Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Hurricane Irma

Started by Hydra009, September 06, 2017, 11:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 11, 2017, 03:18:44 PM
They oughta be keel-hauled!

Yar, the barnacle scraping be a good lesson, har...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Unbeliever

Barnacles work even better than a loofah!

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 11, 2017, 04:25:38 PM
Barnacles work even better than a loofah!

That's why the ship's barnacles are a dreadful punishment, seldom survived.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Munch

Sea giants up ended sailing ships to use the underside to scratch their taint
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on September 12, 2017, 03:58:56 AM
Sea giants up ended sailing ships to use the underside to scratch their taint

What's a Kraken to do, when you got an itch?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

It seems like an execution rather than a punishment.  The captain says to the Inquiry, "His punishment for stealing pudding was keel hauling, but he died before the punishment was fully carried out."  It's rather similar to, "His sentence was to be shot in the head, not executed, but he died anyway."

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on September 11, 2017, 12:45:44 PM
There are posts many readers probably skim through.  I didn't.  It was great!

I'm the blue water type.  But Grandad had a lobster boat off NH and we went on it a few times.  Every threw up but me.  I loved it.

If push comes to shove, I hope we meet.  I'm pretty much not stupid on a boat.  LOL!

Well, we might some day.  Who knows.  I no longer own a boat.  Those days are behind me.

Incidentally, on the leg to Alaska, in addition to a sailing buddy from Seattle, I will confess that we also had on board a delightful pair of great boobies.

[spoiler]

I was told these are black footed boobies, maybe blue footed boobies.  I'm not a birder.  They caught a ride with us for most of a day when we were motoring in a 5 day calm 200 miles out of Hawaii.  They just sat on the bow pulpit taking it easy like they did this sort of thing all the time.  I never went up to the bow while they were there.  I shot this from the cockpit with a telephoto and then cropped it even smaller so as not to scare them off.  [/spoiler]

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on September 12, 2017, 07:49:16 AM
It seems like an execution rather than a punishment.  The captain says to the Inquiry, "His punishment for stealing pudding was keel hauling, but he died before the punishment was fully carried out."  It's rather similar to, "His sentence was to be shot in the head, not executed, but he died anyway."

Maybe the 80 strokes from the cat, is what did him in, even before they put him in the water.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Cavebear on September 11, 2017, 05:20:15 PM
That's why the ship's barnacles are a dreadful punishment, seldom survived.
Imagine how it makes the barnacles feel!
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 12, 2017, 01:46:48 PM
Imagine how it makes the barnacles feel!
Gooey sailor stuck in their feeding orifices. YUCK!
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

fencerider

never thought about the barnacles. I always thought a keel-haul was a good way to get drowned.

Never had a boat neither. Closest I get is looking at woodenboat.com or sailing.com and pick out which one I'm gonna buy when I got the money. for example:

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1902/Townsend-And-Downey--2870008/Spain#.Wbh7RUFlCEc

gonna be a while before I got the money for that one
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

SGOS

Quote from: fencerider on September 12, 2017, 08:29:08 PM
never thought about the barnacles. I always thought a keel-haul was a good way to get drowned.

Never had a boat neither. Closest I get is looking at woodenboat.com or sailing.com and pick out which one I'm gonna buy when I got the money. for example:

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1902/Townsend-And-Downey--2870008/Spain#.Wbh7RUFlCEc

gonna be a while before I got the money for that one

Yeah, the Townsend and Downey ought to get you where you want to go.  But no matter how big the boat, there will always be another one that dwarfs it so you can never get too big for your britches.

I used yachtworld.com in my boat search too, which actually took me to Rhode Island on the East Coast to California and Washington State on the West Coast.  It took a few months, and a couple of offers that wouldn't fly ending up in San Pedro, California for a final inspection of the hull before the actual purchase of this one:

PopeyesPappy

Just made it back from Kwaj yesterday afternoon.

Has @aitm checked in lately? He is in Melbourn, and I'm wondering how he fared.

My brother is headed back home to Melbourn this afternoon. His neighbor sent him some pictures of his house there. He is going to need a new roof.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Gawdzilla Sama

How much history do they have on Kwajalein? Just wondering.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 13, 2017, 09:10:18 AM
How much history do they have on Kwajalein? Just wondering.

Enough for the army to pay KRS to keep a full-time archaeologist on the island. I was pretty busy while I was and didn't get to see a lot including taking the WWII tour, but a lot of the buildings have display cases with war related artifacts on display. WWII wreck diving is a thing there too.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.