Recent lack of progress in psychology ...

Started by Baruch, September 14, 2017, 07:10:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

http://www.nybooks.com/daily/2017/09/11/the-hardening-of-consciousness/

Has to do with the "hard problem" of consciousness.  Without understanding that, psychology has nothing.  The idea of "unconscious" assumptions ... is very relevant to Drew.  Basically ... the objective can't claim to know the subjective.  These are inseparable, yet independent.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 14, 2017, 07:10:38 AM
http://www.nybooks.com/daily/2017/09/11/the-hardening-of-consciousness/

Has to do with the "hard problem" of consciousness.  Without understanding that, psychology has nothing.  The idea of "unconscious" assumptions ... is very relevant to Drew.  Basically ... the objective can't claim to know the subjective.  These are inseparable, yet independent.

If they inseparable, then they can't logically be independent.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 14, 2017, 09:06:25 AM
If they inseparable, then they can't logically be independent.

Only in Western logic.  In Mahayana Buddhism, this wouldn't be a problem.  But then the West isn't the acme of humanity.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 14, 2017, 08:29:00 PM
Only in Western logic.  In Mahayana Buddhism, this wouldn't be a problem.  But then the West isn't the acme of humanity.

Which says nothing about my original statement...

Sal1981

Cavebear

Quote from: Cavebear on September 19, 2017, 05:41:51 AM
Which says nothing about my original statement...
And I don't think much of a society that allows monkeys and cows to wreck their lives.  Now, I'll admit, after it rains, I actually pick earthworms off my driveway and toss them on the lawn.  But that's for MY benefit, not theirs. And I don't step on anthills in the yard.  They are beneficial too, turning the soil.

Call me anything you want, but I'm no Buddist.  I help those things that help me and I don't worry that they may be my deceased parents.  I'm lethal to groundhogs and squirrels and deer.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 19, 2017, 09:58:08 AM
And I don't think much of a society that allows monkeys and cows to wreck their lives.  Now, I'll admit, after it rains, I actually pick earthworms off my driveway and toss them on the lawn.  But that's for MY benefit, not theirs. And I don't step on anthills in the yard.  They are beneficial too, turning the soil.

Call me anything you want, but I'm no Buddist.  I help those things that help me and I don't worry that they may be my deceased parents.  I'm lethal to groundhogs and squirrels and deer.

Don't worry, I suspect you will reincarnate as a fire hydrant.  You love dogs, don't you? ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Psychology is a science with an ever increasing body of research behind it. It's progress is going just fine. Psychology has no specific goal other than to expand what we know about human behavior. And in that endeavor, it has accomplished quite a lot, even if some people refuse to apply the research to their own lives.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 20, 2017, 11:41:51 PM
Psychology is a science with an ever increasing body of research behind it. It's progress is going just fine. Psychology has no specific goal other than to expand what we know about human behavior. And in that endeavor, it has accomplished quite a lot, even if some people refuse to apply the research to their own lives.

As long as we don't expect omniscience nor omnipotence from a science, then it will stay real.  With Behaviorism, we gave up trying to understand what a person is thinking ... but with Cognitivism we are back to seeing what we can understand of it.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 19, 2017, 10:32:03 PM
Don't worry, I suspect you will reincarnate as a fire hydrant.  You love dogs, don't you? ;-)

No, actually, I don't love dogs.  Strike One...  As odd as a true lack in any religious belief in any form might seem to you, I don't believe in reincarnation either.  Strike Two...

Wanna go for Strike Three?

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 23, 2017, 04:07:29 AM
No, actually, I don't love dogs.  Strike One...  As odd as a true lack in any religious belief in any form might seem to you, I don't believe in reincarnation either.  Strike Two...

Wanna go for Strike Three?

OK, I mistook you for all the other canines here ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 23, 2017, 05:45:08 PM
OK, I mistook you for all the other canines here ;-(

My natural 2nd language is "feline".  I don't speak "woof" well.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 28, 2017, 04:55:02 AM
My natural 2nd language is "feline".  I don't speak "woof" well.

You may not have the "woof" aka "weft" in looming .. but you have the "warp" down pat ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 28, 2017, 07:32:54 PM
You may not have the "woof" aka "weft" in looming .. but you have the "warp" down pat ;-)

I'll have you know that some of my childhood Jersey Loom warps and woofs were so good they served well as potholders until the loofs died in the wash!  How dare you offend my DEAR mother's opinion of my efforts!  ;)

And she said I had a "touch" for color.  Or did she say I was "touched"?  Memory fades...