Rayo Vallecano y St. Pauli (Amongst Others): Why Football Should Be Political

Started by Shiranu, September 03, 2017, 11:57:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

Posted bellow, the video over Rayo shows why football should stick to it roots of being a working man's, heavily political and heavily regional sport rather than trying to transform itself (unfortunately quite successfully in the English speaking world) into a global brand with little support for what the clubs stand for, only support for the image, the brand, the luster of the clubs and their players.

There is nothing wrong with supporting a Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern, Manchester United or City who all have wonderful cultures and histories, but we have to take care that we support them for what they are rather than supporting them because of what people think they are... and that smaller clubs don't then think the only way forward is to value commercial appeal over their human appeal. At their worst sports are everything that's wrong with corporations and capitalism... at their best, clubs are everything that is beautiful about humanity.

Rayo Vallecano is located in Vallecas, a small, working class neighbourhood in Madrid of about 300,000 that was hit heavily by the global recession and the weaker Spanish economy. The players have been involved in several great stories, such as paying for the housing of an 85-year old Vallecana who was evicted from her house and often participating in charity work and food kitchens in the barrio. Likewise their kit for years now has represented solidarity with the LGBT movement and several other charities, with proceeds from each kit sold going to 7 different charity organizations. In their own words...

QuoteThe kit was unveiled accompanied by the slogan “Rayo Vallecano with the unsung heroes”, and each of the six different colours on the stripe design relate to a different cause.

The red stripe is for those tackling cancer, orange is for those fighting for the integration of disabled people, yellow is for “those who have lost hope”, green is for people striving to protect the environment, blue is for those fighting against child abuse, while pink is for the victims of domestic violence. The rainbow of colours as a whole relates to a seventh cause, those from LGBT backgrounds facing struggles against discrimination.

They also currently sport a kit that features a pink stripe and the breast cancer awareness ribbon on the right chest.

This is what sports should be about; community, helping one another, standing up for what's right. It's refreshing in a world of massive corporation teams or Cappernick's being blacklisted for standing up (or kneeling in this case) for what is right to see a team that so proudly and unashamedly wants to send a political message.

A German equivelant is St. Pauli... heavily, heavily tied to the punk-rock movement of the 80's and anti-fascist, anti-racist, anti-homophobic thought, the team has proudly helped the community and fought for groups like the recent refugee influx, and again I think that is something that has to be commended, regardless of if you like football or not.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

I will take the yellow stripe, even though I don't get football (the world kind).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

If you mean soccer, best game to play and most boring to watch sport in the world.  I played it in High School in 1966 and 67.  Letterred.  Couldn't be bothered to watch it today.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 04, 2017, 01:01:13 AM
If you mean soccer, best game to play and most boring to watch sport in the world.  I played it in High School in 1966 and 67.  Letterred.  Couldn't be bothered to watch it today.

Says the guy who is excellent at everything.  Did you letter in synchronized farting too?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 04, 2017, 07:14:32 AM
Says the guy who is excellent at everything.  Did you letter in synchronized farting too?

I'm horrible at basketball, musical instruments, and art.  On the other cheek, I do like broccoli a lot.  So farting is a constant.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!