First grader sent to office for 'misgendering' fellow student

Started by Drew_2017, August 26, 2017, 07:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drew_2017

Sign of the times I guess...

QuoteA first grader at a California charter school was sent to the principal’s office this week after she accidentally “misgendered” a classmate in what’s being called a “pronoun mishap.”

We're developing a new vocabulary to accommodate gender confusion.

QuoteThe incident occurred at Rocklin Academy, a school roiled by controversy after a kindergarten teacher led an in-class discussion on transgenderism that included a “gender reveal” for a little boy who was transitioning to a little girl. Parents were furious because they were not informed in advance and were not given the chance to opt their five-year-olds from the classroom transgender activity. However, school leaders informed moms and dads â€" they were not allowed to opt-out â€" and the state did not require them to notify parents.

Hmmm how fascist of them to tell parents to butt out.

QuoteThe latest incident occurred during the first week of school when a first grader came across a classmate on the playground. She called the student by his given name â€" apparently unaware that the boy now identified as a girl.

An act that should call for waterboarding.

Quote“This innocent little first grader sees a classmate, calls him by the name she knew him last year and the boy reports it to a teacher,” Capitol Resource Institute’s Karen England told me. “The little girl gets in trouble on the playground and then gets called out of class to the principal’s office.”

I think this problem requires a government solution. Lets ear mark $500 million to 'study' the problem.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/08/25/first-grader-sent-to-office-for-misgendering-fellow-student.html
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
Albert Einstein

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jex6k2uvf9aljrq/theism.rtf?dl=0

Sorginak

QuoteEngland said the first grader was investigated by the principal to determine whether or not she had bullied the transgender child by calling him by his original name. After about an hour it was determined the little girl made an honest mistake and she was not punished or reprimanded.

Oh, look at that.

As usual, the right making a big deal about nothing. 

Baruch

Proposed law in California, to jail nurses who misgender patients.

PC over-reaction is so ... past its sell date.  Arrest all the so-called adults and lock them in the loony bin.  Like the cop that arrested the little boy at school, who tore his PG&J sandwich into the shape of a gun.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

I would like to see a legitimate news site report this first before coming to a conclusion. From what it sounds like it is yet another mountain of yet another mole hill that signifies the end times of society as we know it. Boring.

I remember the incident of the reading though, and I do agree that is too young to be discussing sexuality with children. I don't think it's going to cause some catastrophic failure and turn them all into sexually identifying as apache attack helicopters, but sexuality isn't something that needs to be addressed in first grade outside of teaching that it doesn't matter a flying shit what gender you are, everyone should be treated with respect.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Drew_2017

England said the first grader was investigated by the principal to determine whether or not she had bullied the transgender child by calling him by his original name. After about an hour it was determined the little girl made an honest mistake and she was not punished or reprimanded.

Quote from: Sorginak on August 26, 2017, 07:52:03 PM
Oh, look at that.

You don't think its traumatic for a 1st grader to go to the principals office? Why would it take an hour? In my opinion its irresponsible for parents to allow a first grader to determine what gender they are. It must be the child's decision because they wouldn't do it if only the parents wanted a different gender.

Albert Einstein

Shiranu

QuoteWhy would it take an hour?

I spent over half of my school career at the principals' office, and I can assure you something as small as giving the middle finger to another student can take well over an hour. I wouldn't read into that any more than it is.

QuoteIn my opinion its irresponsible for parents to allow a first grader to determine what gender they are.

In my opinion it's irresponsible for parents to not allow a first grader to express themselves as whatever gender they are.
In my opinion it's irresponsible for parents to allow a first grader to determine what type of food they want to eat.
In my opinion it's irresponsible for parents to allow a first grade to eat what ever type of food they want to eat.
In my opinion it's irresponsible for parents to allow a first grader to play sports where they could get seriously injured.
In my opinion it's irresponsible for parents to allow a first grader to not be involved in sports where they learn team work and have physical exercise.

See, opinions on someone else's first grader mean very little, because all of those sound like absolutely valid arguments. Certainly we can all agree that we shouldn't let first graders do heroine, or murder their siblings, but besides that what is or isn't right to teach a kid is completely subjective to the society you live in.

I've already expressed I don't think teaching them about gender issues like that at first grade outside of, "Treat every gender with kindness and fairness" is the best idea, but I also don't think that acting like it's the end of the world to do so is appropriate either. The only difference is I'm not going to pretend that opinion should therefor be the rule for everyone else. If a parent treats their kid with kindness and respect, the school does so as well, then I have no business butting into their affairs because it's frankly none of my damn business.

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on August 26, 2017, 07:59:34 PMI would like to see a legitimate news site report this first before coming to a conclusion.
What, you don't use Fox News as your primary source?  But it says a lot of stuff that conservatives want to believe is true.  It can't be wrong if it's right all the time!

