News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Abuse by big data ...

Started by Baruch, August 26, 2017, 08:03:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

1. Much of the data is gathered without the knowledge of the victims, or against their wishes when they do know of the gathering
2. Algorithms are used, which either embed the prejudices of some programmer, or are AI algorithms that write themselves (data trained parameters) that nobody as a result understands

Cathy O'Neil is an expert on this subject ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkZfYBwvtcQ

I have followed her blog for years.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Sorginak

She should have been gathering data on "what color to not dye your hair" and "how to not have your wardrobe clash with your clown hair". 

Mike Cl

Quote from: Sorginak on August 26, 2017, 09:17:16 AM
She should have been gathering data on "what color to not dye your hair" and "how to not have your wardrobe clash with your clown hair".
Really?  How astute.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 26, 2017, 10:03:15 AM
Really?  How astute.

Unfortunately, if one has a unique opinion, it is hard to draw appropriate statistical conclusions, or other machine learning stuff.  And "ad hominem" is pretty common here, among the "so called" rationalists.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on August 26, 2017, 11:01:06 AM
Unfortunately, if one has a unique opinion, it is hard to draw appropriate statistical conclusions, or other machine learning stuff.  And "ad hominem" is pretty common here, among the "so called" rationalists.
I have found that as I age, I am more and more drawn to people with 'clown' hair and who dress to a 'different drummer'.  They often have a different slant on things and are usually more interesting.  They flaunt the 'how you gotta look' police--I like that.  Seems to show courage and an internal knowledge of themselves and what they are about.  I wish I had come to something like that much, much younger.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

pr126

Baruch wrote:
QuoteAnd "ad hominem" is pretty common here, among the "so called" rationalists.
Actually, it is called "free thinking".

Sorginak

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 26, 2017, 11:32:55 AM
I have found that as I age, I am more and more drawn to people with 'clown' hair and who dress to a 'different drummer'.  They often have a different slant on things and are usually more interesting.  They flaunt the 'how you gotta look' police--I like that.  Seems to show courage and an internal knowledge of themselves and what they are about.  I wish I had come to something like that much, much younger.

I got my lip pierced in my late thirties, and I still have the piercing.  ;)

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 26, 2017, 08:03:20 AM
1. Much of the data is gathered without the knowledge of the victims, or against their wishes when they do know of the gathering
2. Algorithms are used, which either embed the prejudices of some programmer, or are AI algorithms that write themselves (data trained parameters) that nobody as a result understands

Cathy O'Neil is an expert on this subject ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkZfYBwvtcQ

I have followed her blog for years.

Lets see.  A better hair style and colorist, better clothes, Yeah she would be be just as smart as she already is...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Mike Cl

Quote from: Sorginak on August 26, 2017, 12:01:20 PM
I got my lip pierced in my late thirties, and I still have the piercing.  ;)
Ouch!

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 26, 2017, 11:32:55 AM

So you are turning gay, but only attracted to Willy Wonka?  Kinky.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Sorginak

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 26, 2017, 03:20:12 PM
Ouch!

Getting it pierced didn't hurt.  It was the week of a swollen lip that was more annoying. 

Baruch

Quote from: Sorginak on August 26, 2017, 03:30:54 PM
Getting it pierced didn't hurt.  It was the week of a swollen lip that was more annoying.

Kiss like an Aztec?  Also those really big cylinder earrings that expand the ear piercing huge.  Tattoos are also a sign of ... barbarism ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 26, 2017, 03:44:06 PM
Kiss like an Aztec?  Also those really big cylinder earrings that expand the ear piercing huge.  Tattoos are also a sign of ... barbarism ;-)

The only piercings I get are from bramble thorns and splinters.  I don't even have any bumberstixkers on my car.

I'm considering one though:  "BE ALERT (This country needs more LERTS")

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!