News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Hurricane Irma

Started by Hydra009, September 06, 2017, 11:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

Rush Limbaugh has assured us all that it's essentially just fake news intended to drive up the price of bottled water to fund the election efforts of Democrats.
Well that certainly eases my mind so therefore I think I'll just go live on a beach in Key West in the next few days.
He did, however evacuate from his humble broadcasting fortress in Florida, but only because bottled water got too expensive.   
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: The Skeletal Atheist on September 08, 2017, 06:26:02 PM
Actually yes. While everything is going on of course I won't be able to work, but afterwards I expect a lot of business for anyone involved in construction. Of course, looking at a natural disaster that will displace and/or kill thousands as a business opportunity is sickening, but it's true.
I've always said that if you want to be a job creator just throw your trash out on the streets so others can be employed to pick up the trash.
By the way, has anyone noticed the lack of coverage of the damage this hurricane is causing to Cuba as if Cuba and its residents don't count at all?
I'm really hoping that we've dodged the bullet here in South Carolina. I suspect we'll get a shitload of rain here in the greater Columbia area, but if the forecasts are right we'll avoid the brunt of the wind coming our way. We're roughly about 80 miles east from the Georgia border  ..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Gawdzilla Sama

Not seeing coverage doesn't mean coverage doesn't exist.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Florida man plans to "shoot down" hurricane

What's better than 150+ mph winds?  150+ mph winds with bullets!

Also, I'd love for someone to crunch the numbers for this and find out how much firing a colt 45 would affect a hurricane.

Imo, this is like pissing on a forest fire.  So ineffective that it's not even worth considering while incredibly dangerous at the same time.

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 09, 2017, 10:21:55 AM
Brilliant!  Absolutely brilliant!  It's about time we stop taking this kind of shit.  Florida leads the nation in taking action.  In days of old, American sailors would climb the mast during storms and curse God.  That's what made us a great nation, and it's time we take America back.

Baruch

Irma is weakening ... and the eye seems to prefer Havana to Miami for now.  And yes, Cuba doesn't count for much, never has.  Notice the poster didn't say ... why won't anyone say anything about the damage in Puerto Rico ... wonder why, comrade?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 09, 2017, 10:21:55 AM

What's better than 150+ mph winds?  150+ mph winds with bullets!

Also, I'd love for someone to crunch the numbers for this and find out how much firing a colt 45 would affect a hurricane.

Imo, this is like pissing on a forest fire.  So ineffective that it's not even worth considering while incredibly dangerous at the same time.
A .45 might knock a man down.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

A butterfly could flap his wings in the Orient that leads to a hurricane in Florida.  Now, just imagine a Colt 45.  It's called the Colt 45 Effect, and that's what we use here in America on butterflies.

Gawdzilla Sama

A present for Rush when this is over:

PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 09, 2017, 12:24:08 PM
A present for Rush when this is over:

Does he really deserve 'organic'??????
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on September 09, 2017, 12:14:20 PMA butterfly could flap his wings in the Orient that leads to a hurricane in Florida.
I know you're not being completely serious here but people tend to take this maxim literally, overstating its effects.  Initial conditions do play a role, of course.  But what's far more important is the process that creates these catastrophes.  We could smother any hurricane in the crib if we had the power to interrupt the process by which small tropical storms become giant hurricanes.

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 09, 2017, 01:03:58 PM
I know you're not being completely serious here but people tend to take this maxim literally, overstating its effects.
But just imagine if everyone in America shot their guns at exactly the same second.  And you are correct.  I'm not being completely serious.  I'm not even being just a little serious.  I just like saying silly things.

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on September 09, 2017, 02:41:47 PM
But just imagine if everyone in America shot their guns at exactly the same second.  And you are correct.  I'm not being completely serious.  I'm not even being just a little serious.  I just like saying silly things.
Hell, SGOS--I think you should print t-shirts!!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Unbeliever

Quote from: SGOS on September 09, 2017, 02:41:47 PM
If they were to shoot them at once all in the same direction, could they change the rate of spin of the planet?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Shiranu

Quote from: Baruch on September 09, 2017, 10:40:14 AM
Irma is weakening ... and the eye seems to prefer Havana to Miami for now.  And yes, Cuba doesn't count for much, never has.  Notice the poster didn't say ... why won't anyone say anything about the damage in Puerto Rico ... wonder why, comrade?

Not according to any news I've seen... yes, it will weaken as it skims over Cuba, but then once it hits the warm gulf waters it will pick up intensity once again... and if it stays over the gulf until it hits mid-Florida or even the Panhandle, it can potentially become quite powerful again. That's not even anything to do with journalism, that is entry level meteorology.

It might have been better if it had hit Miami, because by hitting Havana and now moving up towards Tampa, it's going to hit more populated regions in Florida at full strength.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur