Flags: Why, "Do Your Parents Know I'm Black?" Is Still A Very Important Question

Started by Shiranu, September 02, 2017, 04:50:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

My opinion of the Confederate flag is about the same as my opinion of the German Nazi swastika - it has no place in a democratic society. I don't think traitors to their country should be in any way honored, with either flags or statues.

I know Baruch says that this nation's founders were all traitors to their country, but I bet Britain doesn't have statues honoring them, either.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Munch

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 03, 2017, 03:22:47 PM
My opinion of the Confederate flag is about the same as my opinion of the German Nazi swastika - it has no place in a democratic society. I don't think traitors to their country should be in any way honored, with either flags or statues.

I know Baruch says that this nation's founders were all traitors to their country, but I bet Britain doesn't have statues honoring them, either.

1. If you learn to see your country, from the eyes of a different country, or better yet, an enemy ... your eyes will be open and never close.

2. Yes, Britain still has stuff they pillaged from the White House before they burned it.  For all we have done for them in two world wars.  So like Ireland (even the Republican part) .. we are England's bitch.  Not that I mind.

3. Britain has its own long standing ennui ... see the recent feelings about King Richard III.  Think of the hostile portrayals by Shakespeare ... think Tywin Lannister ;-))  My Tudor relations were on the opposite side, but had a more distant relationship with King Richard's ancestors thru relatives of William the Conqueror.  My closer cousins fighting my distant cousins .. as Bosworth.  But King Richard might have won, except for betrayal on the battlefield by Sir William Stanley.

4. I doubt non-Americans can understand how "triggering" the Confederate flags (more than one of them) is.  I would never display one myself, even if I have some sympathy for the South being from Texas, and a grandson of a KKK member.  Nor do I have the slightest prejudice against African-Americans.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on September 03, 2017, 03:45:23 PM
1. If you learn to see your country, from the eyes of a different country, or better yet, an enemy ... your eyes will be open and never close.

Sounds like the outsider test of faith.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on September 03, 2017, 02:14:30 PM
Yankee ... Rebels hiding under the bed
Rebel .. Yankees hiding under the bed

Emperor Putin ... feel the hate!
When I was growing up, it was also.................
Yankees.....Dodgers under the bed
Dodgers---Yankees under the bed

New York Giants (baseball team, not football)......feel the hate!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 03, 2017, 05:22:42 PM
Sounds like the outsider test of faith.

Politics is a kind of faith.  It is just as much a part of the Matrix as the church is.  So blue pill then?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

THere comes a time in any rational society to set the errors of the past free and move on. 

In this case, there are times when some people were honored and are deservedly not now.  This is that time.  Let the Civil War statues be removed because they no longer represent what we should honor.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 03, 2017, 11:01:18 PM
THere comes a time in any rational society to set the errors of the past free and move on. 

In this case, there are times when some people were honored and are deservedly not now.  This is that time.  Let the Civil War statues be removed because they no longer represent what we should honor.

Only when there is collective amnesia.  Otherwise you are proposing selective cause/effect.  The effect of both correct and incorrect action 200 years ago, influences us, everyone in between, and all our posterity as well.  Drop in a still pond and all that.

I agree, take down Mt Rushmore, we shouldn't honor Washington nor Jefferson.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 03, 2017, 03:45:23 PM
Nor do I have the slightest prejudice against African-Americans.
When you have to say something like that, you have a slight problem...

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 03, 2017, 11:19:16 PM
When you have to say something like that, you have a slight problem...

You have a slight problem with me giving you "likes" ... so maybe you are the one in denial.  Of course I wasn't raised to be particular prejudiced, fortunately.  And I pride myself on being pragmatically fair minded and beneficent.  You can kiss my Papal ring now ;-))
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 03, 2017, 11:25:35 PM
You have a slight problem with me giving you "likes" ... so maybe you are the one in denial.  Of course I wasn't raised to be particular prejudiced, fortunately.  And I pride myself on being pragmatically fair minded and beneficent.  You can kiss my Papal ring now ;-))

Oh my, Baruch, that is an entirely different subject.  I don't "like" you because I don't like you.  You are a trollish pest who adds little to the Board discussion.  But there you are and I am here and bored.  I would much rather talk to ALMOST anyone else.

But you aren't the DUMBEST theist I've even met, so...

But really, no I don't care about your "likes" to my posts in the least.  It almost insults me.  Let that relieve you from any feeling of obligation. 

Shiranu

QuoteSo lemme get this right, you've not seen the movie, and so you don't know the story, which is what my discussion was about, the setting within the movie, and you got so butthurt over what I said, that you interpreted it as the reality, instead of pausing to think maybe, just maybe, I'm talking about the premise of story within the film?

Except the discussion wasn't about the film. In your own words...

QuoteRight from the start I paused it when he said to her "do they know I'm black", because when it showed this movie was set in the modern day, it made me ask 'why would he need to ask her that question?', this movie did nothing to establish the setting, just an all american suburb, so why would he ask something like that? That be like my boyfriend asking me "does your mum know I'm german" before he meet her.

I responded to why asking that question in, "Modern day... all american suburb" would make perfect sense, and from there you just continued to throw a hissy fit any time evidence showing why that would be a valid question was brought up. That has nothing to do with the plot of the movie and you damn well know it, indicated both by just simple common sense and also how you went out of your way a few sentences earlier to make a point that this movie was possibly trying to make real world commentary.

If we want to say it's within the context of the movie, than you might as well be bitching about, "Why do they live in houses? The movie hasn't told me why they live in houses! What a stupid movie!". I'm not annoyed by you disliking a movie I have never seen, I am annoyed by you intentionally acting like a 8 year old when anyone tries to educate you about something you are ignorant about. And I am annoyed by you acting like this is about the movie when we both know god damn well that it's not, otherwise you wouldn't have gone out of your way to make a political statement several times in your post. Either it is only about the movie or it isn't; you don't get to have your cake and eat it too. I'm sorry if that annoys you snowflake, but you aren't special and exempt from being called out when you don't like reality disagreeing with your agenda.

Look, it would be one thing if you were to just say, "I disagree. You're stupid.". I could respect that. But what your doing here is literally arguing like a kindergardener saying, "Nuh uh! Nuh uh! Nuh uh!" which is really pathetic for a grown ass man to be doing.

I'm trying to do you a favour, mate. That... or let you continue to shoot yourself in the foot so no one has any inclination to take the hateful things you tend to say seriously since they all know you are full of it. It's a win-win situation for me, and it could be a winning situation for you as well if you would get over yourself for five seconds and just admit you didn't know that about American culture.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 03, 2017, 11:34:47 PM
Oh my, Baruch, that is an entirely different subject.  I don't "like" you because I don't like you.  You are a trollish pest who adds little to the Board discussion.  But there you are and I am here and bored.  I would much rather talk to ALMOST anyone else.

But you aren't the DUMBEST theist I've even met, so...

But really, no I don't care about your "likes" to my posts in the least.  It almost insults me.  Let that relieve you from any feeling of obligation.

And you are very much like the DMV clerk from hell ... not that I mind that.  And no, I didn't think you had changed your opinions.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Shiranu ... do you think every hateful movie proves how awful people are, or just when it is dismissive of Americans?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Quote from: Baruch on September 04, 2017, 12:15:00 AM
Shiranu ... do you think every hateful movie proves how awful people are, or just when it is dismissive of Americans?

I cant say I have watched very many if any hateful movies, nor even know of many, so I don't feel comfortable or qualified in answering that one way or another.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur