes me  a cross between my adoptive parents, not my natural ones.  Blackleaf wants to claim that one can't characterize personality (happy, sad etc) .. because it isn't quantitative, like surveying ... personality tests being so much less objective.  But he doesn't claim to have anything better.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Coveny on September 11, 2017, 10:49:37 PM
I wish I could disagree with THAT statement. :(

As a slave, you will do as your masters command.  All us slaves do ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 11, 2017, 02:08:36 AM
It is possible that both ants and cows think they are the epitome of evolution.

You are quoting the famous monotheist ... Xenophanes, who was a monotheist 600 years before Jesus.  If cows could draw, they would show that they believe in cow-morphism.  And if I were a cow, so would I.  But I am not.  All of my gods are monkeys, like Hanuman.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

fencerider

do your gods throw poo? Do you throw yours back?

atheists can take over after we get the Christians and the Muslims fighting with each other and stack the deck. If that doesn't work we will just have to rely on the TV to reveal how phony individual groups are: like Joel Osteen, Benny Hinn, TBN. There are already a lot of Americans that say they are Christian if you ask them, but you never catch them praying and they only show up in church on special occassions. The fact that god is AWOL isn't lost on them.
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Coveny

Quote from: Baruch on September 12, 2017, 12:06:42 AM
As a slave, you will do as your masters command.  All us slaves do ;-)

**Going off topic sorry**
Anyone who believes they are free just try doing something with no money. I learned my lesson when the housing bubble burst and financially had the worst time of my life. We are slaves to the money/job until be gain our financial freedom, and the ruling elite want us to spend time worrying about the "others" rather than worrying about the people who cause the problems. Because let me assure you blacks, women, LGBT, mexicans, muslims, or whatever this weeks escape goat is, wasn't the ones who have gotten richer and richer while we fight each other over what is left...
http://fordebating.com is now in beta.

We have 1v1 and 2v2 debates 2-6 round debates others vote on and will have up to 16-man tourneys working soon.

Mike Cl

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?