Munch

Quote from: Sorginak on August 26, 2017, 07:52:03 PM
Oh, look at that.

The fact she was sent to the principles office in the first place IS the big deal. Its forced gender politics on a child, a simple correction by the teacher should have been enough.

Or maybe its the oversensitive nature of parents and teachers who can't figure a better way to raise kids. When my nephews remark on my weight, I don't get butthurt over it and make them sit on a step for fifteen minutes, I laugh it off.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on August 27, 2017, 05:00:01 AM
The fact she was sent to the principles office in the first place IS the big deal. Its forced gender politics on a child, a simple correction by the teacher should have been enough.

Or maybe its the oversensitive nature of parents and teachers who can't figure a better way to raise kids. When my nephews remark on my weight, I don't get butthurt over it and make them sit on a step for fifteen minutes, I laugh it off.

In US schools, parents are frequently the problem, more than teachers or administrators.  Their little monster can do no wrong.  I have seen teachers fired over this.

Adding ... so Shiranu .. one can see now why you are something of a French revolutionary ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on August 27, 2017, 07:19:15 AM
In US schools, parents are frequently the problem, more than teachers or administrators.  Their little monster can do no wrong.  I have seen teachers fired over this.
It's not just in school, and certainly not all parents will defend their child's monstrous behavior, but parenting is like any other skill, some are good at it, some aren't, and some never will be.  Some parents are the very reason their child is a monster. 

I don't want to suggest bad parenting is the cause of this particular incident.  I wasn't there, and the only account is from the media, which loves to embellish precisely this kind of event into a major miscarriage of justice.  It's impossible for me to judge the participants, because I don't know what happened, and I can't trust the media to provide all the facts relevant to the situation.  This thing could be a misunderstanding where all parties intended to be respectful, but something happened to escalate a minor misunderstanding into a major misunderstanding, and then the media steps in and things get even more exciting.

Some people build their personal schedule around waiting for a chance to take offense at something, and the media is always there to help.  This gendering thing is pretty new, and most people are unfamiliar with the pronouns and the rules about engaging in a new environment.  There are bound to be some mishaps along the path to social justice.  And there will always be those who refuse to abide by the new protocols.

Drew_2017

Quote from: Shiranu on August 26, 2017, 10:11:39 PM
I spent over half of my school career at the principals' office, and I can assure you something as small as giving the middle finger to another student can take well over an hour. I wouldn't read into that any more than it is.

In my opinion it's irresponsible for parents to not allow a first grader to express themselves as whatever gender they are.
In my opinion it's irresponsible for parents to allow a first grader to determine what type of food they want to eat.
In my opinion it's irresponsible for parents to allow a first grade to eat what ever type of food they want to eat.
In my opinion it's irresponsible for parents to allow a first grader to play sports where they could get seriously injured.
In my opinion it's irresponsible for parents to allow a first grader to not be involved in sports where they learn team work and have physical exercise.

See, opinions on someone else's first grader mean very little, because all of those sound like absolutely valid arguments. Certainly we can all agree that we shouldn't let first graders do heroine, or murder their siblings, but besides that what is or isn't right to teach a kid is completely subjective to the society you live in.

Fortunately what you say isn't true at least in the USA, children don't have a right to determine for themselves what rules they wish to live by. In fact a parent or school do and should govern child behavior because most of us are going to have to learn how to live in a community with other people. You might want to read 'The Lord of the Flies' to see what happens when authority disappears.   
Albert Einstein

Baruch

Quote from: Drew_2017 on August 29, 2017, 08:11:43 PM
Fortunately what you say isn't true at least in the USA, children don't have a right to determine for themselves what rules they wish to live by. In fact a parent or school do and should govern child behavior because most of us are going to have to learn how to live in a community with other people. You might want to read 'The Lord of the Flies' to see what happens when authority disappears.

For the Left, children are yet another oppressed minority, that needs liberation by Castroites.  I will be glad when all civil rights are removed from everyone.  You are not entitled to shit, you aren't the Queen of England.  Then nobody, majority included, can struggle for their imagined rights, and the political vermin can't use that to exploit for votes and paid demonstrators.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Quote from: Drew_2017 on August 29, 2017, 08:11:43 PM

Nothing you said contradicts what I said.

Munch

Yeah its all subjective, except, oh I dunno, giving kids structure through rules so they grow up into stable adults like my mother did for me and my brother, like he does now with his kids
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on August 30, 2017, 07:34:10 AM
Yeah its all subjective, except, oh I dunno, giving kids structure through rules so they grow up into stable adults like my mother did for me and my brother, like he does now with his kids

That doesn't serve Left Anarchism.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.