Hurricane Irma

Started by Hydra009, September 06, 2017, 11:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 07, 2017, 02:01:00 PM
I don't know, those things are pretty much unpredictable. Impossible to second guess.
Look at the last name on that list.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 07, 2017, 03:36:07 PM
November of that year?

I am just a few months older than you.  Revised last post above.  I don't have memory of the Cuban Missile Crisis or other prior political events.  Nov 1963 was my baptism by gun fire.  Then 1965 took things much worse.  They took silver out of coins, demonstrators took over the Dean's office, Watts riots, Vietnam war.  Why do people want to repeat the 60s?  Wasn't fun the first time around.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Unbeliever

Well, that should create a lot of jobs...
God Not Found

aitm

yep..its coming right down the barrel at me. As of right now the eye will cross right over my house. Sounds like fun. All set though, I got two glasses of water and my bible...Jesus is all I need!   Okay I also got three cases of beer....should last me to the storm hits....
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Hydra009

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 07, 2017, 09:42:00 AM
Ya, I'd be a little concerned, too.  I have never been through a hurricane and I don't envy anybody who has.
The local grocery store has bottled water stockpiled near the entrance.  People here have already started panic-buying water.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 07, 2017, 04:57:07 PM
Well, that should create a lot of jobs...

Broken Glass theory of economics.  Destruction creates jobs (for illegal immigrants, Americans are too soft for that work).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 07, 2017, 03:35:01 PM
Nothing's been normal for me, since 1963.

In Moore OK, a few years ago, the elementary school had a shelter that was too low ... flooded from the rain coming down with the tornado, drowned little kids.  With hurricanes and tornadoes and other wet disasters, better have shelter above ground ... a bunker is usually below ground.

Fine, why 1963? 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 07, 2017, 06:23:25 PM
The local grocery store has bottled water stockpiled near the entrance.  People here have already started panic-buying water.
I can only wish you and yours all the luck that can be mustered--hope you stay dry and safe!!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

Quote from: aitm on September 07, 2017, 06:14:56 PM
yep..its coming right down the barrel at me. As of right now the eye will cross right over my house. Sounds like fun. All set though, I got two glasses of water and my bible...Jesus is all I need!   Okay I also got three cases of beer....should last me to the storm hits....

May the random operations of the universe work in your favor...

Hydra009

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 07, 2017, 09:05:46 PM
I can only wish you and yours all the luck that can be mustered--hope you stay dry and safe!!
I'll try.  I have the good sense not to go out in a hurricane.  I'll hunker down as best I can and que sera, sera.

With any luck it'll be mostly spent by the time it gets here and it'll just be an unusually strong thunderstorm.  Regardless, a lot of other people are going to get it way worse than me.  The aftermath is going to be incredible.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 07, 2017, 09:15:44 PM
I'll try.  I have the good sense not to go out in a hurricane.  I'll hunker down as best I can and que sera, sera.

With any luck it'll be mostly spent by the time it gets here and it'll just be an usually strong thunderstorm.  Regardless, a lot of other people are going to get it way worse than me.  The aftermath is going to be incredible.

Well, sure hope you are on the SW side.  It it usually lesser there.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on September 07, 2017, 06:37:17 PM
Broken Glass theory of economics.  Destruction creates jobs (for illegal immigrants, Americans are too soft for that work).
And Republicans love job creators.
God Not Found

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on September 07, 2017, 09:27:01 PM
Well, sure hope you are on the SW side.  It it usually lesser there.
I had a book on seamanship one time that explained how you could tell where you were in a hurricane by keeping track of which way the wind is coming at you and in which way it is turning direction in relation to you.  If thus and so, you were in the NW quadrant (and therefore you should work your way to the bla bla side) by heading some bla bla direction relative to the wind.  Compass directions were only used to determine wind direction, but useless in figuring out what quadrant you were in, and which way you had to go to be safe.  That seemed like a concept I could sink my teeth into, but no matter how many times I read the explanation or the directions, nothing ever made sense.  Not in a way that I disagreed with it, however.  It was so far beyond the limits of my comprehension, that after reading it several times, and doing my best to open my mind, I didn't have a clue what the book was saying, or how the concepts worked.  I stopped trying to understand it, and just decided it would be better not to think about hurricanes when I'm sailing.