Physical Manifestations of the Absurd

Started by Absurd Atheist, August 27, 2017, 01:37:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Absurd Atheist

I'm working on a project based on Absurdism and need a physical tangible or empathetic element to help with communication and representation. The concept is too abstract at the moment and this thread may be abstract as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absurdism

If it helps to suggest physical elements of other existential-esque philosophies that would be great too.

To give some examples, other projects include a coat of arms, playing the guitar and singing as acts for various projects. Mine, in particular, focuses on philosophy.

I'm thinking about trying to do something with colors, as the Absurd always has a red tinge in my mind but I'm not sure yet. I'm also incorporating different languages at the moment such as French, but it needs something more concrete.

Any suggestions?
"To have faith is to lose your mind and to win God."
-The Sickness unto Death - 1849

Sorginak

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Mr.Obvious

Perhaps some translated absurd pieces by Jeroom may help inspire you:

"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

i read the Wiki article, but I am too much of a monotheistic existentialist ;-)  The article claims that both atheist and theistic existentialism don't qualify as absurd.  Perhaps only fans of Camus?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Baruch on August 27, 2017, 08:11:08 PM
i read the Wiki article, but I am too much of a monotheistic existentialist ;-)  The article claims that both atheist and theistic existentialism don't qualify as absurd.  Perhaps only fans of Camus?

They might agree it's absurd. But not absurdism :p

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on August 28, 2017, 04:24:39 AM
They might agree it's absurd. But not absurdism :p

But, but ... I expected a vigorous defense of atheist existentialism.  So many here ... their lives are out of Sartre(s) ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

aitm

Quote from: Baruch on August 28, 2017, 06:32:17 AM
But, but ... I expected a vigorous defense of atheist existentialism.  So many here ... their lives are out of Sartre(s) ;-)
My freshman year in Collage my brother got me;  Existentialism: From Dostoevsky to Sarte.  not a playboy, not a hustler, but that. Never did finish it. Although I enjoyed Sartes writings and his stories. Years ago when asked I would often respond that I am an Skeptical Existentialist Atheist, not always in that order. I found it very useful is that most people thought I would go off into some philosophical rambling speech and quickly changed the topic or better retreated for the nearest babble. Fortunately no one familiar with philosophy ever challenged me on it because I never knew exactly how I would explain it. Ahhhh...good times.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Unbeliever

I'm just curious about your sig, aitm - what's a "Panotheust"?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

aitm

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 28, 2017, 10:12:14 AM
I'm just curious about your sig, aitm - what's a "Panotheust"?

It's a word I made up, a "religion" I made up, at least I could never find it anywhere else. My "religion" is Panotheism. The idea that if gods exist that humans have more morality and more courage than any god. Since "gods" cannot die or experience pain, or suffering, they have no moral authority to judge a human who may cower in terror or fight for honor or would willingly die for a stranger. No god can do that, making us in fact, superior to gods.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Mike Cl

Physical manifestation of the absurd?  Here ya go-----Trump.  Can't much more absurd than that!!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

trdsf

Quote from: Absurd Atheist on August 27, 2017, 01:37:23 PM
I'm thinking about trying to do something with colors, as the Absurd always has a red tinge in my mind but I'm not sure yet. I'm also incorporating different languages at the moment such as French, but it needs something more concrete.
I have never heard of synesthesia with broad concepts before.  Musical tones, words and/or numbers, yes, but not hard-to-define concepts.  As a matter of curiosity, do you perceive other concepts with particular colors?  And maybe this might be another angle to approach this from.

I'm a partial synesthete -- I perceive letters and numbers as shades and/or combinations of gray, rather than colors, and more strongly with numbers than letters.  Like 1 is a white number, but it's a weak sort of white that can be overpowered if it's in the proximity of a dark number like 7, 8 or 9.  On the other hand, 3 is a pale number with a weak dark aura, while 4 is a dark number with a pale light aura.  When I learned hexadecimal, I saw attributes associated with the hex digits A through F that were not the same as the attributes they have as plain letters.  Hexadecimal 'A' is much darker than the alphabetical character 'A', for example.

I always have seen them this way -- these categories have never changed for as far back as I can remember, nearly 50 years.  For the longest time I assumed everyone saw letters and numbers that way.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on August 28, 2017, 10:37:58 AM
It's a word I made up, a "religion" I made up, at least I could never find it anywhere else. My "religion" is Panotheism. The idea that if gods exist that humans have more morality and more courage than any god. Since "gods" cannot die or experience pain, or suffering, they have no moral authority to judge a human who may cower in terror or fight for honor or would willingly die for a stranger. No god can do that, making us in fact, superior to gods.

And you laugh, when I claim to be a Greco-Roman demigod?

I believe I have read, that there are over 50 kinds of synesthesia.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Baruch on August 28, 2017, 06:32:17 AM

While I am not in The slightest a philosphy buff, my own ideas seem to lie closer to absurdism than existentialism, honestly.

Reality is a funny old place, and we weren't designed to understand it. And when you are faced with the raw, vast strength of the waves of which we came, blind and ignorant and signifying nothing as they are born from the neverending ocean of sanguine emptyness, The only honest response I can muster is laughter and a stubborn refusal to let them consume me.

Here I stand on the shores of insanity.
Hear me roar, mad with laughter.

aitm

Quote from: Baruch on August 28, 2017, 12:48:22 PM
And you laugh, when I claim to be a Greco-Roman demigod?

I believe I have read, that there are over 50 kinds of synesthesia.

er....one can never have enough of shytm...synthe...whatever that is.