Flags: Why, "Do Your Parents Know I'm Black?" Is Still A Very Important Question

Started by Shiranu, September 02, 2017, 04:50:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

Because I think this is too important of topic to let slide, but I don't want to turn the movie thread into a debate...

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/these-5-states-still-use-confederate-symbols-their-flags

QuoteFor 39 years, the Confederate battle flag â€" an instantly recognizable blue “X,” bedecked with white stars, against a red background â€" flew atop the Capitol dome in Columbia, South Carolina. It still flies on the State House grounds, and the governor wants it removed.It is different from the South Carolina state flag, which features a white crescent moon and palmetto tree against a field of indigo.

But in at least five other Southern states, symbols of the old Confederacy form part of the state flags themselves.

Florida

From 1868 to 1900, the flag was the state seal against a white background. Gov. Francis Fleming, who fought in the Confederate army, suggested adding the red “X” in the 1890s to distinguish it from a flag of surrender, according to the Department of State.
Florida’s state flag thus strongly resembles Alabama’s. Separately, a version of the Confederate flag known as the Stainless Banner flew over the west entrance of the Capitol from 1978 until 2001, when Gov. Jeb Bush ordered it removed.
Georgia

In 1956, Georgia adopted a flag that prominently incorporated the battle emblem. It came down in 2001 in favor of a compromise flag that made the Confederate imagery much smaller.

The current flag was adopted in 2003. It is the first national flag of the Confederacy, known as the Stars and Bars, with the state’s symbolic arch added inside a circle of stars. Georgia voters endorsed it by a 3-to-1 margin in a 2004 referendum.

Mississippi

Mississippi is the only state still incorporating the Confederate battle emblem into its state flag. Voters endorsed it by a margin of almost 2-to-1 in a 2001 referendum.

At Munch: Again, you simply cannot know certain parts of our culture without knowing and understanding intimately our culture, and likewise neither can anyone else, myself included. So when someone from a different culture tells you of their experiences growing up and living in that culture, don't get sassy and act like it doesn't exist because it doesn't agree with your stereotype of them.

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Munch

Wow your still harping on this? I forgot about the shitty movie already, your still trying to draw up something from it.

Though I am curious what this stereotype is you think I have.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Gawdzilla Sama

Her parents knew I was black, we'd met. They had no problem with that, but did insist she finish high school.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on September 02, 2017, 07:22:40 AM
Wow your still harping on this? I forgot about the shitty movie already, your still trying to draw up something from it.

Log Cabin Republican ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

Quote from: Baruch on September 02, 2017, 02:17:09 PM
Log Cabin Republican ;-)

Only log cabins I've enjoyed are ones with an all male team and clothing optional venue

Shiranu

Quote from: Munch on September 02, 2017, 07:22:40 AM

This has nothing to do with the movie, just like my first quote.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Munch

Quote from: Shiranu on September 02, 2017, 03:24:34 PM
This has nothing to do with the movie, just like my first quote.

Well it certainly branched off from it. So do tell, what's my stereotype?

Shiranu

Quote from: Munch on September 02, 2017, 04:14:34 PM
Well it certainly branched off from it. So do tell, what's my stereotype?

That America is not a deeply racially divided country to this day. If you have to ask why an African American would be concerned about a white girl's parents knowing he is black, and then make jokes about it, then it's clear that you have a very inaccurate view on American culture that stems from ignorance of our culture; I.e., a stereotype.

You talked about the "All American suburb" which is in is very nature a stereotype of American culture. And that's fine, because stereotypes generally have allot of truth to them, but the one you hold left out a hugely important aspect of it. Yes, it's not important to you or me because you don't live here and I don't have dark skin, but that doesn't mean for millions and millions of people it therefore doesn't exist.

And I shared this because I just recently found it and thought it was relevant. If we had never discussed this, I still would have shared it because I think it is relevant to American society, which is what the majority of posters on here belong to, just with a different title and text following the quote.

Munch

Look hun, if someone wants to make a movie showing the realistic societal narrative in america of race, acceptance and divide, thats fine. But that movies narrative was garbage and the stereotypes were cartoony at best. Thats the trope of bad horror movies, so claiming some social aspect to the movie from that premise was always a bad idea.

I seem to be having deja vu all a sudden. This seems so familiar a conversation.

Shiranu

Except I couldn't care less about a movie I've never seen, and except that's not what you said. You spent several paragraphs talking about something completely unrelated to the movie... you cant honestly expect us to believe you when you now say it was all about the movie. You were making a social statement, and when you were proven wrong on it you rather lie about it than just admit you were wrong.

Like the politician from Missouri who advocated lynching people who thought confederate statues should be removed... then claims that he didn't mean to use the word lynching. You say certain things with meaning certain things, the words don't just randomly come out.

Munch

So lemme get this right, you've not seen the movie, and so you don't know the story, which is what my discussion was about, the setting within the movie, and you got so butthurt over what I said, that you interpreted it as the reality, instead of pausing to think maybe, just maybe, I'm talking about the premise of story within the film?

Are you so removed from reality that you can't differentiate real life and a film setting? I said what happened in the movies plot was crap, because what happened in it Was crap.

I don't give a flying fuck about what you want to believe, I don't need to lie about something that you assume I'm basing it on. You haven't seen the movie, so before you make assumptions, go watch it, THEN your have something to base that on.

Draconic Aiur

Munch

Baruch

Yankee ... Rebels hiding under the bed
Rebel .. Yankees hiding under the bed

Emperor Putin ... feel the hate!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?