Flags: Why, "Do Your Parents Know I'm Black?" Is Still A Very Important Question

Started by Shiranu, September 02, 2017, 04:50:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

I really like this quote from Guess Who's Coming To Dinner:

Quote from: John PrenticeYou listen to me. You say you don't want to tell me how to live my life. So what do you think you've been doing? You tell me what rights I've got or haven't got, and what I owe to you for what you've done for me. Let me tell you something. I owe you nothing! If you carried that bag a million miles, you did what you're supposed to do! Because you brought me into this world. And from that day you owed me everything you could ever do for me like I will owe my son if I ever have another. But you don't own me! You can't tell me when or where I'm out of line, or try to get me to live my life according to your rules. You don't even know what I am, Dad, you don't know who I am. You don't know how I feel, what I think. And if I tried to explain it the rest of your life you will never understand. You are 30 years older than I am. You and your whole lousy generation believes the way it was for you is the way it's got to be. And not until your whole generation has lain down and died will the dead weight of you be off our backs! You understand, you've got to get off my back! Dad... Dad, you're my father. I'm your son. I love you. I always have and I always will. But you think of yourself as a colored man. I think of myself as a man. Now, I've got a decision to make, hm? And I've got to make it alone, and I gotta make it in a hurry. So would you go out there and see after my mother?
John: You listen to me. You say you don't want to tell me how to live my life. So what do you think you've been doing? You tell me what rights I've got or haven't got, and what I owe to you for what you've done for me. Let me tell you something. I owe you nothing! If you carried that bag a million miles, you did what you're supposed to do! Because you brought me into this world. And from that day you owed me everything you could ever do for me like I will owe my son if I ever have another. But you don't own me! You can't tell me when or where I'm out of line, or try to get me to live my life according to your rules. You don't even know what I am, Dad, you don't know who I am. You don't know how I feel, what I think. And if I tried to explain it the rest of your life you will never understand. You are 30 years older than I am. You and your whole lousy generation believes the way it was for you is the way it's got to be. And not until your whole generation has lain down and died will the dead weight of you be off our backs! You understand, you've got to get off my back! Dad... Dad, you're my father. I'm your son. I love you. I always have and I always will. But you think of yourself as a colored man. I think of myself as a man. Now, I've got a decision to make, hm? And I've got to make it alone, and I gotta make it in a hurry. So would you go out there and see after my mother?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 04, 2017, 10:29:25 PM
Or we can just go all the way, ban all movies that no more than a few artsy-fartsy movie majors would bother watching (not picking on a certain regular poster here).

Why not just produce all those great Proletarian movies and plays that made the Red Guards so popular in 1960s China?

Probably because 2017 US isn't 1960s China...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 07, 2017, 02:51:49 AM
Probably because 2017 US isn't 1960s China...

1960s Cuba perhaps?  That is what all these Church Of Latter Day Che folks think.  Draft all he college students already!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 07, 2017, 07:00:09 AM
1960s Cuba perhaps?  That is what all these Church Of Latter Day Che folks think.  Draft all he college students already!

"Church Of The Latter Day Che"?  That was great!  You crack me up.  Really, we sure disagree, but you give me a smile sometimes. 

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 07, 2017, 08:48:48 AM
"Church Of The Latter Day Che"?  That was great!  You crack me up.  Really, we sure disagree, but you give me a smile sometimes.

I am not saying that of the average Democrat ... not even the average college student (who wants to graduate) but the privileged scions of the idle bourgeoise, who are activists.  Same sad bunch as in 1965 etc.  I went to a real college, never had time for politics (though a few of us met the VP Libertarian candidate in 1976).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 07, 2017, 06:35:01 PM
I am not saying that of the average Democrat ... not even the average college student (who wants to graduate) but the privileged scions of the idle bourgeoise, who are activists.  Same sad bunch as in 1965 etc.  I went to a real college, never had time for politics (though a few of us met the VP Libertarian candidate in 1976).

I spent enough years after college in roach-filled apartments, eating hamburger helper, helper, working at minimum wage.  And even when I advanced enough at the department store, to be in charge of 25% of it, I moved from $2.15 per hour to $2.25.

WOWSWERS!!!

Don't tell ME about  capitalism.  There is a reason  the 99% is the 99% and it ISN'T lack of working hard.

It's robber CEOs and their like...