Physical Manifestations of the Absurd

Started by Absurd Atheist, August 27, 2017, 01:37:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Mike Cl

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on August 28, 2017, 01:01:37 PM
While I am not in The slightest a philosphy buff, my own ideas seem to lie closer to absurdism than existentialism, honestly.

Reality is a funny old place, and we weren't designed to understand it. And when you are faced with the raw, vast strength of the waves of which we came, blind and ignorant and signifying nothing as they are born from the neverending ocean of sanguine emptyness, The only honest response I can muster is laughter and a stubborn refusal to let them consume me.

Here I stand on the shores of insanity.
Hear me roar, mad with laughter.

Very Zen.  I Grok you.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: aitm on August 28, 2017, 07:56:01 AM
My freshman year in Collage my brother got me;  Existentialism: From Dostoevsky to Sarte.  not a playboy, not a hustler, but that. Never did finish it. Although I enjoyed Sartes writings and his stories. Years ago when asked I would often respond that I am an Skeptical Existentialist Atheist, not always in that order. I found it very useful is that most people thought I would go off into some philosophical rambling speech and quickly changed the topic or better retreated for the nearest babble. Fortunately no one familiar with philosophy ever challenged me on it because I never knew exactly how I would explain it. Ahhhh...good times.

Try Hume...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 31, 2017, 09:42:39 AM
Sorry, I Kant...

Taking a line from Hume ... I am skeptical of your response.  How do you know you Kant?  I doubt you can justify this so-called self knowledge.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 31, 2017, 10:49:58 AM
Taking a line from Hume ... I am skeptical of your response.  How do you know you Kant?  I doubt you can justify this so-called self knowledge.

I Kant, therefore I yam. what I yam..  So spake Popeye the Elder...

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 31, 2017, 11:18:07 AM
I Kant, therefore I yam. what I yam..  So spake Popeye the Elder...

I will summarize Hume for you ... "be as close to a nihilist as you can, without actually being one".  See, wasn't hard at all.  Basically he said that almost all epistemology (how do we know anything at all) failed his "smell" test.  This was convenient for debunking the claims of clergy and royalty .. who were selling cow patties.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 31, 2017, 12:57:11 PM
I will summarize Hume for you ... "be as close to a nihilist as you can, without actually being one".  See, wasn't hard at all.  Basically he said that almost all epistemology (how do we know anything at all) failed his "smell" test.  This was convenient for debunking the claims of clergy and royalty .. who were selling cow patties.

Kant argued that the human mind creates the structure of human experience, that reason is the source of morality, that aesthetics arises from a faculty of disinterested judgment...

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 31, 2017, 02:20:11 PM
Kant argued that the human mind creates the structure of human experience, that reason is the source of morality, that aesthetics arises from a faculty of disinterested judgment...

But I thought you Kant say that ...

For the uneducated without enough time to even read the "Prolegomena to Any Future Metaphysics" let alone "Critique of Pure Reason".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsgAsw4XGvU
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on August 28, 2017, 01:01:37 PM
While I am not in The slightest a philosphy buff, my own ideas seem to lie closer to absurdism than existentialism, honestly.

Reality is a funny old place, and we weren't designed to understand it. And when you are faced with the raw, vast strength of the waves of which we came, blind and ignorant and signifying nothing as they are born from the neverending ocean of sanguine emptyness, The only honest response I can muster is laughter and a stubborn refusal to let them consume me.

Here I stand on the shores of insanity.
Hear me roar, mad with laughter.
Hear me roar?

Absurd Atheist

Quote from: trdsf on August 28, 2017, 12:43:49 PM
I have never heard of synesthesia with broad concepts before.  Musical tones, words and/or numbers, yes, but not hard-to-define concepts.  As a matter of curiosity, do you perceive other concepts with particular colors?  And maybe this might be another angle to approach this from.

I'm a partial synesthete -- I perceive letters and numbers as shades and/or combinations of gray, rather than colors, and more strongly with numbers than letters.  Like 1 is a white number, but it's a weak sort of white that can be overpowered if it's in the proximity of a dark number like 7, 8 or 9.  On the other hand, 3 is a pale number with a weak dark aura, while 4 is a dark number with a pale light aura.  When I learned hexadecimal, I saw attributes associated with the hex digits A through F that were not the same as the attributes they have as plain letters.  Hexadecimal 'A' is much darker than the alphabetical character 'A', for example.

I always have seen them this way -- these categories have never changed for as far back as I can remember, nearly 50 years.  For the longest time I assumed everyone saw letters and numbers that way.

I see most concepts in terms of colors. For example, I see the French language as an emerald green. Essays I write or movies I watch may take some sort of thematic color. I've heard of synesthesia but I've never put much thought into how it might apply to me. Ironically, I've changed my project to one on the human experience with color and symbolism.
"To have faith is to lose your mind and to win God."
-The Sickness unto Death - 1849

Sal1981

Quote from: Baruch on August 31, 2017, 08:57:36 PM
But I thought you Kant say that ...

For the uneducated without enough time to even read the "Prolegomena to Any Future Metaphysics" let alone "Critique of Pure Reason".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsgAsw4XGvU
I've read Kant's "Prolegomena". It was meant, in his own words, to be a popularized version of his works, particularly "Critique of Pure Reason".

Even the 'popularized' version "Prolegomena"was obtuse, apparently not as rigorous as his main works, and boring. I did get some parts of the book, but I think most of it were obtuse ramblings. Like his explanation of the Categorical Imperative. I don't remember how long he droned on about proving the concept, but he could've shortened even in his "Prolegomena" book.

trdsf

Quote from: Absurd Atheist on September 05, 2017, 12:28:06 AM
I see most concepts in terms of colors. For example, I see the French language as an emerald green. Essays I write or movies I watch may take some sort of thematic color. I've heard of synesthesia but I've never put much thought into how it might apply to me. Ironically, I've changed my project to one on the human experience with color and symbolism.
As a matter of curiosity, what color is this reply?  And would the phrasing make a difference?
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan