E. Warren Wall Street Smackdown

Started by WitchSabrina, February 18, 2013, 10:08:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WitchSabrina

//http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/17/wall-street-warren-video_n_2707016.html?utm_hp_ref=politics

Quote"We do not have to bring people to trial," Thomas Curry, head of the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, assured Warren, declaring that his agency had secured a large number of "consent orders," or settlements.

"I appreciate that you say you don't have to bring them to trial. My question is, when did you bring them to trial?" she responded.

"We have not had to do it as a practical matter to achieve our supervisory goals," Curry offered.

Warren turned to Elisse Walter, chair of the Securities and Exchange Commission, who said that the agency weighs how much it can extract from a bank without taking it to court against the cost of going to trial.

"I appreciate that. That's what everybody does," said Warren, a former Harvard law professor. "Can you identify the last time when you took the Wall Street banks to trial?"

"I will have to get back to you with specific information," Walter said as the audience tittered.

Go Elizabeth Warren GO!
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.