News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Hurricane Irma

Started by Hydra009, September 06, 2017, 11:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

I've brought this up in other threads, but I figured it deserves its own thread.

I dunno if you guys have noticed this, but I've been freaking out about this storm.  It's the biggest storm since Hugo and on a similar path.  Growing up, I heard stories about how bad Hugo was from relatives who were in SC at the time.  Irma is unsettlingly familiar and inspired a sense of dread that I haven't experienced in a long, long time.

And reports from the Caribbean Islands that first felt this storm's fury have done little to ease this feeling:

QuoteHurricane Irma Reaches Puerto Rico: ‘There Is Nothing Like This’

• Hurricane Irma, one of the strongest storms ever recorded in the Atlantic, hit the eastern Caribbean on Wednesday with winds of up to 185 miles an hour.

• The Category 5 storm leveled Barbuda, damaging 95 percent of its buildings and leaving the island “barely habitable.” It has since begun lashing Puerto Rico and is also threatening havoc and destruction in the Virgin Islands, the Dominican Republic, Haiti and Cuba.

President Trump declared a state of emergency in Florida, Puerto Rico and the United States Virgin Islands. The storm is expected to reach Florida on Sunday, potentially causing catastrophic flooding.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/06/world/americas/hurricane-irma-update.html

QuoteThe US National Hurricane Center in Miami warned late Wednesday that it is increasingly likely Irma will strike southern Florida, home to 7 million people, by Sunday afternoon.

Florida suffered from long lines at gas stations and fuel and supply shortages on Wednesday.
QuoteThe Puerto Rico electric company says 965,000 people â€" close to two-thirds of customers â€" are without power. At least 50,000 people are without water. Fourteen hospitals are relying on emergency generators.

It is the fiercest hurricane to hit the island since 1928
https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2017/sep/06/hurricane-irma-caribbean-islands-category-5-storm

Mike Cl

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

Climate-warming, Climate-Warming, Climate-warming...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Evacuate before you are told to.  Cover your windows before you are told to.  Get a week worth of supplies before you are told to.  If you wait, you are too late.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 07, 2017, 07:10:11 AM
Evacuate before you are told to.  Cover your windows before you are told to.  Get a week worth of supplies before you are told to.  If you wait, you are too late.

Some family fled the Keys already.  But they may have left the frying pan for the fire.  Ok, rain and winds...

Cavebear

SGOS

I haven't been paying too much attention to Irma since it first formed.  That seems like a week ago, and at that time it was just another hurricane forming out in the ocean.  I knew that it was destined to take a swipe at the east coast, as far north as New York, and I saw maps that showed paths that could effect any state of the seaboard, but that Florida would be hit for sure.  In my mind it was just another hurricane that might blow itself out in a few days.  Also, all the focus has been on the aftermath in Huston, so I basically mentally shelved thinking about it.

But my God!  We certainly don't want another Hugo!  I was in Montana at the time, and I can't remember any hurricane dominating the news to that extent before.   But early reports of Irma's  first landfalls are not encouraging.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on September 07, 2017, 07:56:12 AM
I haven't been paying too much attention to Irma since it first formed.  That seems like a week ago, and at that time it was just another hurricane forming out in the ocean.  I knew that it was destined to take a swipe at the east coast, as far north as New York, and I saw maps that showed paths that could effect any state of the seaboard, but that Florida would be hit for sure.  In my mind it was just another hurricane that might blow itself out in a few days.  Also, all the focus has been on the aftermath in Huston, so I basically mentally shelved thinking about it.

But my God!  We certainly don't want another Hugo!  I was in Montana at the time, and I can't remember any hurricane dominating the news to that extent before.   But early reports of Irma's  first landfalls are not encouraging.

The predictions are saying worst hurricane ever recorded...  And I've been through a few.  Wow!

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on September 07, 2017, 02:33:06 AM
Climate-warming, Climate-Warming, Climate-warming...
*sticks hand out the window*
Feels cold to me.

I joke, but this is really what some people believe.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 07, 2017, 09:24:08 AM
Feels cold to me.

I understand.  But this is exactly what scientists tried to explain years ago.  GENERAL global warming leads to unequal and hard to predict weird weather patterns and larger tropical storms.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 07, 2017, 09:18:48 AM
Central NC
Ya, I'd be a little concerned, too.  I have never been through a hurricane and I don't envy anybody who has.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 07, 2017, 09:24:08 AM
Feels cold to me.

Not that long ago, a secretary where I worked, who had no idea what global warming was, had just finished an article and was delighted to report one morning that eventually Portland, Oregon would have palm trees.  A bunch of people jumped on her, one mentioning that Portland would be under water, and she was hurt.  It wasn't like she was a denier looking for a debate.  She was just delighted about palm trees in Oregon, and thought everyone else would be happy with the news too.  It would likely mean that the Montana mountains would become home to vibrantly colored tropical birds.  I mean, what's wrong with warm weather?  Especially, if you are from Montana.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on September 07, 2017, 09:46:16 AM
Not that long ago, a secretary where I worked, who had no idea what global warming was, had just finished an article and was delighted to report one morning that eventually Portland, Oregon would have palm trees.  A bunch of people jumped on her, one mentioning that Portland would be under water, and she was hurt.  It wasn't like she was a denier looking for a debate.  She was just delighted about palm trees in Oregon, and thought everyone else would be happy with the news too.  It would likely mean that the Montana mountains would become home to vibrantly colored tropical birds.  I mean, what's wrong with warm weather?  Especially, if you are from Montana.

Tricky to reply to.   On one hand, I know people with little education and great talents.  On the other hand, if your only skill is typiing fast and accurately and taking orders, you might be a secretary!

I had a secretary co-worker who heard about the Yellowstone Supervolcano and came right to me about it.  I explained it was serious, but probably not going to happen in our lifetimes and gave some reasons. 

She said, "Well, I was sure YOU would know", and went away unworried.  Nothing like being "the science guy" in the office.

*I* on the other hand, then spent several years until I retired, worrying that the damn supervolcano WOULD blow up and she would blame me.

Never mind the unbelievable devastation it would have caused, I was suddenly responsible for her trust in me that it WOULDN'T happen in her lifetime.  Responsibility, deserved or not, is Hell!