Flags: Why, "Do Your Parents Know I'm Black?" Is Still A Very Important Question

Started by Shiranu, September 02, 2017, 04:50:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on September 04, 2017, 12:23:42 AM
I cant say I have watched very many if any hateful movies, nor even know of many, so I don't feel comfortable or qualified in answering that one way or another.

The movie in question was one you know about, but didn't see.  So I didn't mention "watching" ... you dodged.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Quote from: Baruch on September 04, 2017, 12:27:22 AM
The movie in question was one you know about, but didn't see.  So I didn't mention "watching" ... you dodged.

Ah. Didn't realise you were talking about, "Get Out", since you said hateful movies. I have seen nothing to indicate that it is hateful. The extent of my knowledge about it is that people liked it, that it had social commentary on race relations in the U.S., and I think that African American comedian Peele is either an actor or director of it. Before Munch mentioned it, I honestly didn't even know it was a horror movie.

Again, I have seen nothing to indicate any movie as being hateful; I suppose (am sure, actually) xenophobes, homophobes, Islamaphobes, etc. have movies, I just don't know of them and have no interest in knowing of them.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Hateful ... doesn't just mean ... something you only find hateful.  There are community standards, depending on your community.  I find the idea of "Get Out" as hateful as "Inglorious Bastards" which trivialize my parent's generation.  There are people ... some of them White, who are dangerous to non-White people.  Making a horror movie about real threats by real people, and turning it into a joke, is hateful to me.  Or do you think that there are lots of White folk out there who actually transplant their brains into the bodies of non-White victims?  Isn't that really about Ms Dolezal?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 04, 2017, 12:13:35 AM
And you are very much like the DMV clerk from hell ... not that I mind that.  And no, I didn't think you had changed your opinions.

Interestingly, as a Govt employee, I was opposite.  I constantly got in trouble by actually helping people.  You just say stuff because it seems to make you feel clever.  One day you will wake up...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Shiranu

Quote from: Baruch on September 04, 2017, 12:48:50 AM
Hateful ... doesn't just mean ... something you only find hateful.  There are community standards, depending on your community.  I find the idea of "Get Out" as hateful as "Inglorious Bastards" which trivialize my parent's generation.  There are people ... some of them White, who are dangerous to non-White people.  Making a horror movie about real threats by real people, and turning it into a joke, is hateful to me.  Or do you think that there are lots of White folk out there who actually transplant their brains into the bodies of non-White victims?  Isn't that really about Ms Dolezal?

Offense is generally taken, not given, so I don't think the blame should be put on a piece of art without viewing the context. We are using different definitions of the word hateful, I think; what I am referring to is the synonym to malicious. "Get Out", "Inglorious", etc. are not movies that are looking to be malicious... in the case of "Get Out" it is likely quite the opposite given Peele's background. Nor does trivializing and turning into entertainment the Holocaust make something hateful. I don't think anyone came out of that movie with a changed opinion on how terrible the Nazis were or that the Holocaust was just all fun and games.

I wouldn't even call Carr, Carlin, Pryor, Murphy hateful... all though they intentionally used jokes meant to offend and "hurt" people... because that offense and hurt was recognized by everyone as both a joke and a poignant statement.

When I say I don't know of any hateful movies, I mean something that is specifically created as a hateful comment with no humour or positive undertone to it; the closest I can think of would be some of the anti-immigrant, anti-LGBT videos you can find on youtube. That is the type of hate I am referring to.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Cavebear

Quote from: Shiranu on September 04, 2017, 01:19:46 AM
Offense is generally taken, not given, so I don't think the blame should be put on a piece of art without viewing the context. We are using different definitions of the word hateful, I think; what I am referring to is the synonym to malicious. "Get Out", "Inglorious", etc. are not movies that are looking to be malicious... in the case of "Get Out" it is likely quite the opposite given Peele's background. Nor does trivializing and turning into entertainment the Holocaust make something hateful. I don't think anyone came out of that movie with a changed opinion on how terrible the Nazis were or that the Holocaust was just all fun and games.

I wouldn't even call Carr, Carlin, Pryor, Murphy hateful... all though they intentionally used jokes meant to offend and "hurt" people... because that offense and hurt was recognized by everyone as both a joke and a poignant statement.

When I say I don't know of any hateful movies, I mean something that is specifically created as a hateful comment with no humour or positive undertone to it; the closest I can think of would be some of the anti-immigrant, anti-LGBT videos you can find on youtube. That is the type of hate I am referring to.

The last movie I saw at a theater was AntZ.  I just wait for them to show up free on TV.  I saw Ultron last week.  Didn't seem out of date.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 04, 2017, 02:04:55 AM
The last movie I saw at a theater was AntZ.  I just wait for them to show up free on TV.  I saw Ultron last week.  Didn't seem out of date.

AntZ ... so did you want to grow up to be Woody Allen already?  Who nu?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 04, 2017, 06:58:47 AM
AntZ ... so did you want to grow up to be Woody Allen already?  Who nu?

What IS it about you that causes such uselessly jester posts?  I watched a movie and you think I identify with the voice character?  Are you severely troubled or just annoyingly religious? 

You do make me smile though.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 04, 2017, 10:21:46 AM
What IS it about you that causes such uselessly jester posts?  I watched a movie and you think I identify with the voice character?  Are you severely troubled or just annoyingly religious? 

You do make me smile though.

Gotcha .. Shrek.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Drew_2017

Quote from: Munch on September 02, 2017, 08:18:42 PM
Look hun, if someone wants to make a movie showing the realistic societal narrative in america of race, acceptance and divide, thats fine. But that movies narrative was garbage and the stereotypes were cartoony at best. Thats the trope of bad horror movies, so claiming some social aspect to the movie from that premise was always a bad idea.

I seem to be having deja vu all a sudden. This seems so familiar a conversation.

Or as Yogi Berra would say,  'It's like déjà vu all over again'.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
Albert Einstein

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jex6k2uvf9aljrq/theism.rtf?dl=0

Baruch

Or we can just go all the way, ban all movies that no more than a few artsy-fartsy movie majors would bother watching (not picking on a certain regular poster here).

Why not just produce all those great Proletarian movies and plays that made the Red Guards so popular in 1960s China?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Absurd Atheist

Quote from: Shiranu on September 02, 2017, 04:50:56 AM
Because I think this is too important of topic to let slide, but I don't want to turn the movie thread into a debate...

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/these-5-states-still-use-confederate-symbols-their-flags

At Munch: Again, you simply cannot know certain parts of our culture without knowing and understanding intimately our culture, and likewise neither can anyone else, myself included. So when someone from a different culture tells you of their experiences growing up and living in that culture, don't get sassy and act like it doesn't exist because it doesn't agree with your stereotype of them.

Hypothetically speaking, I'd be more worried about my parents finding out she was white.
"To have faith is to lose your mind and to win God."
-The Sickness unto Death - 1849