News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Hurricane Irma

Started by Hydra009, September 06, 2017, 11:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pr126

'This Is The Reward Of Your Crimes Against Muslims'
QuoteJust as ISIS supporters celebrated the destruction that Hurricane Harvey unleashed on Houston, pro-ISIS users on social media are engaging in similar rhetoric about Hurricane Irma and are eagerly awaiting the destruction that it is likely to cause. Weather models are predicting that Hurricane Irma, a fierce Category 5 hurricane that has already battered parts of the Caribbean, will make landfall in Florida on September 9, 2017. Several ISIS supporters suggested that the hurricane is divine retribution for U.S.-led airstrikes that target the Islamic State.

Feel the love from the religion of peace.

Yeah, I know. #NOTALLMUSLIMS.

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on September 07, 2017, 10:10:52 AM

I'm with you on THAT!  You can't stop religious lunatics from seeing random disasters (literally, bad stars) from having local meanings.  Any bets that they blame themselves for the next earthquake?  Oh wait, they might...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: pr126 on September 07, 2017, 10:10:52 AM

Yeah, I know. #NOTALLMUSLIMS.

Ever wonder why no Good and True Christian has prayed for an end to hurricane destruction?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 07, 2017, 07:52:02 AM
Is it Irmageddon yet?
If Jesus comes back in those clouds, he'll be blown away!
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

Quote from: Cavebear on September 07, 2017, 07:52:30 AM
Some family fled the Keys already.  But they may have left the frying pan for the fire.  Ok, rain and winds...
Yeah, I heard winds over 200 miles per hour! Devastation will be vast, and so soon after Harvey. Then there's Jose coming next.

Is this the new normal? Or will there ever again even be such a thing as "normal"?
God Not Found

Unbeliever

I just found this, if anyone was curious about the names of hurricanes:

God Not Found

Gawdzilla Sama

Which hurricane on that list is most likely to hit Houston next?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 07, 2017, 01:27:36 PM
will there ever again even be such a thing as "normal"?
I would think so eventually.  I don't know when, but I don't think it will be a "good normal" by today's standards.  My guess is that this is the early stage of global warming, although it may be a normal abnormality too.  Scientists have been mostly quiet about making that claim as of yet.  They don't tend to be as bad as religious fanatics that jump to conclusions from every confirmation bias that comes down the pike.  Although as I heard one scientist on NPR say, these types of incidents are predicted in global warming.  They are coming. Is this pattern part of it, or only an abnormality that gives us a picture of what the new normal will be like?   

I talked to a guy that worked at sea for the Canadian oceanographic agency, whatever it's called.  He traveled all over the world taking different kinds of measurements on a scientific ship of some kind.   Of course his interest in warming was the effect on the oceans, but after talking to him I came away with the impression than change in the oceans is the biggest factor in warming.  When the currents we accept as normal change, it changes the conditions of the entire planet.  And they most certainly include fiercer hurricanes and longer hurricane seasons among the global warming predictions.

I think I have lived in the best of times, at least for humans.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 07, 2017, 01:42:24 PM
Which hurricane on that list is most likely to hit Houston next?
I don't know, those things are pretty much unpredictable. Impossible to second guess.
God Not Found

Unbeliever

Quote from: SGOS on September 07, 2017, 01:56:43 PM
Interesting you'd say that. I've been thinking the same thing for a while. I was born in '56 and I'll be gone back to oblivion before too much longer - before things get really, horribly worse than they have been. I've lived right through a sweet spot in American history.

I guess I'm considered a Baby Boomer, but a late one. I'm glad I'm not a youngster, I'd have to be much more worried than I am.
God Not Found

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on September 07, 2017, 01:56:43 PM
I would think so eventually.  I don't know when, but I don't think it will be a "good normal" by today's standards.  My guess is that this is the early stage of global warming, although it may be a normal abnormality too.  Scientists have been mostly quiet about making that claim as of yet.  They don't tend to be as bad as religious fanatics that jump to conclusions from every confirmation bias that comes down the pike.  Although as I heard one scientist on NPR say, these types of incidents are predicted in global warming.  They are coming. Is this pattern part of it, or only an abnormality that gives us a picture of what the new normal will be like?   

I talked to a guy that worked at sea for the Canadian oceanographic agency, whatever it's called.  He traveled all over the world taking different kinds of measurements on a scientific ship of some kind.   Of course his interest in warming was the effect on the oceans, but after talking to him I came away with the impression than change in the oceans is the biggest factor in warming.  When the currents we accept as normal change, it changes the conditions of the entire planet.  And they most certainly include fiercer hurricanes and longer hurricane seasons among the global warming predictions.

Possibly.  Compared to the past, weather is likely to get both less predictable and fiercer.  Part of that is that warmer water expands, so coastal problems will get worse.  Another part is that warmer water leads to more moisture in the atmosphere leading to more rain.  Part is that more water in the atmosphere leads to the planets retaining more heat.  It's a self-feeding cycle. 

Then add to that the melting of the polar ice caps, more water and more evaporation. 

AND the more exposed water (which absorbs more sunlight) retains more sunlight heat (sunlight enters at one energy level and reflects out at a lover one) so the lower reflectivity of non-ice ocean means more retained heat.

Etc, etc, etc.  Al was right.

I'm 67 and figure another 20 years maybe, I can cope.  And I'm about 100 feet above sealevel.  I think I might buy a good boat though.

Munch

Well stay safe. I wonder given hot spots in some regions of the world why underground bunkers aren't more a thing to escape to, something every town should have for such emergencies
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on September 07, 2017, 03:12:18 PM
Well stay safe. I wonder given hot spots in some regions of the world why underground bunkers aren't more a thing to escape to, something every town should have for such emergencies

Underground bunkers.  Floods.  Bad combo.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Cavebear on September 07, 2017, 03:15:45 PM
Underground bunkers.  Floods.  Bad combo.
That reminds me of the Silo Series. That was a scary read!
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 07, 2017, 01:27:36 PM
Yeah, I heard winds over 200 miles per hour! Devastation will be vast, and so soon after Harvey. Then there's Jose coming next.

Is this the new normal? Or will there ever again even be such a thing as "normal"?

Nothing's been normal for me, since 1963.

In Moore OK, a few years ago, the elementary school had a shelter that was too low ... flooded from the rain coming down with the tornado, drowned little kids.  With hurricanes and tornadoes and other wet disasters, better have shelter above ground ... a bunker is usually below ground.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.